Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software

Old 10-27-2017, 08:25 AM   #1
Gemic

Default KENSINGTON sd3000 audio issues in Windows 10

Hello,

I have a kensignton sd3000 USB 3.0 docking station which, as far as i know, uses the displaylink platform.

After migrating to windows 10 on a Gigabyte Aero 15 laptop, the screen, network and USB ports work fine, but for the audio the following issues have appeared:

1. When using the USB 3.0 cable the sound output may jump to the laptop speakers although the displaylink is set as the default device. This particularly happens with chrome browser. If at the same time i open the same vid in internet explorer sound is ok. Similar behavior with Skype, when people call me the sound may or not be audible on my earphones or may jump to the laptop speakers.

2. If i use a USB 2.0 cable the problems seem to dissapear, but the standard headset makes a static hissing noise that only people at the other end of the line can hear. If i use a phone headset with an adapter that converts the single 3.5mm jack to two (one mic and one for phones) the hissing goes away.

I have tried removing the drivers, adding the latest (8.3) the cleaning tool, using only the drivers installed by windows in multiple variations and combinations but they do not seem to have any effect.

Any help would be much appreciated.

thanks a lot in advance
Gemic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 02:14 PM   #2
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Hello,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

1. This is not the device driver selecting if the output is used or not, but the operating system with the application. That issue has been reported in the past with Google Chrome only and that's why it is still believed to be Chrome issue.

2. We would need to see the logs of the machine as described in most of my other posts.
It is not expected to have a different behaviour between USB 2 and USB 3. I don't understand the comment about the dual jack. Kensington designed the SD3000 with two separate jacks. Would you please explain what is a standard headset and how you plug it in to get the hissing noise?
Depending on your version of Windows 10, you may not even use a DisplayLink audio driver but the Microsoft Windows one.

Kind regards,
Alban

Where to download the latest DisplayLink drivers
How to clean up a corrupted installation
How to report issues to DisplayLink for a speedy resolution
AlbanRampon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 07:30 AM   #3
Gemic

Hello and thank you for the response,

I understand the point for chrome, so i guess there is nothing we can do at the moment.

With respect to your question:
- Indeed the SD3000 has two jacks. One for microphone and one for "speakers"
- By headset i mean something like this: Link that does come with the two jacks. With this directly plugged i get the hissing noise.
-The option that is working at the moment is a combination of this: Link plugged in the SD3000 and this: Link

I have collected the lod and send to the indicated link, refering to this post. I generated it while using the USB2.0 cable, but if you think necessary i can repeat the process when the issue is occuring.

thank you in advance for the help

Last edited by Gemic; 10-31-2017 at 07:32 AM.
Old 11-02-2017, 10:22 AM   #4
Wim

Hi

Thanks for the links. It looks like a TRRS jack works with the dock, but a standard stereo jack causes the hissing.

I suspect Kensington have fitted a TRRS jack and when you plug in your headphones, it is grounding the mic, which causes the hissing. When you use the TRRS to audio and mic splitter it works correctly.

A good explanation of the jack types is here:
http://www.cablechick.com.au/blog/un...d-audio-jacks/

Wim
Wim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 02:19 PM   #5
Gemic

Hi again,

i see but if we set aside chrome.. when using the usb 3.0 cable the problem with the sound jumping to the laptop also on skype is there..

should i expect also some analysis from the log files i sent or consider that we are stuck with this?

thanks a lot!