Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > Alpha, Beta Software Testing Programs > Closed Alpha and Beta Programs > CLOSED: 5.6 Software Release
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2011, 02:39 PM   #1
DMG741@gmail.com

Default Not Ready for Prime Time?

I run a Dell HD monitor with my Dell laptop. I use the Kensington Docking Station,which uses Display Link technology, (although I've tried the Targaus unit as well) as a means of conecting my external monitor to my laptop. That is, I connect the external monitor to the docking station witha DVI cable, then the docking station to the laptop through a USB cable.
No matter what I do, I've never really had good video through a docking station. Specifcially, the video has been fuzzy and sort of "jumpy" rather than smooth.
The only thing that seems to work is to connect use a VGA cable to connect the monitor directly into the side of the laptop.

I just downloaded the latest Display Link drivers, and tried my docking station again.
Results: the video was good. Clear as a bell, but-- it was still jumpy, not smooth as far as windows openning, and video movement goes. It looks like the Display Link drivers are definitely getting better, but as I titled this post, not quite ready for prime time.

Anyway just wondering if there's anything I can still try, or if getting high quality video through a docking station and a USB cable is too much to ask.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:58 AM   #2
Pawel

Lightbulb

Please download the Windows DisplayLink debug tool from this website, then gather the system information and upload the zip file to this thread for analysis. (delete memory.dmp file if the zip file is too large to upload)

Thanks
Old 02-21-2011, 12:06 PM   #3
DMG741@gmail.com

Thumbs up Re: Not ready for Prime Time?

Here's the zip file.
I had to delete the memory.dmp.
Attached Files
File Type: zip 20110221_074750.zip (2.61 MB, 635 views)
Old 02-21-2011, 12:49 PM   #4
Pawel

Lightbulb

Could you please update your primary Graphics Driver: 8.632.1.2000 Dated 2009-08-17 and see if the video is still jumpy?

Thanks
Old 02-21-2011, 02:58 PM   #5
DMG741@gmail.com

Not sure which driver that refers to.
Is that the DisplayLink driver or the driver for my graphics card?
Sorry for the confusion.
Old 02-21-2011, 03:26 PM   #6
DMG741@gmail.com

OK, I figured it out. I updated the graphics drivers for my computer's graphics card. It made a BIG difference. Still not as smooth as going directly into the laptop with the VGA cable but better than ever.

I'll try living with this and see if it's OK.

Is there any other adjustment, or things to change around in the new updated graphics Control Panel I should know about?

BTW, thanks for your help, dude.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:47 AM   #7
Pawel

Lightbulb

I'm glad it made a difference. I don't think there is anything else that could be done although please re-run the support tool and attach another set of logs for analysis.

Thanks