Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2014, 11:15 AM   #1
Jay Muthukamatchi

Question DisplayLink driver - Windows 8.1 compatibility issue?

Follow-up to my pervious post regarding problem with DisplayLink v7.4 or v7.5 and Windows 8.1

After two days of troubleshooting (including following the steps described in DisplayLink support website and forum) the displaylink UI does not work.

After all the troubleshooting the "DisplayLink" does not show up in my Device Manager. It shows as "Generic Superspeed USB Hub" and the DisplayLink UI never comes up.

I see more and more community members reporting similar problems with Windows 8.1.

I looked at competitor Docking Station products. They all pretty much look the same they all pretty much using the DisplayLink Software. I do not think returning and buying another product may solve the problem. I am hesitant to go this route.

It would be helpful if DisplayLink could share their findings regarding Windows 8.1 compatibility issues, if any. It will alleviate frustrations among users and unnecessary product returns.

For now, I connected my monitor directly to my laptop so I can continue to work. I just returned the docking station.

Last edited by Jay Muthukamatchi; 01-09-2014 at 03:26 PM. Reason: typo
Jay Muthukamatchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 11:33 AM   #2
brybak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Muthukamatchi View Post
For now, I connected my monitor directly to my laptop so I can continue to work. I just returned the docking station.
Well, I'm on the way to return it as well. My dell xps has no standard network slot neither VGA port, so having this docking station is essential for efficient work in the office.
brybak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 03:29 PM   #3
JBNHS

Default Crossed the Rubicon

I have the same problem at the office; returning our replicators is not an option.
JBNHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 02:08 PM   #4
justinh03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Muthukamatchi View Post
Follow-up to my pervious post regarding problem with DisplayLink v7.4 or v7.5 and Windows 8.1

After two days of troubleshooting (including following the steps described in DisplayLink support website and forum) the displaylink UI does not work.

After all the troubleshooting the "DisplayLink" does not show up in my Device Manager. It shows as "Generic Superspeed USB Hub" and the DisplayLink UI never comes up.

I see more and more community members reporting similar problems with Windows 8.1.

I looked at competitor Docking Station products. They all pretty much look the same they all pretty much using the DisplayLink Software. I do not think returning and buying another product may solve the problem. I am hesitant to go this route.

It would be helpful if DisplayLink could share their findings regarding Windows 8.1 compatibility issues, if any. It will alleviate frustrations among users and unnecessary product returns.

I've been fighting these issues since I first updated to 8.1. The USB 3.0 docking station (in my case an ASUS model connected to ASUS laptop) only shows as a generic hub and my Ethernet nor monitor work.

I've tried every driver combination and spoken with ASUS about it as well and they don't have a solution.

Sometimes if I spend an hour or more uninstalling, reinstalling, restarting, etc I'll get it to show up. But I can't spend an hour each day doing that.
justinh03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 09:15 AM   #5
Rfor

Default My description

Surface Pro, Win 8.1 (clean installation)
3005pr HP PortReplicator

From clean installation I installed HP latest drivers:

Released:2013-10-15
File name:
sp63952.exe [1/1, 35.23M]
Version7.4.50520.0

Thereafter I installed latest DisplayLink driver:

7.5 M0

Connecting a monitor on HDMI port worked and PC worked fine.

Thereafter I connected another monitor on DisplayPort (using a DP2HDMI cable).

Then both screened stopped to work.
No manner to get anything working (not even disconnecting the DP monitor).

Finally I re-installed DisplayLink driver (7.5 M0).

Then HDMI screen started to work (did not test DP).

But, at this point Wifi stopped working. (detects and connects to Wifi, but always in "Limited access").

Found no solution and am considering doing a refresh of computer.

(Actually, the reason I had a clean computer was that I just had made a refresh before. Previous that refresh I was in the same stat as now.)

Rfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 01:36 AM   #6
JamesH

Quote:
Originally Posted by brybak View Post
Well, I'm on the way to return it as well. My dell xps has no standard network slot neither VGA port, so having this docking station is essential for efficient work in the office.
Hi,

Do you have this issue on both USB ports (no both sides on the XPS)?

Thanks,
James
JamesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 01:38 AM   #7
JamesH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rfor View Post
Surface Pro, Win 8.1 (clean installation)
3005pr HP PortReplicator

From clean installation I installed HP latest drivers:

Released:2013-10-15
File name:
sp63952.exe [1/1, 35.23M]
Version7.4.50520.0

Thereafter I installed latest DisplayLink driver:

7.5 M0

Connecting a monitor on HDMI port worked and PC worked fine.

Thereafter I connected another monitor on DisplayPort (using a DP2HDMI cable).

Then both screened stopped to work.
No manner to get anything working (not even disconnecting the DP monitor).

Finally I re-installed DisplayLink driver (7.5 M0).

Then HDMI screen started to work (did not test DP).

But, at this point Wifi stopped working. (detects and connects to Wifi, but always in "Limited access").

Found no solution and am considering doing a refresh of computer.

(Actually, the reason I had a clean computer was that I just had made a refresh before. Previous that refresh I was in the same stat as now.)

Hi,

Your issue with WiFI may be related to this FAQ:
http://www.displaylink.com/support/ticket.php?id=340

Thanks,
James
JamesH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
displaylink undetected, windows 8.1