Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software

Old 03-28-2023, 03:56 PM   #1
BruhWhyDidIUpgrade

Unhappy Infinite password login after Ventura 13.3 upgrade

EDIT: CONFIRMED FIX thanks to Damien83 right here:

https://displaylink.org/forum/showpo...6&postcount=12

Last night immediately after upgrading to Ventura 13.3, when I type in my user login / password, the screens go black for a few seconds and I'm dumped right back into the password prompt, but with the field password blank. This repeats forever, no matter how many times you type in the password. Disconnecting from my DisplayLink dock allows the password to go thru immediately.

I'm using the Plugable UD-3900PDZ.

Someone in support said to check the USB hardware in MacOS, but the problem is I get a password login field the second I plug in my dock, which leads me to believe this is the result of tightened security in Ventura 13.3.

When I disconnect the dock and get in, I get a bug report field for Apple that says the "WindowServer" failed.

Any ideas, please let me know!

Last edited by BruhWhyDidIUpgrade; 04-04-2023 at 10:30 PM. Reason: Confirmed fix
BruhWhyDidIUpgrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 10:55 PM   #2
pwrhouse22

Default same issue for me

Infinite loop of logins every time the displaylink software is running. Also getting the same WindowsServer error.
pwrhouse22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 04:55 AM   #3
stardust

I have the same issue. WindowServer process crashes when I try plug in the second display (or whenever DisplayLink Manager kicks in). Below are the info from the Problem Report:

Crashed Thread: 0 ws_main_thread Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type: EXC_CRASH (SIGABRT)

I uninstalled, rebooted, and reinstalled DisplayLink but to no avail. Before reinstallation, system crashed only when I plugged in the second monitor, but now it crashes every time I run DisplayLink Manager.

My DisplayLink Manager is also the latest version, 1.8.1 (Build 63.180).

Let me know if you find out any solutions!
stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 04:54 PM   #4
stardust

An update to my previous post:

I was able to resolve. Here are the steps that I followed, hope it helps:

- Disconnect your DisplayLink usb device (hub) from the Mac
- Uninstall DisplayLink using the uninstaller. (macOS App LoginExtension-EXE.dmg)
- In system Settings/Displays, turn off True Tone, turn off automatic brightness adjustment.
- From App Store, search for MacOS Ventura, and reinstall system.
- After installation is complete, reinstall DisplayLink Manager. (DisplayLink Manager Graphics Connectivity1.8.1-EXE.pkg)
- Reinstall "Login Screen Extension" using macOS App LoginExtension-EXE.dmg
- Reconnect your DisplayLink device/hub. It will prompt the login screen again.

These steps worked for me. Perhaps omitting one of them might still have worked, but I am not sure and do not dare try again. Hope it works for you too. Good luck!

Last edited by stardust; 03-29-2023 at 05:03 PM.
Old 03-29-2023, 07:31 PM   #5
BruhWhyDidIUpgrade

Quote:

- Uninstall DisplayLink using the uninstaller. (macOS App LoginExtension-EXE.dmg)
- In system Settings/Displays, turn off True Tone, turn off automatic brightness adjustment.
- After installation is complete, reinstall DisplayLink Manager. (DisplayLink Manager Graphics Connectivity1.8.1-EXE.pkg)

These steps worked for me. Perhaps omitting one of them might still have worked, but I am not sure and do not dare try again. Hope it works for you too. Good luck!
Thank you for the reply! I tried these steps exactly as stated and I'm still having the same issue. I hope it works for someone else, though!

Last edited by BruhWhyDidIUpgrade; 03-29-2023 at 07:32 PM. Reason: quoted person replying to
Old 03-30-2023, 02:28 PM   #6
MrJB73

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardust View Post
An update to my previous post:

This did not work for me either. This is a driver issue which needs updating thanks to Apple causing an issue!!
MrJB73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 03:51 PM   #7
BruhWhyDidIUpgrade

Post A "fix" that is annoying but works

Well, I found a “fix” but it’s extremely annoying and was the last thing I wanted to do, but I can’t wait forever for an official fix:

Apple allows a Time Machine system backup of Ventura 13.3 to be applied to Ventura 13.2.

So I backed up my entire Ventura 13.3 system to a Time Machine (An AirPort Extreme on my wireless network), then erased my MacOS hard drive completely and re-installed 13.2 from a bootable USB.

Then on migration assistant, I selected the Time Machine backup. Got a warning about loading 13.3 content onto 13.2. Skipped the warning and proceeded anyway.

Not sure if these following steps were necessary, but just for good measure I uninstalled the previous version of DisplayLink and installed 1.8.1. Then I clicked the link in the software from the menu bar to install the “login screen extension status”.

Dock now works flawlessly again.

If anyone needs any help with these steps, let me know.
Old 03-30-2023, 03:56 PM   #8
MrJB73

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruhWhyDidIUpgrade View Post
Well, I found a “fix” but it’s extremely annoying and was the last thing I wanted to do, but I can’t wait forever for an official fix:

Apple allows a Time Machine system backup of Ventura 13.3 to be applied to Ventura 13.2.

So I backed up my entire Ventura 13.3 system to a Time Machine (An AirPort Extreme on my wireless network), then erased my MacOS hard drive completely and re-installed 13.2 from a bootable USB.

Then on migration assistant, I selected the Time Machine backup. Got a warning about loading 13.3 content onto 13.2. Skipped the warning and proceeded anyway.

Not sure if these following steps were necessary, but just for good measure I uninstalled the previous version of DisplayLink and installed 1.8.1. Then I clicked the link in the software from the menu bar to install the “login screen extension status”.

Dock now works flawlessly again.

If anyone needs any help with these steps, let me know.
I tried this the morning, but I can't "downgrade" 13.3 to 13.2 - don't have a Time Machine backup either!
MrJB73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 04:11 PM   #9
BruhWhyDidIUpgrade

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJB73 View Post
I tried this the morning, but I can't "downgrade" 13.3 to 13.2 - don't have a Time Machine backup either!
This is not the simplest process in the world, but it will work.

You need an external drive to make a Time Capsule backup from 13.3.

Then you have to download Ventura 13.2 at the link on this website:

https://osxdaily.com/2023/01/23/maco...e-to-download/

It's the link that says "InstallAssistant.pkg for macOS Ventura 13.2". It comes directly from apple.

THEN you have to make a bootable drive from that (on a USB stick or hard drive).

You are going to essentially wipe the system, re-install 13.2 from the bootable USB / hard drive, then restore from your Time Machine backup.
Old 03-30-2023, 05:50 PM   #10
stardust

I'd hate to see that one needs to wipe out the system just to make DisplayLink work.

I remembered an additional thing I did the night before based on a reddit discussion (https://www.reddit.com/r/MacOSBeta/c...eaks_external/)

So, before wiping out your system, you might try doing this, and then repeat the steps I listed earlier.

Open Terminal, and delete the below file with the "rm" command:
~/Library/Preferences/ByHost/com.apple.windowserver.displays.<LONG HEX STRING>.plist

Then repeat the steps I suggested earlier? Not sure if it will work, but perhaps For what it is worth.

Revised steps are:

- Open Terminal, delete the file ~/Library/Preferences/ByHost/com.apple.windowserver.displays.<LONG HEX STRING>.plist

Last edited by stardust; 03-30-2023 at 05:55 PM.

Tags
login, macos ventura, password, password prompt, ventura 13.3