Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software

Old 02-20-2013, 06:14 PM   #11
Dan Santee

Interesting, my post to this thread last night never showed up. Anyway, I'm using a Surface Pro and having the exact same problem as described here. I tested it by uninstalling the DisplayLink software and the Modern UI apps went back to normal, then I reinstalled DisplayLink and they are extremely slow to load again.
Dan Santee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:17 PM   #12
davis1202

I am also having the same issue.....using a Dell 6430u with HD4000 graphics adapter....driver ver. 9.17.10.2932 dated 12/12/12.

In addition, I also experience a mouse freezing issue for about 1-2 seconds intermittently.

Last edited by davis1202; 02-22-2013 at 01:36 PM.
davis1202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:56 PM   #13
ChouPigu

Did some troubleshooting last night on my Surface Pro 128, and traced the Metro app delay to just having the Display Link software installed. Was relieved to see it's not just me. Hoping for a fix soon!
ChouPigu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:29 PM   #14
Wim

OK - We have reproduced and now investigating why this happens...

Wim
Wim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:11 AM   #15
Dan Santee

Any progress on this? I know it's only been about a week, but I find myself constantly removing and reinstalling the software because of the huge performance impact. Thanks!
Old 03-01-2013, 06:07 PM   #16
cme4oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wim View Post
OK - We have reproduced and now investigating why this happens...

Wim
I would like to know if any progress has been made on this as well.. Love DisplayLink, Hate the effect it has on Modern UI apps.
cme4oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:53 PM   #17
Wim

Yes - It's being worked on at the moment.

Wim
Wim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 05:07 PM   #18
Michel_K17

Default Work-around that works!

Good news! I found a work-around that does the trick [here].

Here is what it says:

Quote:
After some more testing I discovered that changing IE 10's Advanced settings to Enable Software Rendering (instead of GPU rendering) made the metro apps load in ~2 seconds! Great! But now my CPU is being consumed doing the display rendering, eating up more battery.

I then recalled that the USB 3.0 docking station I was testing installed a DisplayLink display driver when I set it up originally. So on a hunch, I uninstalled the DisplayLink software and driver (from Add/Remove programs), disabled Software Rendering in IE 10 and rebooted.

And it worked! Metro Apps now load fast! It's a much different experience. So the USB 3.0 docking station driver was at fault. Hope this helps anyone else having a similar issue.
Note: Go to: Internet Options >> Advanced Tab >> Accelerated Graphics topic (1st one) >> Select Use Software Rendering instead of GPU* (*requires restart)

In my case (Surface Pro), I simply changed the Internet Setting above, and kept the DisplayLink drivers intact, and it all works. The change in CPU usage seems minimal to me (looking at the Task Manager Performance screen). At least this will keep me going until a permanent fix comes from the DisplayLink folks (can't wait).

Cheers!
Michel_K17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:56 PM   #19
Dan Santee

This has helped a lot, thanks! I'll keep an eye out for any other changes it may have made, but this at least makes my computer usable again.
Old 03-11-2013, 02:21 PM   #20
jimmyzshack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michel_K17 View Post
Good news! I found a work-around that does the trick [here].

Here is what it says:

Note: Go to: Internet Options >> Advanced Tab >> Accelerated Graphics topic (1st one) >> Select Use Software Rendering instead of GPU* (*requires restart)

In my case (Surface Pro), I simply changed the Internet Setting above, and kept the DisplayLink drivers intact, and it all works. The change in CPU usage seems minimal to me (looking at the Task Manager Performance screen). At least this will keep me going until a permanent fix comes from the DisplayLink folks (can't wait).

Cheers!
Thanks for the work around. Works on the dell xps 12 also.
jimmyzshack is offline   Reply With Quote