Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software

Old 10-29-2021, 06:05 AM   #1
ajw2021

Exclamation MacOS DisplayLink Manager Screen Recording permission blocks streaming (Netflix, etc)

Video streaming services such as Netflix, HBO Max, Amazon Prime, etc. show a black screen and only play audio when the permission is enabled (permission-enabled required to use monitor). This is due to their intellectual property safeguards, but the DisplayLink software should NOT cause this to happen through such interference.

2020 MacBook Air M1 running latest MacOS Monterey
Browser: Safari Version 15.1 (I've tested this on Chrome too - no difference)
DisplayLink Manager 1.5.0 (Build 58.125)
ASUS ZenScreen MB16ACE 15.6” Portable USB Type-C Monitor

Without the permission enabled (and hence the DisplayLink software running), the monitor does not work!!!

This is unacceptable as it renders the expensive monitor useless for watching video streaming services. The DisplayLink software should NOT interfere with common user activities such as this. Urgent fix is needed.
ajw2021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 04:18 PM   #2
paultzirides

Angry Agree and bump

I do not know how everyone else views this issue, but it makes DisplayLink on macOS somewhat embarrassing. On Windows, users have few (if any) limitations. Granted, Windows is a dumpster fire, but I do not know why this is such an issue on macOS and cannot be rewritten to allow all of the native functions in the OS.
paultzirides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 05:05 PM   #3
Meadowend

Default Is this OS dependent?

I've just hit this issue (with NOW TV streaming) - I'm running Catalina. The DisplayLink information says that Catalina needs screen recording permission to access the pixels to redisplay them. Is this not the case with Big Sur (for instance)? Should I upgrade?

Thanks
Meadowend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 01:54 PM   #4
lgcwow

Unhappy I have the same issues on playing Netflix or Disney+ using displaylink

I have the same issues as yours on playback Netflix and Disney+ using DisplayLink. However, I don't know how to resolve it because I need to work on 3 monitors but I want to reserve one screen for watching video streaming.
Can anyone help me the solution??
lgcwow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 06:31 PM   #5
madias

I'm having the same issue after update Monterey for 12.3.1
madias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 09:25 PM   #6
azwildcat

Default Same issue

I wasn't having this issue until today. I think my computer automatically updated something and now I'm having dark screens with video. However, if I connect a screen individually to my computer it does get video but I can't use the other two screens. Any ideas on how to fix? It was fine before today.
azwildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 09:31 PM   #7
mycreativepixel

Default Same issue

It apparently happened over the weekend. I can hear my video and see subtitles but video shows nothing. PLEASE FIX ASAP as this should be a VERY basic thing for users.
mycreativepixel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 10:32 PM   #8
azwildcat

Default Same, happened over the weekend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycreativepixel View Post
It apparently happened over the weekend. I can hear my video and see subtitles but video shows nothing. PLEASE FIX ASAP as this should be a VERY basic thing for users.
I hope they fix it soon, I actually spoke with someone right away when I sent them an email, hopefully they'll get someone to figure it out.
azwildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 02:08 AM   #9
lgcwow

Angry

Quote:
I think the background update of iOS make it happen. How to fix it?
lgcwow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 02:21 AM   #10
kenna

Thumbs down Streaming issues-- absolutely ridiculous

Quote:
This is extremely frustrating and totally defeats the purpose of buying this relatively expensive hub to use multiple monitors. And it seems like a pretty big problem too... The screen recording feature is the core feature that the Display Link systems use to project windows across more than one display with the new M1 chips in Macs. Will Display Link even be able to release a driver update to get around this incompatibility with streaming services? I don't have the money to blow on another expensive hub and will be leaving very negative reviews for this system. What a waste.
kenna is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
permission, recording, screen, streaming, video