Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > Alpha, Beta Software Testing Programs > Closed Alpha and Beta Programs > CLOSED: Mac 1.6 Release

Old 07-30-2010, 11:39 PM   #1
aiyagari

Default Solution

As mentioned in the "failing to wake from sleep" thread, I have found a solution to the driver crash problem. It is not pretty, and clearly a hack, but it works and will allow you to use the monitor with the existing 1.6b2 driver. I've been running this way for 10 days with no crash now. I've run it with and without my external monitors, no problem. I have a MacBook Pro i5 with 10.6.4, 4 GB RAM. I normally run it with lid open and internal monitor enabled, with an external DVI display on the Mini DisplayPort and a Diamond BVU-195 DisplayLink device as a third monitor. My "main display" is the internal display -- I did not want to play around with changing that and adding more variables.
Old 07-30-2010, 11:40 PM   #2
aiyagari

Steps for the solution:
1. Download and install sleepwatcher:
http://www.bernhard-baehr.de/
tar xvf sleepwatcher_2.1.tar
cd sleepwatcher_2.1
sudo cp sleepwatcher /usr/local/bin
cd config
sudo cp de.bernhard-baehr.sleepwatcher-20compatibility.plist /Library/LaunchDaemons/de.bernhard-baehr.sleepwatcher.plist
sudo cp rc.sleep rc.wakeup /etc
Old 07-30-2010, 11:43 PM   #3
aiyagari

Attached a text file, since I was having trouble pasting my solution
Old 07-30-2010, 11:44 PM   #4
aiyagari

attachment included
Attached Files
File Type: txt fix-displaylink.txt (3.4 KB, 915 views)
Old 08-13-2010, 08:44 AM   #5
mastahype

Default I think this works

I set this up as soon as you posted (started with your previous post) because I was thinking of doing the same thing but didn't have the details. I've been having a tough time because I also recently got the Magic Trackpad and the Trackpad Driver Software Update, which now prevents my Mac from sleeping after idle. I ended up just using pmset to manually sleep my mac with sleepwatcher's idle command. As you might imagine, I wasn't having any issues with your fix after the Trackpad update at first because the darn computer never actually slept (I had display sleep timer the same as main sleep).

I would recommend more people try this fix and report results. The sleepwatcher I installed months ago was a bit easier to setup. I created a login agent/daemon to simply run my custom sleepwatcher command.
Old 08-13-2010, 01:32 PM   #6
wuffe

References to this workaround method have been around on this forum for some months now:

http://www.displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=358

My original post on plugable.com:

http://plugable.com/2010/06/16/worka...-usb-ethernet/

/Uffe :-)
Old 08-14-2010, 07:53 PM   #7
mastahype

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuffe View Post
References to this workaround method have been around on this forum for some months now:

http://www.displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=358

My original post on plugable.com:

http://plugable.com/2010/06/16/worka...-usb-ethernet/

/Uffe :-)
Not sure if you're just plugging your blog or trying to offer additional help, but that seems like an isolated use case. I don't have any USB ethernet drivers and most times I don't have any other USB devices connected other than the Displaylink device. I would say this is a generic problem with Displaylink and/or Apple drivers.
Old 08-16-2010, 08:18 AM   #8
wuffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastahype View Post
Not sure if you're just plugging your blog or trying to offer additional help, but that seems like an isolated use case. I don't have any USB ethernet drivers and most times I don't have any other USB devices connected other than the Displaylink device. I would say this is a generic problem with Displaylink and/or Apple drivers.
I'm not in anyway connected with plugable.com
I'm just making sure that the subjects are "cross linked" since the creator of this thread did not see the original post - chances are higher that other users will find it now.

Lots of DisplayLink users have hybrid devices - like the plugable device or eg the Toshiba DynaDock
Many of these hybrid devices have besides the UGA also sound, ethernet, serial, hub all driven by the same USB.

The conbination of multiple devices poses new problems for the MacOSX kernel - sleepwatcher seems like a "unified" workaround - for now...
Old 08-17-2010, 05:35 AM   #9
mastahype

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuffe View Post
I'm not in anyway connected with plugable.com
I'm just making sure that the subjects are "cross linked" since the creator of this thread did not see the original post - chances are higher that other users will find it now.

Lots of DisplayLink users have hybrid devices - like the plugable device or eg the Toshiba DynaDock
Many of these hybrid devices have besides the UGA also sound, ethernet, serial, hub all driven by the same USB.

The conbination of multiple devices poses new problems for the MacOSX kernel - sleepwatcher seems like a "unified" workaround - for now...
Understood. Guess we're all waiting for a real solution.