Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software

Old 02-20-2019, 09:48 PM   #1
rawbert

Default Difficult BSOD Issues - WHEA UNCORRECTABLE ERROR

Good Afternoon,

I have been using a Targus USB docking station with DisplayLink on my ASUS laptop for over a year. About 3 months ago I began experiencing random BSOD. After musc effort, including hiring Geeks-On-Site, I have been unable to resolve the issue.

What I do know is that my laptop works perfectly fine when not connected to the docking station. Within 5 minutes of plugging it into the dock, my system crashes and I get the BSOD with the error "WHEA UNCORRECTABLE ERROR".

Thinking that the dock was some how outdated or damaged, I bought a brand new docking station with the same results.

Here is everything I tried to fix it.
- Updated windows
- Manually updated display drivers
- Bought new docking station
- Changed out connection cords
- Reset entire computer back to factory specs
- Uninstalled all antiviruis software
- did an sfx/scannow
- optimized disk
- hired Geeks-On-Site, they spent about 4 hours trying to fix the issue

System Details
- Windows 10 Home
- Version 1809
- OS Build 17763.316
- 64-bit operating sustem, x64-based processor
- Intel Core i7-8550U @1.80 GHz

Any help would be appreciated, I really need to go back to my a dock station set up. Right now I have to plug and unplug everything manually; and yes, everything works when its plugged directly into my Laptop.
rawbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 12:42 PM   #2
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Hello,
When a BSoD occurs, the memory is saved to a file with the last events before the kernel tripped. BSoD comes from kernel (low level) issues, not normal user mode software.

Could I get the MEMORY.DMP ?

It can be a large file. It compresses/zips very well.
You can put it on the cloud file sharing of your choice and send me a link. I will download it straight away and you can free your space again.

The last link of my signature as instructions on log files. That might prove useful too, but the MEMORY.DMP is the priority.

Kind regards,
Alban

Where to download the latest DisplayLink drivers
How to clean up a corrupted installation
How to report issues to DisplayLink for a speedy resolution

Last edited by AlbanRampon; 02-21-2019 at 12:44 PM.
AlbanRampon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 05:32 PM   #3
rawbert

Good Afternoon.

I will work on getting you the memory file. I do have an update on my problem, I think I have narrowed it done a little further.

I had my laptop running for a few days not connected to anything except a wireless mouse/keyboard via wireless USB and one external monitor connected directly into the laptops HDMI. I had no issues at all.

My next step was to plug the docking station into the laptop with no external devices connected to the dock station. Again no issues.

I then connected the wireless mouse/keyboard from the laptop into the dock station. Again no issues were experienced for over a day.

Today I decided to unplug the monitor from the laptop and directly into the dock station. Within 5 minutes my system crashed. I rebooted with the monitor in the laptop, no issues. I tried a different monitor connected to the dock station and it also crashed.

I now have everything running through the dock station EXCEPT the monitor, which is plugged directly into the laptop, and I am experiencing no issues with my laptop performance.

Does this help?
Old 02-21-2019, 05:45 PM   #4
rawbert

I am having difficulty figuring out how to access and send you the memory dump file, but not being a programmer I am confused.

I downloaded Windows Debug Diagnostics Tool v1.2 but the instructions confuse me. Can you provide any links or videos that might help me figure out how to get you this file?
Old 02-21-2019, 06:32 PM   #5
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Good afternoon,

I looked up this BSOD code as I had never met it.
Microsoft website mentions it refers to a hardware fault.
DisplayLink doesn't have a kernel mode driver on that version of Windows so technically can't be the source of it.
https://mywindowshub.com/how-to-conf...files-on-bsod/
That link explains how to check computer configuration. It should be creating a dump by default and that's what the percentage in the BSOD screen refers to: writing the memory to the disk.

Kind regards,
Alban

Where to download the latest DisplayLink drivers
How to clean up a corrupted installation
How to report issues to DisplayLink for a speedy resolution
AlbanRampon is offline   Reply With Quote