Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software

Old 07-30-2021, 10:59 PM   #1
macais

Default After update to 11.5.1 only 1920x1080

Hello all,

after updating to 11.5.1 I only get a resolution of 1920.
Before I had 3840x2160 on both displays.

My configuration:
M1
HP USB-C/A Universal Docking Station G2
2x Dell S3221QS (32", 4k)

Do you have any ideas? Have already uninstalled DL several times and run Reset macOS display persistence 1.0.

Thanks!
macais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 03:27 PM   #2
ryanhunt

I'm also having this problem - tested working on a MacBook Air 2020 (Intel) w/ 11.4 and it works fine. Tried on a MacBook Pro M1 w/ 11.5.1 and only see 1080p. When I select 'scaled' I see no other options.

Same displays work fine on Windows, it appears to be related to latest MacOS update.

Setup: Dell D6000, 2x 4K Dell displays connected via HDMI and DisplayPort

Update: On an Early 2015 MacBook Pro 13" running 11.15.1, I have no problems with the same Dell D6000 dock and same monitors. Only difference is it's connected via USB-A and not USB-C like my M1 MacBook Pro.

system-profile.jpg

4k monitor only one option.jpg

Last edited by ryanhunt; 08-03-2021 at 03:39 PM.
ryanhunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 11:47 AM   #3
Bruce.M1

Default Dual Monitors only work at 1920 on Big Sur 11.5.1

Hello, first post, so please pardon any errors. I am having a very similar problem.
Im running 11.5.1 on an M1 MBP, 16gb ram. I have a Dell D6000 hub and 2 x 32" LG Ultrafine 4 k monitors. I am using Display port to HDMI cables (good quality) for each monitor. I have the latest (1.4) DisplayLink software installed.
I have 2 issues.

1) After rebooting, the displays do not come on. I have to open the laptop, DisplayLink says no monitor detected, pull out the the docks USB C cable from the laptop and reinsert. Then the monitors come right up and DisplayLink says monitor detected. I close the laptop and the monitors stay on.

2) Both my monitors are 4k resolution but when I set them up, all I can get is 4k low res in the settings. When I select "default for monitor" (which should be 4k) I get 1920 res for both. If I select scaled, I can select 4k LOW RES. Then when I go to About this Mac, displays, it says both monitors are at 1920x1080, even with 4K Low Res selected?

I am completely new to the 2 monitor scene, all the info I have found so far has been in this Forum.

Would love to hear if anyone out there has any ideas? I am going to try running one USB C monitor cable from the laptop to monitor 1 and the Displayport/HDMI cable from the dock, to the 2nd monitor with the cable mentioned and see if I can at least get the resolution I paid for.

Thanks!
Bruce.M1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 09:51 PM   #4
tommiy

4k monitors with M1 only provide you the ability to use FHD 1920x1080 on HiDPI. There is nothing else possible and yes for 4k monitors that means really large text. The other option is to use switchresx, quickres, rdm etc to get the other resolutions but again at low res. There is unfortunately no resolution to this problem with Displaylink. Refer to the thread here on displaylink regarding the topic. You can vote for requesting displaylink provide 2560x1440 HiDPI here but after 9 months and no replies I guess that it is very unlikely. Hope that helps.
tommiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 10:09 PM   #5
slawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommiy View Post
The other option is to use switchresx, quickres, rdm etc to get the other resolutions but again at low res.
For my setup (M1 13" MacBook Pro running 11.5.1 with StarTech branded DisplayLink Hub and Samsung U28E590 4K monitor) I am able to get the other resolutions you mention at low res without installing any other software -- I just need to hold 'option' while clicking the 'scaled' option in order to see other available resolutions including (but not limited to) 3480x2160 (low resolution) and 2560x1440 (low resolution).
slawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 06:54 AM   #6
Bruce.M1

Thanks for this information. I wish Display Link had made this a little more obvious in their documentation. But I guess it would have made no difference. I am now running 1 monitor directly from my M1 and getting 4k res. The 2nd monitor is running off my Dell D6000 hub. I did select 4k low res so the monitors sort of match in their displays. I am still trying to figure out why I have to unplug and replug the dock cable, after rebooting, to get the dual monitors to display. Thanks again for this information.
Old 08-06-2021, 07:13 AM   #7
Bruce.M1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommiy View Post
4k monitors with M1 only provide you the ability to use FHD 1920x1080 on HiDPI. There is nothing else possible and yes for 4k monitors that means really large text. The other option is to use switchresx, quickres, rdm etc to get the other resolutions but again at low res. There is unfortunately no resolution to this problem with Displaylink. Refer to the thread here on displaylink regarding the topic. You can vote for requesting displaylink provide 2560x1440 HiDPI here but after 9 months and no replies I guess that it is very unlikely. Hope that helps.
Read the 2 threads. Looks like a lost cause having the issue addressed.
Old 08-06-2021, 10:11 PM   #8
tommiy

Yes its extremely disappointing. I originally purchased a M1 with the expectation that a displaylink dock would enable 2 monitors at 2560x1440 and piggybacked a D6000 off the back of an elgato thunderbolt dock. I simply could not work with the 4k display being blurry all the time and there being no solution. I returned the M1 as a result and returned to using a intel MAC which handles multiple screens at one time. Unfortunately I was provided with a M1 yesterday and its unfortunate that nothing has changed. Although Displaylink has not responded in 9 months to the suggestion to even say its is not possible it would appear that its the logical outcome. I'd also suggested they opensource the code because there are alot of very smart people out there who may be able to address this as Displaylink more than likely make their money off licensing for the adapters rather than the driver itself. There has been no response to that either. So I guess the answer here is clear.

Glad the links were able to assist.
Old 08-06-2021, 10:25 PM   #9
tommiy

Hmmm duplicate post so removing this one.
Old 08-13-2021, 11:31 AM   #10
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce.M1 View Post
Hello, first post, so please pardon any errors. I am having a very similar problem.
Im running 11.5.1 on an M1 MBP, 16gb ram. I have a Dell D6000 hub and 2 x 32" LG Ultrafine 4 k monitors. I am using Display port to HDMI cables (good quality) for each monitor. I have the latest (1.4) DisplayLink software installed.
I have 2 issues.

1) After rebooting, the displays do not come on. I have to open the laptop, DisplayLink says no monitor detected, pull out the the docks USB C cable from the laptop and reinsert. Then the monitors come right up and DisplayLink says monitor detected. I close the laptop and the monitors stay on.

2) Both my monitors are 4k resolution but when I set them up, all I can get is 4k low res in the settings. When I select "default for monitor" (which should be 4k) I get 1920 res for both. If I select scaled, I can select 4k LOW RES. Then when I go to About this Mac, displays, it says both monitors are at 1920x1080, even with 4K Low Res selected?

I am completely new to the 2 monitor scene, all the info I have found so far has been in this Forum.

Would love to hear if anyone out there has any ideas? I am going to try running one USB C monitor cable from the laptop to monitor 1 and the Displayport/HDMI cable from the dock, to the 2nd monitor with the cable mentioned and see if I can at least get the resolution I paid for.

Thanks!
Hello,
Could you please contact tech support about 1) and mention I sent you?
Here is how: https://support.displaylink.com/know...rticles/755301

For 2), there are some challenges on M1 but we have reported this and it is being worked on.

Regards,
Alban

Where to download the latest DisplayLink drivers
How to clean up a corrupted installation
How to report issues to DisplayLink for a speedy resolution
AlbanRampon is offline   Reply With Quote