Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2015, 04:19 PM   #11
Kendalbeefcake

Well maybe we can figure it out between us..

I just googled your device, and it would appear that we have quite different systems;

- i3 Sandybridge vs i7 Haswell
- GeForce 610M vs Intel HD4400

In fact the only thing I can see we have in common is Windows 8.1.. Which makes me think it's not hardware compatibility issue..

If you don't mind me asking, did you upgrade from 7 first, or receive your PC with Win 8 or 8.1 from the factory? Mines a recent rebuild from OEM 8 CD which I then upgraded to 8.1.

Which build of Windows are using? 64bit or 32?

Mine shows as (via command prompt)

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.3.9600]
(c) 2013 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Windows 8.1 Pro, 64Bit

Hopefully we can rule some stuff out between us.

Thanks
Kendalbeefcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 04:38 PM   #12
ecDT

Unfortunately this is a machine at my company's office, so I have limited knowledge of its history. I believe it came with 8 preinstalled and was upgraded to 8.1, but I can't say that with absolute certainty.

I am running Windows 8.1 64-bit (6.3, Build 9600), so that definitely seems to be a shared factor.
ecDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 02:34 PM   #13
JamesH

Hi all,

Apologies for the delay in replying.

Can you try disabling any anti-virus software you may have installed and then installing the DisplayLink software before re-enabling the anti-virus software?

Thanks,
James
JamesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 03:04 PM   #14
Kendalbeefcake

Hi

Thanks, I had previously disabled my AV, now I've completely removed it. I've also shutdown/disabled all most all security-related services, to the same effect.

I tried re-running the clean-up app, which removed the drivers I had managed to install by hand (as the .INF file did not contain the actual hardware ID's my device was showing), and now I'm dumped back to the same point.

I also found this thread:

http://www.displaylink.org/forum/sho...t=62923&page=2

Which describes the same problem I think.

To that end, I also tried
- Logging on as the local Administrator (same result)
- Checked the permissions:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\DisplayLinkUsbIo_x64 - Administrator Group user have F/C

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\servic es\DisplayLinkGA - Doesn't exist (Before or after cleanup).

I'm fairly convinced that this is an issue with the installer package (as far as I can tell the core application and service never get installed. Also, when I extract

"DisplayLink_7.7M3\NIVO\DisplayLinkCore64.dat"

then rename it as a .EXE, then run it (as admin, no AV etc.)

I get this message briefly:

Please wait While Windows configures DisplayLink Core Software. Your screens may temporaily go black or flash during this process. (They don't, Screen shot attached)

Followed by this one:

DisplayLink Core Software cannot be installed on this operating system.

So I suspect that this is the error message that is being suppressed during the install.

However, Windows 8.1 64bit PRO should definitely be supported by Display link 7.7M3

I'm think about trying the corporate install, as at least that should give me a clue as to what is going on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dl0.jpg (14.6 KB, 1 views)
File Type: png dl1.PNG (10.3 KB, 1 views)
Old 01-12-2015, 03:42 PM   #15
Kendalbeefcake

Default Fixed!

Ok

So my hunch was correct; there is definitely something strange going on with the official driver package.. The "corporate install" package works just fine; you just need to use the MSI packages from the CLI and it all goes in fine, then install the drivers using the pnputil command, documented here:

http://displaylink.com/corporateinst...UsersGuide.pdf

And you are away.

I now have four screens, busting the stupid 3 screen limitation of the Intel HD4400 Chipset!
Old 01-12-2015, 03:44 PM   #16
JamesH

Hi,

Can you clean out your current install and attach the output of this tool http://www.displaylink.com/support/ticket.php?id=370 after hitting the install issue?

Thanks,
James
JamesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 04:46 PM   #17
ecDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendalbeefcake View Post
Ok

So my hunch was correct; there is definitely something strange going on with the official driver package.. The "corporate install" package works just fine; you just need to use the MSI packages from the CLI and it all goes in fine, then install the drivers using the pnputil command, documented here:

http://displaylink.com/corporateinst...UsersGuide.pdf

And you are away.

I now have four screens, busting the stupid 3 screen limitation of the Intel HD4400 Chipset!
Congratulations!

Any chance you could provide the ELI5 version for me to give this a shot as well? Unfortunately my experience working with the Windows CLI is extremely limited and I'm not sure I can work my way through this without slightly more guidance.

I've signed up for the corporate installer and downloaded the MSI installer. I've been attempting to run the installation using the command prompt (run as administrator) and the command: msiexec.exe /i "filepathgarbage\displaylinkcore.msi" /norestart /passive" for both files (core first, the setup), but I've been unable to get any further with this than I could the original installer package.

After this I ran the pnputil.exe command (as described in the document) and got the following output: "Adding the driver package failed : invalid INF passed as parameter."

For the record, this is how that command was entered:

C:\Users\Me\Downloads\DisplayLink_7.7M3_MSI\Win64> pnputil.exe -i -a DisplayLinkUsb.inf

I have no idea what I'm doing wrong or how to get any further with this. I'd like to do a full installation of whatever is already on the computer and give this a clean shot, but I'm honestly not sure how to go about that.

Any and all help is appreciated.

Last edited by ecDT; 01-12-2015 at 05:29 PM.
Old 01-12-2015, 07:59 PM   #18
Kendalbeefcake

Hi

I had to google "EIL5"

To be honest I didn't do anything radically different that what you've done; but to be sure:

- Disconnected the device
- Ran the cleanup tool to remove all previous driver instances (and rebooted)
- Don't think it was related but I had all AV/Security services shutdown removed
- Ran commands under an admin command prompt (I see you did that)
- Commands I ran:
msiexec /i %SETUP%\DisplayLinkCore.msi /norestart
pnputil.exe –i –a DisplayLinkUsb.inf
- Connected the device

It took several minutes to chug through everything, then I had to manually start the services, but it would appear your are not getting that far..

I would *hope* the DL guys would chime in at this point if thats still not working..
Old 01-12-2015, 08:58 PM   #19
ecDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendalbeefcake View Post
Hi

I had to google "EIL5"

To be honest I didn't do anything radically different that what you've done; but to be sure:

- Disconnected the device
- Ran the cleanup tool to remove all previous driver instances (and rebooted)
- Don't think it was related but I had all AV/Security services shutdown removed
- Ran commands under an admin command prompt (I see you did that)
- Commands I ran:
msiexec /i %SETUP%\DisplayLinkCore.msi /norestart
pnputil.exe –i –a DisplayLinkUsb.inf
- Connected the device

It took several minutes to chug through everything, then I had to manually start the services, but it would appear your are not getting that far..

I would *hope* the DL guys would chime in at this point if thats still not working..
I don't know if I should admit this, but I am an idiot. I was going to go through your steps exactly, starting with running the cleaner with the device unplugged, and apparently I've had it unplugged all day.

Suffice it to say, I plugged it in and it worked immediately after following your steps earlier. At least we left a solid record for the next person to stumble onto this thread. Thanks for all the help, haha.

Last edited by ecDT; 01-12-2015 at 09:26 PM.
Old 01-13-2015, 09:14 AM   #20
Kendalbeefcake

Haha! Excellent; never forget the first rule of computing:-

Is it plugged in?

Glad you are up and running also, and thanks for helping me rule a bunch of stuff out..

Regards