Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software

Old 08-23-2019, 10:17 PM   #1
tommiy

Default Display Link 5.2 incompatibility with Thunderbolt Monitors

Long story short. I have a 2017 4 USB-C port MAC and also have an elgato dock that I use to drive a Apple Thunderbolt display and a4k LG monitor. A few weeks ago I updated to the 5.2 driver. After some time i noticed that the Thunderbolt monitor would not turn on infrequently. The long the time since the last reboot the more often the monitor would not display. Initially I thought that this was due to the dock dying however if I plugged the monitor directly into the adjacent USB-C port the monitor would still not start. If I used the other bridge (other side of the MAC) the monitor would start up. It took me a while but if I roll back to the 5.1 driver series everything works fine. Roll forward to 5.2 and the thunderbolt and occasionally the 4k monitor will not show anything. I'd say they are black but i think they have no signal.

When the dock and thunderbolt are plugged into the same bridge on the MAC the MAC states that the monitors are connected...but nothing on the screen.

It appears that the 5.2 driver has some bugs and killing off the external monitors even though none of these are even connected to a DisplayLink dock!!

Seems 5.1 is the safest bet and works far better than 5.2 if you have external non-Displaylink monitors you are trying to use.
tommiy is offline   Reply With Quote