Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software

Old 06-04-2015, 11:18 AM   #1
Carlo
Mac Team

Default Beta 2 fixes and feedback

Hi All,

First of all many thanks to everyone who fed back about the beta 1. This was by far the most useful feedback we've ever received!

We have fixed several issues reported on the forum and others we have found internally. The complete list is in the release note but upgrading to the new beta is recommended to everyone.

You can download it here: http://www.displaylink.com/downloads/mac_downloads.php

Some issues are still outside our control but we're continuing to look for workarounds and have high hopes for improvements at WWDC next week.

Let us know how this new beta works for you!

Best regards,
Carlo
Carlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 05:56 AM   #2
luckman212

Thanks! Trying this one out now
luckman212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 12:58 PM   #3
akprasad

Been using 2.4 beta 2 for a few days now.

This release seems to have fixed all problems for me and is working flawlessly so far.

Setup is Macbook Air mid 2012, Yosemite 10.10.3. One monitor direct VGA to mini displayport, two other monitors with Displaylink adaptors via USB.

Last edited by akprasad; 06-08-2015 at 01:01 PM.
akprasad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 04:03 PM   #4
JeanP

No issues - so long - Everyting works like a charm.

Mac Mini 10.10.3 (14D136), 3 GHZ Intel Core i7, 16GB

3 HP Pavillion 23 xi Monitors: 1 direct HDMI-HDMI, 2 with Newertech Adapters via USB 3.0.
JeanP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 01:27 PM   #5
justme

i have just rolled back to beta 1.

in beta 2 tap to klick on the magic trackpad was gone and the system was very very sluggish.

beta 1 works nearly without any problems.

the only remaining problem is that the display link displays repeatedly go black for a few seconds if the colleague across the table stands up. it is nearly 100% reproducible but it is not loose contact....
justme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 11:55 AM   #6
D43m0n

I've installed beta 2 on 10.10.3 and have had two freeze's of all my screens (builtin screen on MBA and 2 display link screens) already this morning. On the first occasion, unplugging, waiting for the windows to pop back to the builtin screen and replugging USB again was sufficient to get rid of the freeze up.

The second occasion however I had to force shutdown my MBA (by pressing and holding the power button) to get my MBA to respond again...

I've had freeze up's with beta 1, but not so "heavy" within 1 hour as with beta 2. If the next freeze up occurs too soon, I'll go back to beta 1.

[deep sigh]
D43m0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 08:40 AM   #7
shad0wca7

Thumbs up

Great job so far guys. I recently bought a Dell D3100 to use with my MacBook Air and it's awesome having this laptop drive three displays.

Overall it works great but there are a number of things to report in:

- Safari flickers quite a lot at the top (known)
- Accessing Mission Control seems incredibly slow (system pauses for a few seconds then goes slowly into mission control - the quality of the image for this on the displays using USB is low). Switching desktops etc by swiping seems fine though
- The displays over USB3.0 don't have transparency in the main OSX interface, is this normal?

Edit. I've just found you can eliminate the flickering etc by enabling 'reduce transparency' when the DisplayLink dock is connected - since transparency doesn't seem to work correctly anyway then this works great. I've got another post waiting approval where I describe how this can all be done automatically

Last edited by shad0wca7; 06-18-2015 at 09:24 AM.
shad0wca7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 07:00 AM   #8
D43m0n

I've experienced a high cpu usage multiple times. When checking with Activity Monitor I see WindowServer and DisplayLinkManager both change coins on about 70% CPU usage on all 4 threads of the CPU. I've updated to 10.10.4 last week, I've seen this before on 10.10.3 too.

I noticed the CPU usage because of the fan noise that came from my MBA, it normally doesn't do that without me starting a CPU intensive task, when it does, I check Activity Monitor and check the CPU and see both WindowServer and DisplayLinkManager consuming more than half of the CPU resources.

I've got two Philips 231P monitors daisy chained and usually have Safari opened with a couple of tabs, Microsoft Outlook and a few terminal screens. Closing most opened screens/programs didn't seem to take effect within 5 minutes (that usually does the trick when something is causing a high CPU usage).
D43m0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 01:15 PM   #9
imercado

Default 2.4b2 still crashing Yosemite desktop

On early 2011 MacBook Pro 8,3. Again, this happened during times of high desktop animation, during four finger swipe up to view all open apps. This was a problem I had with 2.3 and earlier 2.4 beta drivers. Unfortunately, I was out of the office most of the month of June so didn't have much test time to put in against 2.4b2.

I see that 2.4 release is now available. I will load that onto my Yosemite install and see how long I can make it go under normal use before it crashes the desktop (maybe it won't!).

I still have my Mavericks install to use for day-in-day out work, as I have rarely (only once) had the 2.3 driver crash on Mavericks when using the desktop zoom feature. I may actually still be using the 2.2 driver on Mavericks...not sure how to check which driver version I am running.

Good luck, all!

Ian
imercado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 04:56 PM   #10
themcbrooms

I have / notice the same transparency issue(s) in El Cap, thanks for the temporary fix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shad0wca7 View Post
Great job so far guys. I recently bought a Dell D3100 to use with my MacBook Air and it's awesome having this laptop drive three displays.

Overall it works great but there are a number of things to report in:

- Safari flickers quite a lot at the top (known)
- Accessing Mission Control seems incredibly slow (system pauses for a few seconds then goes slowly into mission control - the quality of the image for this on the displays using USB is low). Switching desktops etc by swiping seems fine though
- The displays over USB3.0 don't have transparency in the main OSX interface, is this normal?

Edit. I've just found you can eliminate the flickering etc by enabling 'reduce transparency' when the DisplayLink dock is connected - since transparency doesn't seem to work correctly anyway then this works great. I've got another post waiting approval where I describe how this can all be done automatically
themcbrooms is offline   Reply With Quote