Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > Alpha, Beta Software Testing Programs > Closed Alpha and Beta Programs > CLOSED: Mac 1.6 Release
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2010, 11:03 AM   #21
option4

Default How can I unistall this driver on OSX?

I am having similar problem on my new core i7 MPB. Only way to access the computer is by safe mode.

How can I unistall this driver?
Old 06-17-2010, 08:58 AM   #22
Carlo
Mac Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by option4 View Post
I am having similar problem on my new core i7 MPB. Only way to access the computer is by safe mode.

How can I unistall this driver?
In the Applications folder you should be able to see a DisplayLink folder with our uninstaller.
Old 06-19-2010, 01:33 AM   #23
doctorkrit

Default I think I found the cause & the solution

I have Macbook Pro 15" i7 and had the same problem, which I figured out that it was because of the system's confusion about primary monitor. As this problem does not happen to my Mac Mini at all, I hypothesized that it is because the Macbook's own monitor was failed to be recognized.

In my case, I installed the DisplayLink (DL) driver when my Macbook Pro was connected to Apple Cinema Display 24" (ACD) in close-lid mode. The system then remembered the ACD as primary monitor and the USB monitor as secondary. When I disconnected my Macbook Pro from the ACD, the system therefore could not find that primary monitor anymore.

After many trials and errors, here are the long steps I did successfully:
- Shut down the Macbook. If you can't see anything on the screen, just press & hold the power button for 10 seconds
- Connect the Macbook to non-USB external monitor (VGA, DVI, Mini Displayport, etc.)
- Turn on your Macbook. You should be able to see both external and Macbook monitors.
- Go to System Preferences > Displays to make sure that your Macbook's screen is the primary monitor (with menu bar and dock) and the external one is secondary monitor
- Unplug the external monitor. The Macbook's screen should blink once and become the one and only monitor
- Uninstall the DL driver. The Macbook will then restart. You should be able to see your Macbook screen afterward
- Try connect with non-USB external monitor again to make sure that your Macbook's screen is still primary monitor. If not, go to System Preferences > Displays to make it primary.
- Install DL driver. The Macbook will then restart.
- Connect the USB monitor and make sure that your Macbook's screen is still primary monitor. If not, go to System Preferences > Displays to make it primary.
- Connect non-USB monitor. You will now have 3 monitors. Make sure that your Macbook's screen is still primary monitor. If not, go to System Preferences > Displays to make it primary.
- Disconnect both USB & non-USB monitors, your Macbook screen should be working fine.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:47 PM   #24
dlee96

I can confirm the procedure by doctorkrit to work. As the previous poster mentions, the problems appears to be related to the attribution of primary display status. I do still experience problems when an external display is set as the primary and I unplug the displaylink adapter.
Further reinforcing the theory of problems being associated with the primary display status, users of the latest gen machines and Air Display (iPad as external display) are experiencing similar issues. Many problems are addressed with proper attribution of a primary display.

My hope is that Apple fixes this in a software update.

-David
Old 07-16-2010, 04:39 PM   #25
perlguy9

Any word on an updated driver to support the new MacBook Pro's?
Old 07-20-2010, 10:12 PM   #26
aiyagari

See the "failing to wake from sleep..." thread that has a thumbs-up on it.

I posted a tentative workaround that seems to have worked for the last 2 days -- crossing my fingers that it is a permanent solution.
Old 08-17-2010, 01:28 AM   #27
pablo

I'm having the same issues with my 17" i7. This is a real problem, that has not only cost me a lot of time, but money as well. I could not figure out what was happening with my laptop, which had worked perfectly for the 2 months previous owned it. I had this adapter since day 1, which had worked perfectly as well. Then 2 weeks ago, it started to crash when it went to sleep and upon restart failed to display anything unless I had an external monitor plugged in. I took it to the apple store for the techs to look at it. They had thought it was a failed logic board and sent it out for repair. So I had to buy another computer to work off of while this was out for repair. Yeah, I can return it, but it is still costing me over $100 because of this driver. Plus all the time I wasted trying to figure this out and transfer all my data back and forth. When will a stable driver be available? You should pull your driver, because clearly it doesn't work and is causing way more harm then good. At the very least put up some of the problems associated with this release so users can recognize the issues and know how to address them.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:00 PM   #28
zoemacuser

Any chance this will solve our worries:

http://www.macrumors.com/2010/08/17/...aphics-update/

I'm installing now, but am hesitant to launch into reinstalling the DisplayLink drivers.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:21 PM   #29
dlee96

Seems to be working with the graphics update. Tried a few different combinations with no snow yet.

1. Macbook pro alone
2. Macbook pro with displaylink plugged in while booting
3. Macbook pro with nothing and then plugging in displaylink adapter after boot.

Still need to try after getting home:
a. Clamshell mode + External display
b. Clamshell mode + External Display + displaylink adapter (connected before and after booting)

-dlee

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoemacuser View Post
Any chance this will solve our worries:

http://www.macrumors.com/2010/08/17/...aphics-update/

I'm installing now, but am hesitant to launch into reinstalling the DisplayLink drivers.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:36 PM   #30
wmperry

Default No joy here...

MacBook Pro alone gets a blue screen with a mouse cursor, but never gets to the login screen. Plugging in an external monitor made no difference. Forced reboot after that led to the snowy screen.

Newest MBPro 15" i7 w/1680x1050 screen here.

-Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlee96 View Post
Seems to be working with the graphics update. Tried a few different combinations with no snow yet.

1. Macbook pro alone
2. Macbook pro with displaylink plugged in while booting
3. Macbook pro with nothing and then plugging in displaylink adapter after boot.

Still need to try after getting home:
a. Clamshell mode + External display
b. Clamshell mode + External Display + displaylink adapter (connected before and after booting)

-dlee