Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software

Old 11-25-2012, 09:27 AM   #1
Butterbean

Default Hi Everyone... Some advice please

Ok I have just bought a Mac Mini and got rid of my iMac. I am using 2 AOC 22 inch HD monitors and this was fine with the imac. Using one VGA to MDP adapter and one Kensington Universal Display Link Adapter. This was all on Snow Leopard. The new mac Mini is 10.8 and uses USB 3 ports.

One of my displays is fine plugged into the thunderbolt port but the Monitor using the KDL is just black... When I go into display preferences it is showing 2 moniors and I can move them around but the second one just stays black! It is not the monitor as this is working fine if I plug it into a PC...

I am sure there are lots of posts that may help me so apologies for not reading through before but this is really annoying. Is this a software update thing, a ML thing? Is my DL adapter useless now?

Many thanks in advance.
Butterbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:24 AM   #2
Carlo
Mac Team

May be that the mini is not supplying enough power to lit the backlight. Have you tried to put a powered hub in between?

Carlo
Carlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:51 AM   #3
Butterbean

Thank you very much for your reply Carlo.

No I haven't maybe I will try it but surely that would be crazy? Why would it work fine on the iMac and the newer more powerful Mac not work?

Another thing, I have just read somewhere that Displaylink does not work with USB 3.0 ports is this correct?

Last edited by Butterbean; 11-26-2012 at 10:53 AM. Reason: Extra question
Old 11-26-2012, 05:57 PM   #4
Butterbean

Ok I have tried with a powered hub and no go... I have swapped the monitors around and they both work fine through the Thunderbolt port but whatever monitor goes through the Displaylink adapter just does not work....

Basically the power button on the monitor changes from orange to blue when it is in use and this indeed does happen, the screen changes from pitch black to a very dark grey so there is some life. The second monitor shows up in preferences but it is just not showing the extend desktop...

It is very annoying can anyone shed some light? Please?
Old 11-28-2012, 12:07 PM   #5
fhall1

Why are you using the Displaylink adapter anyway? Do your monitors have only VGA inputs or do they have DVI too? If they have DVI, you should use it instead. Use a TB/MDP to VGA (or DVI) for one monitor like you are now and get an HDMI to VGA (or DVI) adapter for the second monitor....let the Mini drive both from its own graphics subsystem....that's what I'm doing now.
My third (USB) MIMO monitor is currently sitting in a drawer until Displaylink figures this out.
fhall1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 03:20 PM   #6
Butterbean

Thank you for your reply...

The monitor has only VGA which is why I originally bought the Kensington displaylink usb adapter. So reading your post this is a Displaylink problem?
Old 11-28-2012, 05:52 PM   #7
fhall1

From other posts here it seems to be a Displaylink/Apple problem. You can get an HDMI to VGA adapter to run your second monitor (probably about $6 at monoprice.com) and take Displaylink right out of the picture.
fhall1 is offline   Reply With Quote