Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2022, 03:20 PM   #1
timhenn

Default Monitors go blank after closing lid

Brand new user here, not feeling great that I have to post a problem to get this new hub working correctly. I was using a different hub prior to this one where a closed-lid both displays worked fine.

2 x AOC CU32V3 32"
MacBook Pro 2019
Big Sur 11.6.1
Brand new Targus Dock180USZ

After I downloaded the driver and found the installation steps, both AOC monitors displayed correctly. I thought I was all set, so I closed the lid of my Macbook and the displays went black. Touched the keyboard and the both displays came back locked. I typed my password to login, the screens flashed the right screen for a one or two second then went blank. This series of steps repeats itself if I touch the keyboard to wake it up - both display show, I login, they go to black. Tried resetting the mac book. Same results.

Before I give up and send this back, any thoughts on what might be causing this behavior?

Thanks,
Tim
timhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 11:19 AM   #2
rboerner
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by timhenn View Post
Brand new user here, not feeling great that I have to post a problem to get this new hub working correctly. I was using a different hub prior to this one where a closed-lid both displays worked fine.

2 x AOC CU32V3 32"
MacBook Pro 2019
Big Sur 11.6.1
Brand new Targus Dock180USZ

After I downloaded the driver and found the installation steps, both AOC monitors displayed correctly. I thought I was all set, so I closed the lid of my Macbook and the displays went black. Touched the keyboard and the both displays came back locked. I typed my password to login, the screens flashed the right screen for a one or two second then went blank. This series of steps repeats itself if I touch the keyboard to wake it up - both display show, I login, they go to black. Tried resetting the mac book. Same results.

Before I give up and send this back, any thoughts on what might be causing this behavior?

Thanks,
Tim
'Closed Display Mode', also known as clam-shell mode or using the laptop with the lid closed has certain requirements when using a DisplayLink device with a Mac with an Intel processor.

The Mac must be running macOS 12 Monterey and an external power source must be connected to the Mac.

Based on your description, I suspect the fact that you have macOS 11 Bir Sur installed to be the source of the problem.
rboerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 03:17 PM   #3
timhenn

Hi, Thanks for the response. Not what I was hoping to hear but if Monterey is required for Clamshell mode, it is what it is.

Since I'm trying to solve a serious performance issue that I traced back to the last hub I was using and now confirmed this new hub exhibits the same problem albeit somewhat less it seems - I will look at upgrading to Monterey in hopes that all my problems disappear and everything just works - wish me luck, a lot of luck.

Thanks again.

Last edited by timhenn; 03-10-2022 at 03:19 PM.
Old 03-13-2022, 11:28 PM   #4
abouzeidfamily

Default Resolved for me

I just resolved this one for me. I have an M1 processor on a Macbook Air 2020. I resolved the issue by plugging into a power source.
abouzeidfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 12:04 PM   #5
timhenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by abouzeidfamily View Post
I just resolved this one for me. I have an M1 processor on a Macbook Air 2020. I resolved the issue by plugging into a power source.
Thanks for this. I do have external power plugged into my Macbook so this "fix" didn't work for me.

Took all weekend to get a complete backup done, now I will proceed to upgrade to Monterey and see if the clam-shell mode works and my dock-related-performance issues go away entirely. Will post back.