Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software

Old 06-18-2018, 07:40 AM   #361
MAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikoNorth View Post
Stop blaming Apple and put money into fixing your driver.
If you can't fix this, I want my money back.
Or maybe we should consider gathering all owners and build a lawsuit. This is a work tool and it has greatly hurt my productivity.
Niko
Perhaps, not the right answer. But, I was facing the same issue, just downgraded to Sierra and got all the three monitors working. I would suggest the same, till DisplayLink and Apple figure it out, not using the monitors are never the solution.
MAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 12:43 PM   #362
njoerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC View Post
Perhaps, not the right answer. But, I was facing the same issue, just downgraded to Sierra and got all the three monitors working. I would suggest the same, till DisplayLink and Apple figure it out, not using the monitors are never the solution.
Are you serious? If I get you right, this sounds like a bad joke to me: "Don't update if you want to keep your system usable" - Seems to be pretty bad choice for a dev who might be interested in testing his software against the current OS version - Not to speak of those who just want to keep systems up to date for security's sake.

This is a major problem and that hacky solution with Airplays ist just a bad joke - the product was sold as a Triple Display Docking Station to my company and was considered to be the best one-cable-solution since it had full Mac OS X compatibility - however, the product just got broken - it's insane to advice somebody to not update his OS just because of some faulty drivers - you had one job - and failed.

I'd consider filing a lawsuit as well - product stopped working, no solution -> useless product to me.
njoerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 11:02 AM   #363
MC Ren

Quote:
Originally Posted by njoerd View Post
Are you serious? If I get you right, this sounds like a bad joke to me: "Don't update if you want to keep your system usable" - Seems to be pretty bad choice for a dev who might be interested in testing his software against the current OS version - Not to speak of those who just want to keep systems up to date for security's sake.

This is a major problem and that hacky solution with Airplays ist just a bad joke - the product was sold as a Triple Display Docking Station to my company and was considered to be the best one-cable-solution since it had full Mac OS X compatibility - however, the product just got broken - it's insane to advice somebody to not update his OS just because of some faulty drivers - you had one job - and failed.

I'd consider filing a lawsuit as well - product stopped working, no solution -> useless product to me.
You are 100% correct, this is an absolute joke!

FIX THE ISSUE ALREADY! You've had months now, maybe you should find some new developers if the ones you currently have are incapable.
MC Ren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 11:45 AM   #364
donluca

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbanRampon View Post
You are correct, we never considered AirPlay as a permanent solution because of its limitations. We even hesitated enabling this, but we believe having something temporary with limitations is better than nothing at all.
The very first developer preview of Mojave does not bring any change in this area.

Kind regards,
Alban
I see, thanks for the replies.

Can you provide a "safe" way to roll back to High Sierra 10.13.3?
I don't have a Time Machine backup and, honestly, I don't want to re-install everything from scratch.

I've read something about downloading the 10.3.3 combo update and installing that, can anyone elaborate on this?
donluca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 05:02 PM   #365
wild4gadgets

Default Ridiculous waste of money

+1 to everyone that has previously posted to this forum about the High Sierra issue. Downgrading to Sierra is not an option for me as my company will not allow us to use anything other than High Sierra due to security reasons. So the $200 I spent on my Targus dock has resulted in pretty much zero value to me. And Targus refuses to give me a refund since it was purchased via a dealer and not direct.

So...I have a very nice, completely useless $200 brick sitting on my desk. And to make things worse, I had to spend another $100 on dongles in order to use my displays. Which was exactly why I purchased the dock in the first place.

Get this issue fixed ASAP please....this is completely ridiculous.
wild4gadgets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 04:19 PM   #366
MAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by donluca View Post
I see, thanks for the replies.

Can you provide a "safe" way to roll back to High Sierra 10.13.3?
I don't have a Time Machine backup and, honestly, I don't want to re-install everything from scratch.

I've read something about downloading the 10.3.3 combo update and installing that, can anyone elaborate on this?
Combo updates don't work I have tried. The only downloadable install I could find was Sierra, so I reverted to that. I am still exploring on how to install 10.13.3 over it; will drop in a message if I figure it out. The issue is that when-ever you try to upgrade to High Sierra, it downloads and install 10.13.5, which clearly defeats the purpose.

Now that, Mojave Beta 2 is released perhaps it's fixed or maybe not; I am hoping someone who has Mojave Beta can drop a line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild4gadgets View Post
+1 to everyone that has previously posted to this forum about the High Sierra issue. Downgrading to Sierra is not an option for me as my company will not allow us to use anything other than High Sierra due to security reasons.
Get this issue fixed ASAP please....this is completely ridiculous.
Hmm. I am still look at possible solutions to just upgrade back to 10.13.3 and we can perhaps keep it that for the time being at-the-least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Ren View Post
You are 100% correct, this is an absolute joke!

FIX THE ISSUE ALREADY! You've had months now, maybe you should find some new developers if the ones you currently have are incapable.
+1 for that. What surprises me is why Display Link and the developers don't have an exact time line or perhaps something that says 'Okay. The fix is in Mojave'. But, all we are hearing is vague stuff.

