Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software

Old 03-20-2018, 10:30 PM   #91
Alanant

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLguy View Post
So basically, whoever has Display Link devices for any apple computer pre 2016 is no longer supported?

No, I don't think that's the case. I'm sure somebody will correct me if I'm wrong but DisplayLink is not classified as an eGPU. The DisplayLink software is a proprietary Virtual Graphics Card which communicates with their Hardware Rendering Engine which is in the docks we are all using from a bunch of different manufacturers. DisplayLink need to update their VGC software.
Alanant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 11:33 PM   #92
Alanant

There is an Apple event on the 27th of this month. I think there is a good chance they will announce the availability of 10.13.4 (and break every DisplayLink device hooked up to a Mac).
Old 03-21-2018, 08:15 PM   #93
DLguy

We are in the hands of Display Link. Basically if they decide to move forward and make it compatible we are ok, if not we all have to invest another $200 for a dock/hub.
All we can do is hope for support. We are counting on the DisplayLink team!!!
DLguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 09:06 PM   #94
slvrscoobie

Quote:
We are in the hands of Display Link. Basically if they decide to move forward and make it compatible we are ok, if not we all have to invest another $200 for a dock/hub.
Go DisplayLink Team! Go!
Go DisplayLink Team! Go!
slvrscoobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 10:17 PM   #95
Poly

Quote:
I hope you're right. But I also think that Apple needs to cooperate. If both parties can't negotiate a solution, our dock stations become useless bricks as soon as we update to 10.13.4.
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 03:54 AM   #96
DLguy

In my honest opinion, Apple will not comply. They will say this is our new standard and this is it. Take it or leave it.
I guess we can use these DisplayLink devices for windows PC's. It works like a charm on my Dell XPS, but no video on my Mac.

To Display Link Team >>>>
Are there any tests we can do to help speed up the process to get these docks to work. Its a win win situation. We get to test, you get to make corrections and your product works, and so does ours
Old 03-22-2018, 09:42 AM   #97
Poly

Quote:
I guess we can use these DisplayLink devices for windows PC's. It works like a charm on my Dell XPS, but no video on my Mac.
Yes, the HDCP problem has never been solved. No iTunes or Netflix videos (in Safari) work, and afaik DisplayLink said Apple is to blame.

But what other options are there if you're on a MacBook with a single USB-C port and still want to use two external monitors? DisplayLink was the only working solution so far. Apple doesn't even support multi stream transport (MST) via Display Port. However, MST works like a charm on the same machine when I boot to Windows 10.
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 09:19 PM   #98
slvrscoobie

Any chance we could drop in the 13.3 gpu drivers onto the 13.4 via kext edit? I do this with the BT as the continuity wont work on the older laptops unless you trick it into using it with the old drivers. I know its not a long term solution but at least till we figure this out which is days away from being a 2 month issue.
slvrscoobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 11:58 AM   #99
DLguy

I have a MacBook Pro with 2 thunderbolt ports and 2 USB 3.0 ports. Anyone have recommendations for alternate dock/hub (with Video/USB/Ethernet/Audio)?
Old 03-26-2018, 11:12 PM   #100
Alanant

Still broken in 10.13.4 Beta 7.