Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2016, 08:09 AM   #1
DaveTheBrave

Default Windows 10 Anniversary Update Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdx View Post
I'm on WIP Build 14915 with 8.0 M2 driver now and coudn't notice any lag, most probably this issue was resolved
Question for you and everyone else in the thread - are you sure the lag is completely gone? The Quick fix I use right now (keeping laptop display Active) is definitely an improvement, but it's not perfect. I will split up the issue in two to make it clear what exactly I am referring to:
  1. Mouse stutter. This is perhaps the easier of the two to spot since the pointer will stop in movement for a few hundred ms even though you are still moving the mouse. For me this has been completely solved using workaround.

2. Mouse delay (lag) - the delay between you moving your hand and the pointer to react on screen. This can be trickier to notice but for me who is used to the tracking of my mouse it is quite apparent. Mind you, the delay was considerably worse previous to the workaround (imagine using a remote desktop on a shitty Connection). But even after workaround it is not completely gone, if I were to guess I'm seeing ~50ms delay. If you want to try this yourself, an easy way is to rapidly Create circles with the pointer. The pointer should pretty much follow your movements 1:1 but in my case it lags behind.

Another obvious way of trying this is to compare mouse tracking with dock connected vs. disconnected.

While the workaround is a definite improvement and I would be able to work like this, I hope the windows patch will remove any and all lag.
DaveTheBrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 02:35 PM   #2
rbm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheBrave View Post
[*]Mouse delay (lag)[...]
I know what you mean. After I upgraded to Windows 10.1607 I only had access to the 8.0 M1 drivers. And mouse lag was very obvious and I was barely able to work properly. With the release of the M2 drivers it got much better. But I still have some lag. Sometimes itīs barely noticable and sometimes itīs horrible for a few seconds.
The lag seems to be connected to 2 things for me:
  1. CPU Usage: When the CPU usage goes up (and sometimes it seems that this is also caused by the DisplayLink drivers in the wudfhost.exe), lag gets worse. CPU usage also seems to go up sometimes when I have huge changes on my screens like the open animations of 2 big windows on both screens nearly simultaneously. Then you better not try to move the mouse.
  2. RDP sessions: I noticed that when I have RDP sessions open on one of the 2 external screens, I get more mouse lags also on the other screen where no RDP session is opened. I never have lag on the native screen of my Surface. When I close all RDP sessions, the lag is improved and not noticeable again.

I had none of those problems on the older driver Versions on Windows 10.1511. I understand that a new driver model is used and thereīs a lot of work for the driver engineers, but I will refrain from buying new DisplayLink Docking Stations for my company until this is fixed / massively improved. Iīll get problems with my colleagues in the current state, so Iīll delay the rollout for Windows 10.1607 a bit for now.
rbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 03:16 PM   #3
DaveTheBrave

I can definitely attest to the CPU Usage link. Lag is usually bearable when only panning between already open windows and such, but as soon as I start opening applications/playing Heavy video files the lag increases notably just to go back down when PC is done loading/buffering.
DaveTheBrave is offline   Reply With Quote