Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software

Old 02-13-2018, 12:34 AM   #41
roadtest

I am new Mac user and just purchased this new MacBook Pro(2.9G I7 with 16GB DDR3 memory/dual graphics(Intel HD graphics 630 and Radeon 560). Laptop is connected to a USB3.0 dock station with two DVI ports.

After installing the latest macos update and reinstall DisplayLink driver 4.1.11. My two monitors are working fine. Then I disconnected laptop, work somewhere else for few hours, then came back, reconnect to the USB dock. Both monitors has no output. Reboot laptop doesn't make any difference. I have to uninstall the driver and reinstall it. From what I can see after driver installation, all three monitors(two external monitors and one built one) are using Intel HD graphics 630 card. After I disconnect/reconnect the USB dock, it reports Radeon 560 is being used, as a result, all output to the two external monitors. Other than reinstalling the driver, I haven't figured out way to choose graphic card.

I did try to reload the DisplayLink driver without reinstallation. The "kextunload/kextload" complains there already has one instance using the driver and doesn't allow me to unload driver from cli, which is strange behavior.

Last edited by roadtest; 02-13-2018 at 12:38 AM.
roadtest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 08:08 AM   #42
njoerd

I can confirm that the problem persists in Beta 2. Had to uninstall the displaylink driver completely to not go insane since my integrated screen got glitchy and flickery after installing beta2.
njoerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 05:18 PM   #43
toastido

It's been what, 3 weeks now, and all I've heard is that they believe they have identified the issue and hope to have it resolved shortly.

DisplayLink guys - please let us know what's going on here. Some of us rely on your technology for our business and it's difficult to go without.

That being said, if you have a beta driver, I for one would be glad to test it for you.

Thanks!
toastido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 05:20 PM   #44
aehsmu

Default Multiple installations

I echo the sentiments of users frustrations.

I currently have 4 Macs that are hobbled due to the broken DisplayLink driver.

Being a developer myself, I understand the problems related to OS changes.

However, a reply to this thread from DisplayLink folks would be helpful.
--
Eric H.
--
aehsmu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 08:32 PM   #45
RGloverii

While we are all currently impacted by this issue, I think it’s important to note that we have caused this issue ourselves by installing an Apple BETA product on presumably PRODUCTION machines. That is a risk, and we are now suffering the result of that risk.

I can not fault DisplayLink for not providing a fix yet. That is the point of developer betas. To flesh out incompatibilities and resolve before general release of the update.
RGloverii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 09:27 PM   #46
toastido

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGloverii View Post
While we are all currently impacted by this issue, I think it’s important to note that we have caused this issue ourselves by installing an Apple BETA product on presumably PRODUCTION machines. That is a risk, and we are now suffering the result of that risk.
While I can appreciate what you are saying, nobody is blaming DisplayLink for the issue. We're just pushing to get it fixed. (Besides, if apple were to release 10.13.4 to the public today, it'd still be broken.)

Quote:
I can not fault DisplayLink for not providing a fix yet. That is the point of developer betas. To flesh out incompatibilities and resolve before general release of the update.
Again, we're just anxious to get the fix. I have even offered to test a "beta" fix to see if it works outside of a lab environment for them.

Another thing to note, is that most developers (like myself) keep up to date with developer/public betas so we can do just that, flesh out incompatibilities and resolve before GA. That is why we would have installed it on "production" machines.

Not blaming anyone, or even getting mad; Just requesting updates to this issue.
toastido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 09:59 PM   #47
RGloverii

I think that DisplayLink tends to be more open and communicative regarding issues and status than most established vendors. And I appreciate that.

Yes, this incompatibility is inconvenient to all of us on this thread. And it goes without saying that we would like to see a fix ASAP. I simply don’t see any need to further impress upon DisplayLink that we want a fix. They are well aware of the need for a fix. Not only for us on this thread, but for ALL consumers of their products.

As for potential DisplayLink beta releases: This is something they already do. They are made public when available for testing.

I hope I don’t come across as being rude. That’s not my intent. I’m just providing my thoughts as someone who has utilized their products both personally and professionally for a long time.
RGloverii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 01:49 AM   #48
dizash

Quote:
I think that DisplayLink tends to be more open and communicative regarding issues and status than most established vendors. And I appreciate that.

Yes, this incompatibility is inconvenient to all of us on this thread. And it goes without saying that we would like to see a fix ASAP. I simply don’t see any need to further impress upon DisplayLink that we want a fix. They are well aware of the need for a fix. Not only for us on this thread, but for ALL consumers of their products.

As for potential DisplayLink beta releases: This is something they already do. They are made public when available for testing.

I hope I don’t come across as being rude. That’s not my intent. I’m just providing my thoughts as someone who has utilized their products both personally and professionally for a long time.
I too appreciate the transparency from DL. It's a rare thing and much appreciated. Since this thread seems to have received the most participation in users sharing their configs/settings and more importantly, an update from Carlo when they discovered the one or two likely causes for the issue that's universal.

Anyway, besides giving this thread a bump, I noticed that if I selectmirror displays in system prefs (something I was prepared to cause a freeze or crash), the display attached to a DL to USB 3, went from lime green, to actually displaying what appears to be my login screen. I can only guess because the system prefs/ displays for that particular display is in the middle of the screen hiding the 3 accounts displayed on my login screen. Unfortunately, that's the only time I see anything different and requires a hard restart (holding down the power button). I'm also confirming that taking a screen shot of the diplay by dragging my trackpad pointer to that display (and using the cmd+shift+3 screenshot method), leaves you with a screen shot of your display how it should be displaying. It'definitely strange as it's like the lime green screen seems like a privacy measure - even though I know that's not what it is- I ony say that knowing that underneath the green, the display functions. More specifically, I'm able to drag things over there as well as blindly get them back .

Again the work by DL finding the likely issues and letting us know really is appreciated. Solid move and it's forr that reason and access to betas in the past which is why i haven't considered any other multi-screen solution. Thanks.
dizash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 08:14 AM   #49
Carlo
Mac Team

Hi All,

Update from us about this issue.

No solution yet. We are running a quite large number of experiments and still trying to get more info out of Apple.
I cannot share much, however we are aware of a few cases where the "yellow screen" issue can occasionally show pixels. This is one line of enquiry so if this happens to you, please let us know in which conditions.

As you can imagine this issue is higher than highest priority for us. Thank you for your comments and the useful information posted so far. Don't stop!

We have raised the 10.13.4 issue with Apple, it's ID 37385102.
We invite everyone to raise this problem with Apple. The bigger your deployment the better. Please let us know if the support team close as duplicate of an internal issue and let us know which is the internal issue.

Kind regards
Carlo
Carlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 01:07 PM   #50
slvrscoobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlo View Post
Hi All,

Update from us about this issue.

No solution yet. We are running a quite large number of experiments and still trying to get more info out of Apple.
I cannot share much, however we are aware of a few cases where the "yellow screen" issue can occasionally show pixels. This is one line of enquiry so if this happens to you, please let us know in which conditions.

As you can imagine this issue is higher than highest priority for us. Thank you for your comments and the useful information posted so far. Don't stop!

We have raised the 10.13.4 issue with Apple, it's ID 37385102.
We invite everyone to raise this problem with Apple. The bigger your deployment the better. Please let us know if the support team close as duplicate of an internal issue and let us know which is the internal issue.

Kind regards
Carlo
I can occasionally see the desktop 'behind the yellow' on my 13" mbp mid2012. however, its usually when swiping between desktops on the main screen it blinks for a moment. however it isnt consistent. another user happy to alpha test drivers if it can help
slvrscoobie is offline   Reply With Quote