Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software

Old 09-21-2015, 02:46 PM   #1
mggoodier

Default Dell D3100 dock + 9020M PC - blank/black dock monitor

We would like to adopt the Dell D3100 DisplayLink docking station as a corporate standard device...but it has failed to work on the first test of making it drive a single external monitor!

How often does the issue occur?
All the time. It has never worked since I first installed the software on the PC and plugged in the USB3 dock.

How do you invoke the issue?
Plug in USB3 dock. Use Dell DisplayLink Manager to select "Extend to Left". Monitor connected to DisplayPort on dock then comes out of standby and 'displays' DisplayPort connection...which is always blank/black.

How do you recover from the issue?
N/A - I can't recover because it has never worked

Was the issue present in older versions of DisplayLink software?
I initially tried using used the version of DisplayLink software packaged for download on the Dell website for the D3100.
After that failed to work, and as the dell manual points you to the DisplayLink main website for help, I downloaded and installed the latest version from DisplayLink website. Still not working.

I then followed through the troubleshooting guide pinned to the top of this forum. There are no newer Dell Intel graphics drivers (and Intel generic ones refuse to install) but I did install latest generic USB chipset drivers from Intel website. Still not working.

Then I ran the data gathering tool in 'full mode' before posting here.

How are you connected to the DisplayLink device? Directly or through a USB hub?
The Dell D3100 DisplayLink device is connected using its supplied USB3 A<->B cable to the USB3 port on the 9020M PC. The 9020M PC has 2 front USB ports and 4 rear, and I can't make it work with any of them. Note that as far as I am aware (and as is labelled on the PC) ALL 6 ports are USB3 ports. The only device connected to the D3100 is a single Dell U2412 via DisplayPort. (this monitor and DisplayPort cable have been proven working by swapping with the direct connection as the main monitor on the PC's in-built DisplayPort).

Please find attached the zip file output of the analysis tool.

Thank you in anticipation of further help and advice to find a resolution,
Malcolm
Attached Files
File Type: zip DLON8T91842_20150921_085603.zip (2.57 MB, 1 views)
mggoodier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 05:08 PM   #2
JamesH

Hi,

Can you try these steps?

1. Disconnect your dock
2. Uninstall DisplayLink software http://www.displaylink.com/downloads/sla.php?fileid=165
3. Run the cleaner tool from here http://www.displaylink.com/downloads/sla.php?fileid=121
4. Install DisplayLink software
5. Reconnect your dock

Thanks,
James
JamesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 12:34 PM   #3
mggoodier

Hi James

Firstly, thanks for getting back with suggestions to try - here's what I did:

1. Disconnect your dock
Unplugged USB cable from PC

2. Uninstall DisplayLink software http://www.displaylink.com/downloads/sla.php?fileid=165
I logged in as an admin capable account and used windows 7 'programs and features' to uninstall the 'DisplayLink Graphics'. I allowed the uninstaller to shutdown programs as it requested, and allowed it to immediately reboot the PC. After the reboot both the 'DisplayLink Graphics' and 'DisplayLink Core Software' items had been uninstalled from 'Programs and Features'

3. Run the cleaner tool from here http://www.displaylink.com/downloads/sla.php?fileid=121
I downloaded and unzipped this file, and then did a 'run as administrator' on EndUserCleaner.Exe v2.4.51572.0. This completed successfully. I then rebooted the PC again.

4. Install DisplayLink software
I then installed via run as administrator the latest software v7.9M2 again as downloaded from http://www.displaylink.com/downloads/sla.php?fileid=165. When prompted during the installation process I reconnected the dock via USB3 and all drivers installed without any errors. The install completed successfully and then I rebooted the PC.

5. Reconnect your dock
Despite disconnecting and reconnecting, and powering the dock on/off both connected and disconnected form the PC, the symptoms are unchanged from before. That is, it has never worked with the external monitor on the DisplayPort connector of the Dock even though the monitor is recognised fully by Windows (can see model number details via data interrogation of the monitor) and it's power status can be controlled by the DisplayLink software (choosing off makes it go into standby; choosing extend-left makes it wake up but screen stays black, no mouse cursor or anything).

So, unfortunately it is still not working and has still never worked.

I've re-run the advanced diagnostics tool again and attached the new zip file.

What do you suggest to try next, please?

thanks
Malcolm
Attached Files
File Type: zip DLON8T91842_20150922_102920.zip (1.05 MB, 2 views)
Old 09-23-2015, 03:11 PM   #4
JamesH

Hi,

I've looked into this and it appears to be a manufacturing issue.

Please return for a replacement.

Thanks,
James
JamesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 04:14 PM   #5
mggoodier

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesH View Post
it appears to be a manufacturing issue.
James

please can you explain why it 'appears' to be a manufacturing issue?

I bought 10 of these docks and 8 are working fine with XPS13 laptops running windows 8.1. I've only got 2 left and was about to buy 50 more for use with 9020s under Windows 7. Neither of my remaining docks works with 9020 and windows 7.

Do I need to recall and replace the other 8 before something disastrous happened to end-users?

How do I know that I will get replacements that don't suffer from the 'manufacturing issue'? That is, is there a batch number or date on the bottom sticker I should be checking, or some utility I need to run to interrogate the docks for internal version information?

Many thanks
Malcolm
Old 09-30-2015, 02:12 PM   #6
mggoodier

Default Workaround in place - help with permanent fix please?

James

IT IS NOT A HARDWARE FAULT - because I've made it work by selective disabling of drivers to find a temporary workaround!
  1. Please can you advise if there are any known compatibility issues between specific versions of Citrix Display Driver, HD 4600 Graphics driver and DisplayLink driver?
  2. Or more positively, please can you specify a defined set of versions of Citrix Display Driver, HD 4600 Graphics driver and DisplayLink driver that have been proven to co-exist together properly?

Having Googled round in circles about DisplayLink and Intel HD Graphics I found mentions in Intel forums that HD graphics drivers may be an issue for HDMI (not relevant to me using DisplayPort but I was clutching at straws.)

The frequent suggestion was that when logged in with Admin privilege to go into Control Panel->Device Manager->Display Adapters and right-click->disable on the HD graphics adapter. This was obviously a courageous thing to do given I only have one graphics adapter in the PC and its the i7 core built-in HD graphics. Amazingly, when I did this the monitor connected to the PC switched off...and the monitor connected to the D3100 displayed the desktop in full default resolution working perfectly!!! This option survived a reboot, with the weirdness that the CTRL+ALT+DEL screen shows on both monitors, then once logged in I only have working display via D3100 dock.

I assumed that with HD Graphics disabled it must be using the built-in Microsoft display driver (which I think is why you see both screens working before login)...but I was wrong! Right-clicking on the desktop background, going into screen resolution and picked advanced options showed that the operational display adapter was the "Citrix Display Driver (Citrix Systems -WDDM)" v7.6.0.5006. This driver is installed as part of the Citrix VDA 7.6 client installation that is part ox XenApp 7.6 Remote PC enablement.

Armed with this information I re-enabled the HD Graphics (back to only one working monitor direct attached to PC), and then disabled the Citrix Display Driver (Citrix Systems - WDDM). My Dell Dock 3100 is now working to show an extended desktop on my second monitor (attached to dock via DisplayPort) together with the display port attached main monitor direct attached to the PC. This set-up has also serviced a reboot. So, I have a workaround for dual-monitor via D3100 dock on Dell 9020 running Windows 7 BUT ONLY if I disable Citrix Remote PC functionality.

Yours hopeful you'll have some proven combinations for me (and thankful that I probably don't have to replace hardware),
Malcolm

Tags
9020m, d3100, dell