Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2014, 01:23 PM   #1
bawjkt

Smile Blackouts after 4-7 seconds of display UGA

Hi -

Have been impressed with this product (plugable UGA-2K-A) since its purchase in 2011.

Hooked it up again today (years later) and was quite pleased that it fired right up.

It worked well and nonstop for hours, then I put my laptop to sleep. When I came back, and woke up the machine, the UG-connected display woke up, then blacked out after about 5 seconds.

Now it only displays for about 4-7 seconds after a boot, change of display settings, UGA hardware plugin etc.

* I downloaded fresh plugable software today prior to install

* I updated my Intel display drivers (only behind about a month) with Win7Vista64 151719 drivers; they reported installed (although driver date in DevMan did not change)

* Implemented all USB power-shutoff recommendations at http://www.fixedbyvonnie.com/2013/11.../#.VGDFRvmUfjH

rebooted with new settings, new drivers - still, the UGA connected display pops up nicely, says hello, then blacks out within 4-7 seconds.

As mentioned earlier, I ran the plugable diag tool and got a warning that intel display drivers were slightly out of date, so updated them.

No other warnings, all passes from the tool.

ran the diag tool again just now so as to provide latest snapshot, results attached.

other info:
Acer 1825PTZ
Windows Ultimate Win 7
Windows update turned off
Connected directly to USB
sometimes get messages that 'this USB device can run faster if connected to a highspeed port'
DevMan shows about 6 USB hubs, including virtuals

As soon as I adjust display setting reboot, or whatever, I get a good 4-7 second glimpse, but the monitor shuts off after that. This UGA was driving this monitor for years without event. But now I am using a different laptop and getting this issue.
Attached Files
File Type: zip 1825A_20141110_221211.zip (515.5 KB, 1 views)
bawjkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 02:02 PM   #2
Wim

When it goes blank, does Windows still think the display is there? Or does it drop off the USB bus? It sounds like the hardware could be "on the edge" and the monitor loses sync with the video signal from the adapter after a few seconds.

Wim
Wim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 02:23 PM   #3
bawjkt

Default Machine thinks it's there

"When it goes blank, does Windows still think the display is there? Or does it drop off the USB bus? It sounds like the hardware could be "on the edge" and the monitor loses sync with the video signal from the adapter after a few seconds."

That info may well be in the zip I sent.

device still reports on USB bus; never seen it missing.

about to install on a clone of that laptop, another 1825 PTZ which also got a new SSD and an OS install...should be same result...we'll see. Device shows up in DevMan and notes there are no drivers yet installed. Device hasn't ever hid from machine.

May be able to dig up another identical Plugable at this house in Bali; they were good enough I got 'em for family who ended up replacing the machine so I took it back.

Any conclusions from the diag info I sent?

Worked fine for hours after initial hookup; started to black out after a Sleep.
Old 11-10-2014, 02:26 PM   #4
Wim

I looked at the logs and the software seems to think the device was working fine when the logs were taken. That's why I wanted to check if the device does disconnect, as the logs could have been taken while the adapter was working correctly.

Wim
Wim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 02:32 PM   #5
bawjkt

Default logs taken only after problem arose

...and that probably makes sense.

so that's all good news about the adapter.

let me test a straight VGA connection to the monitor and see if it naps as well.

you guys are knocking the brand loyalty thing out of the park with this rapid feedback - thanks.

let me test the monitor for openers and also try to dig up the other Plugable I think I have here and test it. More from SE Asia shortly.
Old 11-10-2014, 02:48 PM   #6
bawjkt

Default new install on identical machine

same symptom; it pops up for a second, then checks out.

three displaylink services running

turning display on and off thru resolutions generates another brief visit

still looking for extra Plugable hardware device here.

I actually only need one to run...digging here
Old 11-10-2014, 02:56 PM   #7
bawjkt

Default Did find an identical Plugable DisplayLink device...

and symptoms are the same, probably indicating the original hardware device is fine...

may have to try this with another display also available here....

any more thoughts on software solution? Unusual that I have another identical device, that behaves in the same way...makes me think it's not Plugable hardware problem.

on to test with another external monitor...

...developing story
Old 11-10-2014, 03:22 PM   #8
bawjkt

Default Looks like original monitor DVI port is the issue

Connected to a much larger Samsung LED TV.

Both Plugables perform without issues. Come up and stay up.

Also using clone laptop as I mentioned ... original laptop probably performs as well. Thinking this is an interface problem from a 2007 Viewsonic.

We removed the DVI interface from that one monitor from the picture and replaced it with another device (a Samsung 32" via HDMI) and the Plugables (both of them) run flawlessly.

There's no software problem. There's no hardware problem from laptop out thru Plugable to device. Probably Viewsonic DVI port has had it. Will test later to confirm.

Basking in the glow of the Samsung 32" which fits on my main desk, I'm thinking I may keep it that way. Rock solid and looks great albeit 720P.

So now I'm thinking Plugable #2 now drives 2007 22" Viewsonic via VGA and see how that goes. Because I want it back and I think I can get it, via VGA.

I have two of these display adapters as it is. From 2011. Just use *both*.

Hop all of your tickets go as well as this one did. There's nothing wrong with my USB display adapters. The monster Samsung looks gorgeous and rock-solid. With both (relatively ancient) USB display adapters here - they are fine. There are no findings here saying they are failing. Both work.

I'll drill down on the Viewsonic DVI port later - or maybe right now actually...like the panorama.
Old 11-10-2014, 04:21 PM   #9
bawjkt

Default In the end...this is what works...

Old Viewsonic does not connect via HDMI via DVI to Plugable.

Also does not connect via VGA direct to Plugable.

However, old Viewsonic *does* connect to laptop via HDMI-out from laptop connected to DVI-HDMI converter cable direct to DVI port on Viewsonic.

But old Viewsonic is still in the game as direct from laptop HDMI-out to DVI-in does work.

Laptop straight to Viewsonic via VGA also does not work.

But laptop out HDMI to DVI-in on Viewsonic 22" VGA works.
And, Viewsonic 28" direct from laptop via VGA to monitor also works concurrently.

So with

HDMI-out from laptop serving a converter cable direct to DVI on 22" 1680x1050 Viewsonic,

and VGA-out on laptop serving Viewsonic 28" 1920x1200,

plus one Plugable serving the 32" Samsung at 720P I get...

three large displays out of a 2010 SU2100 laptop weaker than some Atoms today.

Did I try to enable the laptop display also? Of course. No go.

these are just one man's findings.