Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software

Old 09-27-2017, 12:08 AM   #1
wlightning

Default Transparent Context menu in PhpStorm missing contents

Hi,
I am on macOS High sierra with DisplayLink driver 4.0.0.85514.0 with an ASUS PB238 utilizing Plugable's USB-C docking station.

In phpStorm when I pull up a context menu on the USB driven monitor, the context menu's contents are blank, however when I do it on a display built into my laptop. I can see the context menu.

On an off side. I noticed that any display built in or or on USB-C passthru uses my Radeon Pro 455 graphics card, but the USB driven monitor uses the Intel HD graphics 530. I'm curious to the reason for this? (It doesn't actually cause me any issues yet in my scenario)

Enviroment is on:
MacBookPro13,3
wlightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 11:18 AM   #2
Carlo
Mac Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlightning View Post
Hi,
I am on macOS High sierra with DisplayLink driver 4.0.0.85514.0 with an ASUS PB238 utilizing Plugable's USB-C docking station.

In phpStorm when I pull up a context menu on the USB driven monitor, the context menu's contents are blank, however when I do it on a display built into my laptop. I can see the context menu.

On an off side. I noticed that any display built in or or on USB-C passthru uses my Radeon Pro 455 graphics card, but the USB driven monitor uses the Intel HD graphics 530. I'm curious to the reason for this? (It doesn't actually cause me any issues yet in my scenario)

Enviroment is on:
MacBookPro13,3
Very interesting.

Yes our rendering on recent systems with 10.13 is happening on the Intel GPU. I can't repro on a MacBook Air or your same model. Tried different monitor combinations and still cannot reproduce.

It looks like the UI of phpStorm is not using standard UI classes, looks like a Java application which may have problems in some cases but we can't identify which is the trigger.
What happens connecting just the DisplayLink screens or changing the main screen in the arrangement tab in the Displays system preference (by moving the menu bar).

Cheers
Carlo
Carlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 11:07 PM   #3
wlightning

Attached is a recording of it happening. It also is inconnsistant, but happens often.

As for your questions:

Quote:
What happens connecting just the DisplayLink screens
Answer: Issue goes away (only one screen at that point)

Quote:
changing the main screen in the arrangement tab in the Displays system preference (by moving the menu bar)
Answer: If the main screen is set to the USB display, the USB display ceases to have issues, however then the other (pass-thru USB-C) screens start presenting the same issues.

Some other scenarios I tried:

Only native/passthu displays (2 displays)
Issue does not present itself in any way.
Only native display
Issue does not present itself.
One USB display + native display
Issue presents on whichever screen is not main.
Passthru/Native/USB with USB set as main
You'll not only see phpStorm issue on Passthru and Native, but tearing of other graphics too... minimizing from USB screen tears across the Chrome screen in the Passthru.
Thoughts:

Maybe this is related to windows rendering to multiple displays on different graphics cards?
Attached Files
File Type: zip phpstormissue.mov.zip (424.8 KB, 2 views)
Old 09-28-2017, 06:51 PM   #4
Carlo
Mac Team

We have a reproduction!

Next, analysis. Still unsure whether it's an OS bug and/or we can do something about it.
Will update as soon as we find more information.

Regards,
Carlo
Old 09-28-2017, 07:06 PM   #5
wlightning

Thumbs up

Excellent. Thanks!

Looking forward to your next update.
Old 10-03-2017, 10:43 AM   #6
Carlo
Mac Team

We checked the multiple GPU theory with an external GPU (eGPU) and we can reproduce there as well. This definitely puts the issue in Apple's court so we're going to open a bug on bugreporter. We'd suggest you to open a bug with Apple too, on bugreporter or on the normal support channel if you are not a developer.

In terms of workarounds this is very tricky indeed. Let's see if we can come up with something that does not cause issues elsewhere.

Carlo