Display Link developers, please update us!
MAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 06:10 PM   #367
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Update: June 20th
Dear DisplayLink macOS users,

Installing macOS 10.13.4, or newer, will cause DisplayLink connected displays to go blank after the OS update when using DisplayLink driver v4.1. Extended displays continue to work as expected in macOS 10.13.3 and below.
Functionality such as Ethernet and audio, where implemented, is unaffected.

DisplayLink driver v4.3 beta 5 currently provides an interim solution with one extended USB display (720p or 1080p) on macOS 10.13.4, 10.13.5 and the first two 10.14 developer previews, using Apple AirPlay® on machines with that feature. All additional DisplayLink screens will be cloning the primary display.
An FAQ details how to enable Apple AirPlay with DisplayLink display for extend or mirror mode.

Our team have made further progress towards finding a solution which would restore full extended display support for multiple DisplayLink displays in a future release of macOS. As daily users of the technology ourselves, we truly understand how disruptive this loss of functionality affecting the ecosystem can be.
We have had positive developments on being able to communicate a roll out plan for this long term fix, but for the time being remain unable to provide a time-frame or a date for release of this solution.
Resolving this issue remains the highest priority for us and we will continue to provide regular updates as we move towards this.

Thank you for your extended patience. We appreciate your feedback and support.

Kind regards,
Alban

Where to download the latest DisplayLink drivers
How to clean up a corrupted installation
How to report issues to DisplayLink for a speedy resolution
AlbanRampon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 07:46 PM   #368
paultzirides

Eeeeasy folks, threatening people isn't going to get the issue solved any faster.

The DisplayLink team, as well as every developer on the planet, cannot control how Apple changes their operating system. If the DL team built their software and drivers using some components of the OS that Apple removed or changed, it may be difficult or impossible to update the DL software and drivers as-is. The next version of the OS is still in beta, which means that there are a great deal of things that are still changing, and any updates the team makes now are an attempt to hit a moving target. They may get the BETA drivers working on a BETA OS, but the next version of the beta may break things again, so giving a hard release date might be impossible with the software in its current state, and the DL team may need to wait until certain parts of the OS are more stable before they can start building new drivers.

Quite often, Apple makes changes that affect developers and software functionality. A point release may suddenly affect a piece of software you use without warning, because Apple made a change the developer did not anticipate. The DL team may need to rewrite the drivers completely from the ground up, or they may be in a holding pattern until things stabilize.

Either way, yelling louder will not fix this problem faster. I think it sucks, too, and I'm upset that I have a product that doesn't do all the things I want it to, but the DL team has a great track record of making progress, even when facing really difficult challenges. Give them a little bit, I'm sure they'll be able to get this one fixed, too.
paultzirides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 07:10 AM   #369
Poly

Exclamation Support for High Sierra 10.13.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbanRampon View Post
Our team have made further progress towards finding a solution which would restore full extended display support for multiple DisplayLink displays in a future release of macOS.
You say "in a future release of macOS". I am very concerned that the full fix might only work with macOS Mojave. I'd like to point out that – as usual – not all 3rd party applications will be fully macOS Mojave compatible at its release. It is healthy to postpone a major OS update and check application compatibility for a private user, but it is always the case in enterprise environments. Mojave is a very special case! It will phase-out 32 bit support. A lot of users/businesses won't be updating immediately to Mojave because many (business critical) applications are still not 64 bit ready.

It would be highly inconvenient if the fix worked only with macOS Mojave! Please provide a full fix – not a workaround – for the latest HighSierra as well.
Old 06-21-2018, 09:31 AM   #370
Wozzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by paultzirides View Post
Eeeeasy folks, threatening people isn't going to get the issue solved any faster.

The DisplayLink team, as well as every developer on the planet, cannot control how Apple changes their operating system. If the DL team built their software and drivers using some components of the OS that Apple removed or changed, it may be difficult or impossible to update the DL software and drivers as-is. The next version of the OS is still in beta, which means that there are a great deal of things that are still changing, and any updates the team makes now are an attempt to hit a moving target. They may get the BETA drivers working on a BETA OS, but the next version of the beta may break things again, so giving a hard release date might be impossible with the software in its current state, and the DL team may need to wait until certain parts of the OS are more stable before they can start building new drivers.

Quite often, Apple makes changes that affect developers and software functionality. A point release may suddenly affect a piece of software you use without warning, because Apple made a change the developer did not anticipate. The DL team may need to rewrite the drivers completely from the ground up, or they may be in a holding pattern until things stabilize.

Either way, yelling louder will not fix this problem faster. I think it sucks, too, and I'm upset that I have a product that doesn't do all the things I want it to, but the DL team has a great track record of making progress, even when facing really difficult challenges. Give them a little bit, I'm sure they'll be able to get this one fixed, too.
DL wre informed of this change well in advance by Apple, possibly upto 12 months but still failed to fix. So I think they have had long enough. This isn't just the odd user complaint here larger corps like IBM use Mac's and DisplayLink, think how much it is can be effecting productivity, think how much money has been spent on DL devices that are currently next to useless.

Again we see the post about 4.3 beta 5, so ok progress but its BETA. Places like IBM can't allow beta software to be used on mass, it need to be final before allowing staff to install.
Wozzy is offline   Reply With Quote