Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software

Old 12-30-2019, 07:51 PM   #1
md53a

Default DisplayLink macOS App

I am generally having good results with this Alpha version BUT, when I close the lid of my 2017 MAC running Catalina 10.15.2 (19C57), the display stays on then goes off a minute or so later and repeats this sequence. This is clearly an issue.

Also, I'm not sure that I saw it mentioned but only two of the four ports on the 13-inch 2016 and 2017 MacBook Pro with a Touch Bar support Thunderbolt 3 at full performance. (The ones on the left side.) I don't know if the reduced bandwidth matters when using multiple monitors plus gigabit ethernet + an external USB Drive; perhaps you could comment?

And finally, looking forward to being able to use my Apple Watch to authenticate instead of receiving the message that this is not supported when "sharing" screens which the DisplayLink driver must be doing.
md53a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 09:51 PM   #2
cfabulous

Having the same exact issue with a 2019 MacBook Pro running 10.15.2 (Catalina) and 0.1.21 (displaylink app).

When I close the lid on my MacBook, every minute or so it the screens will go black as though the computer is trying to sleep. I've corrected settings to be sure it does NOT sleep on lid close and the same behavior continues. Also, in the display configuration menu (with the lid closed), the on board screen shows up as one to be configured.

Everything is working now, but my MacBook lid must remain open!
cfabulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 05:03 AM   #3
joepke-m

Clamshell mode is not supported (yet), please read the instructions
joepke-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 02:12 AM   #4
md53a

Quote:
Originally Posted by joepke-m View Post
Clamshell mode is not supported (yet), please read the instructions
I had no idea what clamshell mode was. Thank you for explaining that clamshell mode = lid closed. You might want to explain that better.
Old 01-31-2020, 02:06 PM   #5
wrbluepearl

Default Clamshell mode

To be honest, this alpha driver has been about as stable as the standard driver, and I've been really impressed with the performance and low memory/CPU usage. I'm a glutton for punishment and always try the latest stuff, but I feel like this time it's been paying off.

I'm using a 2016 12" Retina MacBook, and I've encountered the same issue others have described with monitors connected to the laptop's internal GPU-driven DisplayPort blanking out occasionally. I did note that clamshell mode isn't supported in the release notes, but figured I'd try it anyway! To be honest, the occasional monitor blanking is actually not as bad as an issue we had a few years ago with the RMB, where external monitors would periodically lose signal and come back (I did a bug report and the whole rigamarole with Apple engineering on that one).

Anyway, wanted to provide some positive feedback on the new Alpha drivers!
wrbluepearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 01:22 AM   #6
md53a

Any ETA on when Clamshell mode will make an appearance?

Tags
apple watch, displaylink macos app