Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-30-2023, 03:07 AM   #1
vjaneczko

Default Dell D3100 - Flickering Monitor & Hung Mouse

Dell Latitude Laptop running Win11, fully updated w/ Dell & DisplayLink updates (as of Dec. 28th, 2023), with a new D3100. Installed drivers before connecting D3100 to laptop, as per the instructions. Attached a 2nd monitor to the D3100. A wireless mouse was connected directly to a laptop USB port (which has been in use for over a year without issue).

When viewing apps & moving the mouse on the 2nd monitor, the screen would go black for a second, then flash back on. The mouse would not respond during this time. The screen would go blank again within a second, and this scenario would happen four times in a row. This "four count" would happen every few seconds, but not on a regular basis. Moving the mouse or typing would not seem to cause this problem to occur.

Setting the desktop between Mirror or Expand, the problem still occurs.
Moving the app to the primary monitor of the laptop, there isn't a problem.
Moving the second monitor to the HDMI port of the laptop, there isn't a problem.
Moving the mouse to the D3100, the problem still occurs.

So; DisplayLink is causing a flicker on the external monitor, as well as freezing the USB mouse connected directly to the laptop - which in itself is odd.

One thing that "bothers" me is that the laptop only has 8 GB RAM, and it's fairly maxed out (I like a lot of elbow room, RAM-wise). Not enough to cause frustration using the system, though, so I dunno if that's causing an issue.
vjaneczko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 11:06 AM   #2
rboerner
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjaneczko View Post
Dell Latitude Laptop running Win11, fully updated w/ Dell & DisplayLink updates (as of Dec. 28th, 2023), with a new D3100. Installed drivers before connecting D3100 to laptop, as per the instructions. Attached a 2nd monitor to the D3100. A wireless mouse was connected directly to a laptop USB port (which has been in use for over a year without issue).

When viewing apps & moving the mouse on the 2nd monitor, the screen would go black for a second, then flash back on. The mouse would not respond during this time. The screen would go blank again within a second, and this scenario would happen four times in a row. This "four count" would happen every few seconds, but not on a regular basis. Moving the mouse or typing would not seem to cause this problem to occur.

Setting the desktop between Mirror or Expand, the problem still occurs.
Moving the app to the primary monitor of the laptop, there isn't a problem.
Moving the second monitor to the HDMI port of the laptop, there isn't a problem.
Moving the mouse to the D3100, the problem still occurs.

So; DisplayLink is causing a flicker on the external monitor, as well as freezing the USB mouse connected directly to the laptop - which in itself is odd.

One thing that "bothers" me is that the laptop only has 8 GB RAM, and it's fairly maxed out (I like a lot of elbow room, RAM-wise). Not enough to cause frustration using the system, though, so I dunno if that's causing an issue.
If Dell has not been able to provide support for their product, and if you have not already done so, I would suggest reporting the issue to DisplayLink directly by following the process outlined here --> https://support.displaylink.com/know...to-displaylink
rboerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 02:37 PM   #3
vjaneczko

Weirdest thing; the problem went away when, out of dumb luck, I plugged the D3100 into the USB port on the right side of the system instead of the left. They're both USB 3.0 ports, so there shouldn't be any difference between them.
vjaneczko is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
d3100, dell, hdmi, mouse