Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2013, 09:07 AM   #1
leed

Angry Win7 64bit - continuous BSOD after update

Hi,

I have a laptop, and I have two screens at my office and two screens at home. One screen goes straight to the laptop and the other via a DisplayLink USB adapter. It has all been working well for over a year.

The other day (9th May 2013) when I was in the office, the screen attached to the DisplayLink USB adapter froze. It is connected via a USB hub, and instead of disconnecting the hub (as I normally do when this occasionally happens) I disconnected it from the hub. Later on I plugged it back in, but via a seperate port on the hub, and this triggered a software download.

I am not sure what version of software I was using before, but it downloaded the 7.2.47157.0 driver.

After updating the sogtware, the laptop just froze with blackscreens on each monitor. The fans started whirring away, and I thought that it was going to take off! I had to press and hold the on/off button to force it to shut down, and it would only startup again with the display link disconnected. Once started, I plugged the Display Link in, and it worked. However, on shutting down, it just goes to a black screen and starts whirring away. I also sometimes get the BSOD.

I tried updating the software to a newer version (7.2.47419.0), but this completely screwed the machine, and I had to use the Windows Recovery options to get the laptop working again. I tried reverting back to an earlier version of the software (6.3), but this has had no effect, and it automatically updated it anyway when I plugged the laptop back in at home. It is back on to 7.2.47157.0.

So now, I have a laptop that gives me a BSOD if I start it with the USB adapter plugged in, and some times gives me a BSOD after it has started but then I plug the adapter in. If it does work, and I am able to use the third monitor, it sometimes crashes with the BSOD. When I do manage to get the third screen working, I cannot shut it down, as all the screens go black and it starts whirring.

Any advice would be appreciated, as everything I have tried to do has failed.

Thanks.
leed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:29 AM   #2
leed

Angry

Can no-one help me?

My computer just blue screened again, and has taken me 2 hours to get back up and running.

The DisplayLink software is an absolute pile of rubbish.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:05 AM   #3
JamesH

Hi,

Please post the logs from your system after you get the BSOD as described here: http://www.displaylink.com/support/ticket.php?id=269

It's also worth checking if you have the latest version of the graphics driver installed.

Thanks,
James
JamesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 12:45 PM   #4
leed

Hi JamesH,

I followed your URL, found the Tools, and updated my USB3.0 Host Controller driver. I thought that that might resolve it. After this I enabled debugging. Then, I plugged the Display link usb back in and it still crashed. I have three completely black screens, and can only start the machine in safe mode. I will need to restore from a system recovery point again in a minute.

I have some logs created by the support tool, but this was prior to the latest crash. Are there other logs that I can grab having turned the debug on under Advanced Mode?

Are these files safe to upload here?
Old 05-23-2013, 02:06 PM   #5
leed

Default Support Files

Hi JamesH,

I have created the support files again. There are now two sets. Can I send these to you directly, as I would rather not leave them on a public website!

I have just restored to a recovery point just after updating my USB3.0 Host Controller Driver. Before restoring, I could only start up in safe mode. I have a laptop, and two asus monitors. If I try to log in normally, all the 3 screens are black.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 05-23-2013, 03:48 PM   #6
JamesH

Hi,

Just PM'd you with details of where to send the logs.

Thanks,
James
Old 05-23-2013, 05:13 PM   #7
JamesH

Hi,

Got your logs - can you install the latest graphics drivers for your system and let me know if you still get BSODs?

Thanks,
James
Old 05-24-2013, 07:55 AM   #8
leed

Hi James,

I downloaded and installed the driver. It has a version of 7.2.47873.0. I then plugged the adapter in, and stopped it from going to Windows Update for the driver (as this gets the older 7.2.47157.0 driver, which was as per the support files that you already have). It sets it up, starts screen flashing, and then the same thing happens - 3 black screens.

Again, I had to force the machine to shutdown, startup in safe mode and restore to a recovery point.

I have grabbed the latest support files and have emailed these to you.

Regards,

Lee
Old 05-24-2013, 07:59 AM   #9
leed

For what its worth, 6 mopnths ago I swapped my HDD for a solid state drive, and used a tool to diskcopy. I have checked the version of the driver that was installed and it was 5.6.31854.

This was therefore the version that I had before plugging the adapter into a different usb port, which kicked off the driver refresh.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:46 PM   #10
JamesH

Quote:
Originally Posted by leed View Post
Hi James,

I downloaded and installed the driver. It has a version of 7.2.47873.0. I then plugged the adapter in, and stopped it from going to Windows Update for the driver (as this gets the older 7.2.47157.0 driver, which was as per the support files that you already have). It sets it up, starts screen flashing, and then the same thing happens - 3 black screens.

Again, I had to force the machine to shutdown, startup in safe mode and restore to a recovery point.

I have grabbed the latest support files and have emailed these to you.

Regards,

Lee
Hi,

Sorry - I was referring to the latest version of the Nvidia graphics driver for your notebook.

Thanks,
James