Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2012, 10:20 PM   #1
cfreberg

Default Monitor shows up as generic pnp monitor in device manager

I purchased a AOC 1649fwu monitor that uses the display link driver and installed it successfully. However, it shows up as a generic pnp monitor in device manager and I can't find a way to change it. This seems to be causing problems with games I play. Specifically Command and Conquer will not load. The error implies a problem with the resolution on a monitor (which can't be changed on the generic pnp monitor).

Disconnecting the USB monitor has no effect. The game will not load after installing the monitor whether it's connected or not.

I have downloaded and installed the latest displaylink driver but that has not helped either.

I am running Windows 7 Enterprise - 64bit.
USB display adapter version - 6.3.40660.0

Any assistance would be appreciated.
cfreberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:19 AM   #2
Wim

I don't think the problem is due to the monitor not being in device manager. What error do you get when the game loads? What is your multiple monitor setup and which screen is primary? Does the game still load when you have disconnected DisplayLink screens or do you have to uninstall the software?

Wim
Wim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 01:12 PM   #3
cfreberg

The game will not load at all now no matter if the monitor is connected or not. I have a 24" Dell as my primary monitor.

Uninstalling Displaylink did not help. I have re-installed my video driver, and re-installed the game. No go.

The error I get is it says I need to have directx 8.1 or greater to play the game.
Old 09-28-2012, 11:02 AM   #4
Wim

If our software is no longer installed and you have reinstalled your primary graphics driver, I'm not sure if this is now due to a DisplayLink problem. What does dxdiag say about your graphics card DX support?

Wim
Old 09-28-2012, 12:11 PM   #5
cfreberg

I dont' think that the DisplayLink software is the cause exactly. I believe the fact that the monitor is showing up as a generic pnp monitor in device manager (and the DisplayLink driver would have an impact on that correct?) is causing problems with the game. I'm hoping you can offer some assistance or give me ideas I can try to get the monitor to be properly recognized.

The game played fine on my computer until installing this new USB monitor, so both the computer and video card have the requirements to support the game.

Last edited by cfreberg; 09-28-2012 at 12:34 PM.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:36 PM   #6
nonpareilpearl

Angry

I just created an account and logged in to say that I have been having issues with my games as well.

I had some Steam games, Diablo III, Skryim, etc. installed prior to getting an AOC USB monitor. Everything was running fine. I got the second monitor believing that it would be easier for me to code. It's brought me nothing but pain.

I ended up returning the monitor, but I've been troubleshooting the problem with my games ever since. After I plugged in the monitor the drivers were automatically detected and installed. Although I had been playing one of my games (Diablo, for the curious) fine the night before, this first time I opened it *after* the monitor was installed I was met with this:
http://i.imgur.com/L3mum.png

Puzzled I went to Blizzard's form, had to navigate around some prefs files and make some changes using a text editor that made the game open in "windowed" mode instead of full screen. I was really irritated as Diablo did not seem to run as well in windowed mode, but I digress. Later, I tried opening Skyrim. *SAME ERROR*. I thought "well... this can't be a coincidence" so I search on THOSE forums. Guess what? That game had to be changed to windowed mode as well. Then I got curious and tried opening all the games I had installed from Steam. *Every* game that was full screen by default popped the error and had to be changed to windowed mode to open. Games in windowed mode by default opened fine *BUT* could not be changed to full screen if I wanted to - the games with that option, when changed to full screen, popped that error. Every. game. Unplugging the monitor did not change this. (Makes sense, since the software is still there...)

I started searching around to see if anyone had a solution to this. Someone mentioned that they had to just do a fresh install of the OS (of course then they needed to reinstall of their programs) to make their laptop work normally again - he said reinstalling the drivers for the graphics card had no effect. I tried it to see - I reinstalled the driver, I installed the previous version, I even installed a beta version but NONE of them solve the issue.

I have not found any information on what software installed with the driver to try and remove it. I even contacted AOC support but they never replied. I returned the monitor because it wasn't worth it. Seriously.

All I want to know is: how do I remove *everything* that was installed when the monitor was connected *without* having to do a clean install of the OS? This has definitely been one of the most frustrating tech experiences for me to date.

Last edited by nonpareilpearl; 12-02-2012 at 05:42 PM. Reason: Unclear sentence.
nonpareilpearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:38 PM   #7
Wim

You should be able to just uninstall "DisplayLink Core Software" under Programs in the Control Panel.

If that doesn't work, there is also a cleaner app here:

http://kb.displaylink.com/297

Wim