Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software

Old 02-26-2013, 11:10 AM   #31
Wim

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennis View Post
I had a similar issue to everyone else here. I bought two Dell USB 3.0 docking stations (Dell formerly used the Targus docks, but now has them branded by DisplayLink for Dell). One never worked, and the other worked for a while then stopped. I went over some things with Dell, and we even replaced one, but nothing changed. Then one of the Dell techs had me update the NIC driver, BIOS, chipset drivers, and Dell Feature Enhancement software. After installing this I rebooted and the GB port worked. Then we noticed that pushing the cable all the way in caused to lose linkl light. Pulling the cable out until the security clip stopped it resulted in the lights coming back on. It appears that the contact pins inside the port may be short and pushing the cable in as far as it will go results in a loss of connectivity.
Thanks for the feedback. We have let Targus know about this so they can investigate.

Wim
Wim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:35 PM   #32
ptr727

Similar issue here.

Lenovo Ideapad Yoga 13
Windows 8 Pro 64 DisplayLink 7.1 M1
Targus ACP70USZ with firmware 4401

When physical link is down adapter state shows on but no IP, 169 subnet.
Remove plug, replug, link is up, wait wait, physical link is down.

Using HP ProCurve 1810G-24 v2 switch.
Log shows port up down up down up down.

Any feedback from Targus?
ptr727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:06 PM   #33
wlfuer

Default Gigabit Issue Workaround

I wanted to share if it helps someone. This gigabit network issue has been a problem for me in my home office which is wired with Cat5 100MBt. I have 11 machines, many new ones with Gigabit adapters that have no problem negotiating down.

This Targus ACP71USZ dock's gigabit port simply will not reliably negotiate down or it seems even work on anything less than a 1GBit Cat5e or Cat6 connection.

What I did was take my source network (cat5/100mbt) and plug into a gigabit desktop switch. From that switch connected to the dock with a cat6 cable. Since then, network keeps working don't have to power off/on the dock or anything. It does not look like there are any settings for this Targus gigabit to have it work in 'slow mode' or half-duplex that I could find.

Hope this helps someone, besides this it has worked great for me and now I am OK with this workaround.
wlfuer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 05:36 PM   #34
Wim

The Ethernet on the dock must be set to auto negotiate, as there is no way to fix the port speed through the UI.

Also, half duplex modes are not supported, so if you try and force half duplex, the throughput will be very slow (due to packet collisions) and the speed will probably not be correctly negotiated.

Wim
Wim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:34 AM   #35
wlfuer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wim View Post
The Ethernet on the dock must be set to auto negotiate, as there is no way to fix the port speed through the UI.

Also, half duplex modes are not supported, so if you try and force half duplex, the throughput will be very slow (due to packet collisions) and the speed will probably not be correctly negotiated.

Wim
Interesting, you mind explaining how to set this on the Targus Giga Ethernet Properties? I can only set a MAC address, VLAN ID, and Wake on LAN.

I have multiple other machines on the same network with Gigabit capability and have no issues with them on my Cat5/100Mbit network.

Where is the 'auto negotiate' setting on the dock or are you saying it is something the manufacturer (Targus) would have to set?

I'm just trying to understand. I appreciate the info and as I noted, just connecting the dock to a gigabit desktop switch that is connected to my network is working reliably now. Never had a gigabit capable device have problems before on my network. I am only posting as it was a pain for me and hopefully it helps someone. Thank you!
wlfuer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:03 PM   #36
TargusIsBad

Default ACP70 waste of time and money

This thing is absolute trash. Do not buy it. I spent half a day wrestling with this thing trying to get it installed. I called both Targus and Dell support (I was trying to use it with a new xps laptop) and it simply does not work. Windows only recognizes it as a USB hub... the network, display, and audio do not work. Save yourself the trouble and look for alternate solutions. This is not only a waste of money but worse a waste of time and source of frustration.

This is only useful as an overpriced USB hub or brick.
TargusIsBad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:10 PM   #37
rachabot

Thumbs down Gig Ethernet and Mouse Issues

Not to beat a dead horse here, but I have the exact issues with this same Targus ACP70USZ docking station. The Ethernet never worked right (would never negotiate to Gig speed), and I may have been able to deal with that, but the mouse lagging was the biggest thing I could not deal with. Just moving the mouse across the screen would pause (for up to a second or more) then jump to where it was supposed to be. I have read many others having this issue. This dock was almost $200 (from DELL) and is attached to an XPS12 Ultrabook (Windows 8) Tablet/Notebook convertible. I have the latest DisplayLink Software (version 7.2M0), but nothing I tried made a difference. I have replaced it with a USB 3.0 HUB from Plugable (7-Port) and connected my external monitor with the MiniDP connection on the side of the XPS12. Everything works smoothly (mouse too). The Targus dock is apparently at fault here.
rachabot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 03:05 PM   #38
zcr1208

Default Windows 8 Doesn't Recognize Driver

I am having a similar issue, my computer is not recognizing the drivers that were installed. Can someone help?
Attached Files
File Type: zip AZCORP_20130521_090940.zip (3.03 MB, 6 views)
zcr1208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:18 PM   #39
zristic

Thumbs down

I spent significant amount of time with Targus TACP70US to make it work properly. I would like to share my findings with others and to help solving the issue.

The first device I got did not work with video output, so I got it replaced.
The second one worked perfectly out of the box, but only for two weeks.

All of a sudden the video output did not work anymore so did not the ethernet connection. I contacted Targus support, but it seems I was emailing a bot since I got only generic replies saying I needed to update the drivers.

Of course, the driver update did not work and it took me some time to realize that windows/driver update always automatically updates the driver to the newest version, no matter what I install. That rang the bell and I started the procedure to revert drivers backwards until I got the device back to work. However, I had to turn off automatic driver update in control panel.

The DisplayLink driver that got the thing working is almost one year old- the version that works now with me is 6.3M1, from August 2012.

Ethernet is working now, so is the video output, but only at some resolutions. Earlier I had it working on most of the resolutions offered, but now I can normally use only two, which is not a bummer anyway.

I hope this findings of mine help others.

I also wish I could invoice Targus/DisplayLink for the hours I spent in fixing the issue. It took me quite a lot of time indeed, but let it be...
zristic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 05:19 AM   #40
Badidas

Default Asus Zenbook

I spent a significant amount of time on this as well and was able to get it to work so thought I would share. In my case, the LAN driver wasn't recognized at all. I have an Asus Zenbook running Windows 8. Here's what ended up resolving it for me:

1. Downloaded and installed the latest DisplayLink drivers
2. Opened Device Manager
3. Found that Targus Giga Ethernet was shown as a Unrecognized Device
4. Chose to update the driver. Specify a driver and pointed to C:\Program Files\DisplayLink Core Software.

I found my audio driver was in the same state, but I haven't used that so it was not a big issue for me. The same steps fixed that also.
Badidas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gigabit ethernet, targus, usb 3.0