Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > Alpha, Beta Software Testing Programs > Closed Alpha and Beta Programs > CLOSED: Mac OSX 1.7 Release
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2011, 02:02 PM   #1
kroser

Default 1.7b4 - what remains to be fixed

Since the beta 4 release notes didn't specifically mention some fixes, I suspect the problems detailed in a previous posting, repeated here, still exist:

Quote:
The DisplayLink software runs well on Lion, but there is a problem on some Mac platforms. The built-in video driver on certain 2008 and 2009 Macs is incompatible with third-party video drivers. DisplayLink cannot fix this issue, as it is a bug introduced by Apple in Lion. Apple are aware of the problem and we hope they release a fix soon.

We need the community's help to put pressure on Apple to fix these issues and for them to know what pain it is causing their users. The issues are tracked with Apple with bug #9730040.

Symptoms caused by this issue are:

The login screen may not be shown
When dragging a window, you are unable to drop it
Rendering issues on Safari, Quicktime, VLC and possibly other apps
Is it reasonable to expect that the 1.7b4 drivers along with MAC OS X 10.7.2 (when it's released) will fix these problems?
Old 09-10-2011, 03:57 PM   #2
Carlo
Mac Team

Hi Kroser,
Once Apple will fix the issues you mentioned any beta version of 1.7 from b2 should show the improvements.
If by any chance Apple will decide to fix ALL regressions in Lion then even 1.7b1 will work correctly.

The latest 10.7.2 developer preview did indeed seem to fix at least two big problems and I'd take that as a sign of responsiveness from Apple.
Let's see what will be in the final 10.7.2: the feedback from this forum will be essential to see which issues will remain.
Old 09-10-2011, 11:20 PM   #3
kroser

In the current 10.7.2, is the mouse drop problem fixed? What about the need to set the video on high performance?

I'm still on Snow Leopard, just waiting.
Old 09-11-2011, 06:31 AM   #4
Carlo
Mac Team

Last time we tried the login and application issues were fixed but the sticky mouse was still there. However a sleep-resume cycle works around it until the next reboot.
Anything might change in the final 10.7.2 of course.
Old 09-11-2011, 06:25 PM   #5
rralian

Default 1920x1200 support

Hello.

I see that beta 4 has support for 1920x1200 resolution "on specific DisplayLink products".

I have a hanns.g HZ281H 24" monitor and am running OSX 10.7.1 on the newest macbook air 1.8ghz intel core i7. I have installed the displaylink driver for the mac version 1.7b4. When I plug the monitor into the mini-displayport->dvi adaptor, the monitor runs at 1920x1200 resolution. But when I plug the monitor into the diamond multimedia USB adaptor (BVUMD3) that I just purchased, the top resolutions I get are 1920x1028, 1600x1200, and 1440x900.

Is this still expected behavior, or is this a bug I should report? And if this is expected, can I assume you are still working on supporting 1920x1200 for other monitors in a future release? Also, I notice that running the monitor through the USB adaptor for a few minutes kicks in the fan. Is that expected behavior, or is that something that could be addressed in a future release?

Thanks for your work and attention. I've used similar products before that use your driver that worked great, so I'm a big fan. :-)

Bob
Old 09-12-2011, 10:36 AM   #6
Carlo
Mac Team

Thank you Bob, we are a bunch of passionate people in this company and a few positive feedback from time to time makes it worthy!

Before 1.7b4 the Mac driver was incorrectly limiting the resolution on a particular chip variant. The maximum resolution still depends on the chip used in the device.

Googling around the advertised max resolution for the BVUMD3 is 1920x1080 so it should be a DL-165 chip that on both Mac and Windows should not be able to show 1920x1200.
For a 1920x1200 resolution you need a device that actually supports it.

The easiest way to find one is going to the DL shop and look for devices that advertise a maximum resolution of 2048x1152 or 1920x1200, these have a DL-195. The link is http://www.displaylink.com/shop/index.php
Old 09-12-2011, 02:24 PM   #7
rralian

Default woops and thanks

Hey, thanks for the quick reply. It never occurred to me that the device itself might not support the maximum resolution. I've used Diamond USB adaptors before (BVU195, I think) without a problem and thought this was a newer one than I had used. I guess I should have done a little more checking before buying it. I'll be returning it and getting the BVU195 instead. Thank you for your help.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:41 PM   #8
yitzhakbg

Default Macbook came back to life

Just installed 1.7b4 and guess what?
I discovered that until now, I'd been driving without releasing the handbrakes.
Well 1.7b4 released them and the MB behaves like it's 20 years younger.
Thanks
Old 09-15-2011, 05:43 AM   #9
philip

Default Wooohooo!!!

Keep up the good work DisplayLink Team!

Just installed beta 4 and off the bat, the icons still stick when click and dragging items, sleep takes care of that (and since I almost never shut my computer off it works for now).

The cursor ghosting on the usb connected screen seems to have been fixed with this update. (sweet) Edit, spoke too soon, however it seems harder to replicate. still happens.... :-( wuhwuuhh, But I still am excited that you are making more beta versions and hope to help in any way. can you link me to where you talk about sending feedback to apple? I would like to do so. what specifically is the conflict (so I am able to write about it)?

PS cs5.1 opens fine.(this was fixed in b3)

videos play pretty smoothly in usb window (in a small window not fullscreen) which seems like an improvement from chop city from the last build. (new to b4?)

Over all I don't know what the openGL settings were that you changed but things seem smooth now on third screen.

Now to address that darn icon sticking issue... :-)

Keep it up, Beta 4 is an obvious improvement. I'm going to leave this on for a while and see if anything weird happens, but so far, smooth sailing.

Last edited by philip; 09-15-2011 at 06:00 AM.
Old 09-15-2011, 08:55 AM   #10
msaspence

"graphics performance drop after system sleep" is still an issue
http://www.displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1031