Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software

Old 09-24-2018, 07:58 PM   #551
strim

Default DisplayLink 5.0 works with Mojave 10.14

Good day,

Confirming that Mac OS 10.14, Mojave works fine with recently released DisplayLink 5.0 driver. My monitors are back without AirPlay crutch.
strim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 09:23 PM   #552
bmas26

Default Mojave not working

I get black screens with a cursor that does nothing.

MacBook Pro (2018) 13", 4 Tbolt ports
2x Dell P2217H 1080p
Dell D6000 dock

DisplayLink 5.0 drivers. Right after upgrading, while still on 4.3 beta, it was working with the airplay workaround. Now I don't even have that option and can't downgrade.

This is really frustrating. I'm going to recommend my company stay away from DisplayLink enabled products moving forward.
bmas26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 09:31 PM   #553
heycoop

Default Mojave Driver FAIL on 2018 MBP

Quote:
Originally Posted by strim View Post
Good day,

Confirming that Mac OS 10.14, Mojave works fine with recently released DisplayLink 5.0 driver. My monitors are back without AirPlay crutch.
Hi Strim...what kind of hardware are you running? I can confirm that the Mojave driver does NOT work fine on a new 13" MacBook Pro (w/four Thunderbolt ports). As others on the Internet have noted, the DisplayLink folks have explicitly (and inexplicably) mentioned this in their release notes...

"DisplayLink screens are black with only mouse cursor visible on MacBook Pro 2018 with initial macOS 10.14.0. (28503)"

I'd like to believe that the DisplayLink user community has been more than patient with the company, but this is worse than worthless--my Mac + dock worked just fine on 10.13.6 with the beta driver, but they've now delivered a "release" driver that simply displays a black screen (with cursor). The "release" solution is actually worse than the beta solution, at least for those with the newest hardware. I'm speechless that the company decided that a driver that didn't function on the newest MacBook Pros was worthy of release consideration.

C'mon DisplayLink...we all expect better of you. You should be ashamed.

Last edited by heycoop; 09-24-2018 at 09:58 PM.
heycoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 09:57 PM   #554
heycoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmas26 View Post
I get black screens with a cursor that does nothing.

MacBook Pro (2018) 13", 4 Tbolt ports
2x Dell P2217H 1080p
Dell D6000 dock

DisplayLink 5.0 drivers. Right after upgrading, while still on 4.3 beta, it was working with the airplay workaround. Now I don't even have that option and can't downgrade.

This is really frustrating. I'm going to recommend my company stay away from DisplayLink enabled products moving forward.
And, to echo the comments of bmas26, it's impossible to downgrade, and neither of the earlier drivers (4.3 beta or 5.0 beta) work. Ridiculous.

Personally, this was the last straw for my own use of DisplayLink--I just ordered the CalDigit TS3 Plus Thunderbolt 3 Dock. I'll move the DisplayLink dock to somebody else's machine--one not running Mojave--so after a whole lot of years putting up with DisplayLink issues, I'm done.

Last edited by heycoop; 09-24-2018 at 11:06 PM.
heycoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 11:02 PM   #555
strim

Hi heycoop, all,

My hardware is MacBook Pro (13" Retina Early 2015)
In total I'm using 3 monitors and keep the lid closed.
The monitors are connected as following:

(1) 2K -> Thunderbolt
(2) 1080p -> HDMI
(3) 1080p -> DisplayLink (USB-to-DVI19 adapter) -> USB

So, the last half of the year I had the troubles with the connection (3). Now, half of the day so far so good, works great with no extra CPU load.
BTW, I took special care to uninstall 4.3b2 I had used before. The uninstall reported some errors, but I ignored them and installed 5.0 next, and it worked for me.

Last edited by strim; 09-24-2018 at 11:33 PM.
strim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 04:40 PM   #556
RainbowShooter

Everything back to normal for me on 10.14 Mojave using version 5.0 driver - we got there in the end, thanks!
RainbowShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 06:43 PM   #557
Pbowater

OK, so not entirely smooth, but am back up and running.

The uninstaller that comes with 4.3 failed to uninstall itself, but by running the 5.0 uninstaller, that worked, so after multiple reboots, and a successful 5.0 installation, I have two monitors back up and running on my MacBook Air mid-2012. Prior to being able to clean things properly( but with 5.0 installed), I had the black screens, with just a mouse pointer and thought I was in a right pickle...

Performance is better, much, much better, the mouse no longer skips across the screen like it did when running 3D stuff in the browser (e.g. https://www.raf.mod.uk/aircraft/lightning/ ) . Previously it would slow down even if I de-focused the browser tab, or hid it behind another tab, now, I do still get a slow down, but nothing like before.

Checking activity monitor, when viewing the above page the DisplayLink drivers are hogging between 75 and 132% of CPU. I really don't think it should be doing that if I am honest with you.

So, at the moment, many, many steps forward (and a lot less cables) so definitely a win, but looking forward to 5.1 for sure.

For those with blank screens, try the proper cleaning routine and see what happens, nothing to lose but some time.

Thanks to the DL team.
Pbowater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 06:57 PM   #558
brossow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pbowater View Post
For those with blank screens, try the proper cleaning routine and see what happens, nothing to lose but some time.
What do you consider the proper cleaning routine? Brand-new MacBook Air (2017, 13") with Mojave freshly installed. Downloaded and installed v5.0, then rebooted: black screen. Ran the uninstaller and rebooted: black screen (as expected). Re-ran the installer and rebooted: black screen. Repeat with various combinations of dock attached and unattached, monitor attached and unattached, etc. Add in some zapping of PRAM and resetting of SMC and you've got a picture of most of my evening last night. If there's a "proper cleaning routine" I'm missing, please point me in the right direction. Well beyond frustrated here.
brossow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 10:02 PM   #559
Pbowater

You might be, but no need to take it out on me

The 5.0 cleaner was what did it for me.
Pbowater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 02:21 AM   #560
ralfonso

Default DisplayLink 5.0 works with Mojave 10.14

I can confirm that DL 5.0 also works with upgrade to Mojave 10.14.

1. upgraded to Mojave
2. downloaded DL 5.0
3. ran uninstaller from 5.0 (and restart)
4. installed 5.0 (and restart)
5. plugged in dock, and it dual extended mode works
6. docked/undocked a few times and it continues to work.

Note: I had to do Steps 2-4 a few times.
1st time I did while docked.. this was unsuccessful.
2nd time i did while undocked, and only docked after install/restart and that worked for me.
ralfonso is offline   Reply With Quote