Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software

Old 11-14-2012, 10:22 PM   #1
chandler767

Cool DiplayLink Mountain Lion Fix

Hey guys,
I FINALLY found a way to fix the issue with the display link monitors! Full use and all with ML and the 1.8 mac driver. It requires you to use a script that I have uploaded here:
http://www.c-bit.co/resources/DisplayLink.scpt
To set it up watch this video:
http://youtu.be/XJLN3LSYtMQ

**IMPORTANT Notes:**
-Always unplug your DisplayLink monitor before turning on your computer or the bug will still occur. Only plug in after you login!
-The script may still require a password after login for some people. Type it in and hit ok.
-Sorry if the video is a tad blurry.

I hope your as happy as I am that there is now a fix. Please download my apps to show your appreciation and look for my new app "Atom Ball" coming the the app store late December. https://itunes.apple.com/us/artist/c...yo/id425152986

EDIT:
DisplayLink Notifier:
DisplayLink Notifier will alert you to when it is safe to plug-in and un-plug your DisplayLink devices. Use this with the DisplayLink 1.8 driver script to make using your devices easier.

To install:
Download the app from: http://www.c-bit.co/resources/DisplayLink_Notifier.zip
Extract the file and move it to your applications folder or to your documents folder.
Open "System Preferences."
Open "Users & Groups."
Select your account (Go back and do this with all accounts.)
Select "Login Items."
Click the "+" button.
Locate and select the "DisplayLink Notifier.app" and click "Add."
Restart your computer.

EDIT 2:
If the patch stops working do the following:
1. Turn off your computer and unplug your display devices
2. Turn on your computer and log in, don't plug in your devices
3. Turn off again
4. Turn on again, keep repeating until the login box starts showing. You may have to do this several times. Once everything is working and you log in you can plug in your devices and continue as normal.

Last edited by chandler767; 11-26-2012 at 02:55 AM. Reason: Second edit.
chandler767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:19 AM   #2
briangig

Pretty clean method.

Here are a few notes.

This is what I had to do to get this to work reliably. I can never see the login screen, ever, and guessing sucks.

1. Uninstall the drivers (and reboot).
2. Create a new standard user (DisplayLink in my case)
3. Make that user auto-login (the guest account cannot have login applications, or i couldn't figure it out). I used the same password as my account for simplicity.
3a. Reinstall the drivers (under your admin account) FOR ALL USERS.
4. Follow chandler767's directions for creating the application, make that launch when the new user auto-logs in. You will be prompted for admin credentials to run the app you created (because you are logged in as a standard user).
5. You may then either switch to your own user and plug in, or just plug in the monitor. It seems to work better (remember wallpapers, etc) when you switch users first). Edit: You definitely want to switch users and then plug in.

I suppose you could just auto login as your new account, and keep the script on your real account, but for some reason I don't think that worked for me..but that was before I discovered the info below. Edit: I can't get it to work if the script is on my real account, leave it on the one that auto-logs in.

Interesting thing I found: I cannot get this to work after a reboot. If I unplug the device before even clicking restart, or as soon as the screen goes black, I still get Finder crashing, monitor not even displaying anything. I have to unplug and do a complete shutdown, then power up. Edit: Even powering down completely isn't working 100% anymore..sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I have another monitor connected via mini-DP, and disconnecting and connecting that may have something to do with it (boot without it, reboot, then boot with it, etc)

Last edit for the night, my poor MBP has been through so many reboots and power cycles. If I unplug the USB adapter, then click restart, then as soon as both my internal and Mini-DP screens go blank and I hear the chime, I pull out the Mini-DP. I boot directly into my newly created account (called DisplayLink), enter my admin credentials, switch users to my main account, then plug in Mini-DP, then USB DisplayLink adapter, I get everything working dandy, no crashes, I can even open the Login Window! Did this three times and it seems to be working reliably. I think, perhaps, rebooting with the external monitor attached (mini-DP), but yanking it out before login might reset or clear something out, not sure. It seems to work, and thats all I want. I can deal with the extra steps for now.

Last edited by briangig; 11-15-2012 at 06:42 AM. Reason: more details
briangig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:30 PM   #3
chandler767

Question Fix

Heres a few tips:
1. The script is only good for one login. So if your using a account to run it, log out and log into another account the script will not stick around after restart nor will it keep working if you logout and log back in without running it.

2. I recommended putting the script in all of your accounts. That way it will work after reset and logins and logout.

3. To install it to your own account you need to run the script first (click it, and it will quickly do its job and close). Then add it to your login items, reboot your computer, and log into your account and everything should be working. If need be add it to login items, reset, login, reset, then login and plug in your display link monitors. This will force the script to run automatically once and set everything up for you. You only should do that the first time after you install the script.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:30 PM   #4
briangig

Thanks for the tips, I will play more later.

What's bizarre is after I was auto logged in, script loaded, finder would still crash under that user. I wasn't until I rebooted and unplugged my other monitor that I was able to get everything working. And I switched users, didn't log out of displaylink user.

Like I said, will play more later.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:25 PM   #5
chandler767

Post Sounds like...

It sounds like your not unplugging your monitor. Before loging out unplug the adapters. After you log in you can plug it in again. Otherwise it won't work.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:43 PM   #6
briangig

I was definitely unplugging the USB adapter before logging out. I think my other external monitor may be causing issues (using Mini-DP to DVI).
Old 11-15-2012, 04:03 PM   #7
chandler767

Wink

I use an external display using my Thunderbolt port with no problems. Maybe its something in your settings. At least (even though complex) you can use your DisplayLink which is more than we could have said yesterday. (: Let me know if you figure it out.
Old 11-15-2012, 04:08 PM   #8
briangig

I am definitely excited..the only issue seems to occur when I reboot, which I don't do very often. And even then the problem can be avoided if I unplug the other monitor at bootup.

BTW, saw you were using a Thunderbolt display (very jealous) ever see this: http://macwinguy.com/2012/04/getting...r-macbook-pro/ ?
Old 11-15-2012, 04:28 PM   #9
chandler767

Default Woops

Sorry, i'm using a normal display using my thunderbolt port. I wish I had a thunderbolt display.
Old 11-15-2012, 04:35 PM   #10
briangig

ah, well then I am in the same boat as you, I have a thunderbolt port, but i'm using the DisplayPort adapter on it. So it looks like we have the same setup after all.