Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Linux and Open Source

Old 11-17-2017, 09:30 AM   #1
ron.h

Question Login loop after installing Displayink 1.4 on Ubuntu 17.10

Hello,

I could successfully install the DisplayLink drivers on my Ubuntu 17.10 system. However, after rebooting the computer I got stuck in a login loop, meaning that the login screen is appearing again and again after entering my password.

Any ideas why this happens?

I want to use my Dell docking D3100 with Ubuntu 17.10. The USB-hubs of the docking work fine, however my two screens which I connect via HDMI to the docking are not recognized by the system. Any ideas.

I appreciate your help.

Kind regards.
ron.h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 10:36 AM   #2
mlukaszek

Hi,

Just checking, have you read this? https://displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=65364

Thanks,
Michal
mlukaszek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 09:14 AM   #3
ron.h

Yes, I have tried the workaround proposed there. I always end up in a login loop. I updated Xorg from here:

https://launchpad.net/~xorg-edgers/+archive/ubuntu/ppa

but it also did not solve my problem.

Installing the Xorg file removed the login loop but did not let me see my monitors which are connected to the docking station.

Any ideas?
Old 11-21-2017, 10:13 AM   #4
ron.h

UPDATE:

I managed to install the DisplayLink driver as well as the Xorg crack shown in the link. When i detach the connection of my docking and restart the computer, I manage to log in and use both monitors, after reconnecting the docking to my computer after the reboot and log in. However, restarting while being connected to the docking station does not work and ends always in a login loop. Does anybody have an idea how to prevent this login loop while being connected to the docking station (D3100) during the boot process?

Thanks!
Old 12-28-2017, 02:56 AM   #5
at.ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron.h View Post
UPDATE:

I managed to install the DisplayLink driver as well as the Xorg crack shown in the link. When i detach the connection of my docking and restart the computer, I manage to log in and use both monitors, after reconnecting the docking to my computer after the reboot and log in. However, restarting while being connected to the docking station does not work and ends always in a login loop. Does anybody have an idea how to prevent this login loop while being connected to the docking station (D3100) during the boot process?

Thanks!
I have the same issue... could you please post exact steps that you did. Thank you!
at.ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 06:26 PM   #6
ab.simas

XPS15 9560 (i7-7700Q) with Ubuntu 17.10.

Using latest drivers for D3100 (supports 17.04 and 16.04) works fine with one flaw:

log-in screen enters an infinite loop, i.e. click user, enter pwd, click user, enter pwd, etc.

To solve this, had to restart gdm when on the login window:
  1. CTRL+ALT+F3
  2. Login via the terminal.
  3. sudo service gdm restart
  4. Login via the UI.

This may be caused because my HDD was encrypted and a password is requested during boot when (presumably) the DP ports are still unavailable.
ab.simas is offline   Reply With Quote