Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software

Old 04-29-2015, 10:59 AM   #1
lensv

Default Mail support

Hi!

I was in contact with your web master conserning an unanswered case (by email). Could someone please look in to [Ticket#2014090242000072]?

Mest regards,

/Lennart Svensson
lensv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 05:54 PM   #2
Carlo
Mac Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by lensv View Post
Hi!

I was in contact with your web master conserning an unanswered case (by email). Could someone please look in to [Ticket#2014090242000072]?

Mest regards,

/Lennart Svensson
Hi Lennart,

Answering here directly:
- Most screensavers won't run on DisplayLink screens because of missing HW 3D acceleration
- The 2.4b1 worked around most issues and now multiple DisplayLink screens work pretty well even on 10.9 and 10.10

Let me know if you have further questions

Regards,
Carlo
Carlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 07:49 AM   #3
lensv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlo View Post
Hi Lennart,

Answering here directly:
- Most screensavers won't run on DisplayLink screens because of missing HW 3D acceleration
- The 2.4b1 worked around most issues and now multiple DisplayLink screens work pretty well even on 10.9 and 10.10

Let me know if you have further questions

Regards,
Carlo
Nice to see that you're progressing with the multiple screens support

Concerning the screensavers... Is this an issue that came with OS X 10.9/10.10 as well? I have an older Mac at work running OS X 10.8.5 with a monitor connected to a Toshiba Dynadock. It has no problems running any of the screensavers available.
Old 04-30-2015, 09:15 AM   #4
Carlo
Mac Team

About screensavers, we have seen a gradual degradation of the SW renderer in OS X since about 10.5 so I'd expect the support to remain minimal in the future.
But who knows, maybe at WWDC 2015 Apple will unveil a new 3D SW renderer rewritten entirely in Swift with 150% better performance and full shader support.

We live in hope.

Regards,
Carlo
Old 04-30-2015, 10:04 AM   #5
lensv

Quote:
About screensavers, we have seen a gradual degradation of the SW renderer in OS X since about 10.5 so I'd expect the support to remain minimal in the future.
But who knows, maybe at WWDC 2015 Apple will unveil a new 3D SW renderer rewritten entirely in Swift with 150% better performance and full shader support.

We live in hope.

Regards,
Carlo
The problem is that not even an ordinary slideshow screensaver works on Displaylink-ready devices anymore (at least not in Yosemite).
Old 05-01-2015, 11:24 AM   #6
Carlo
Mac Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by lensv View Post
The problem is that not even an ordinary slideshow screensaver works on Displaylink-ready devices anymore (at least not in Yosemite).
Yes as far as I know these are using Quartz Composer that renders the transitions using shaders on the GPU. It appears that these functions are not provided by the SW renderer.

Carlo
Old 05-01-2015, 04:28 PM   #7
lensv

Quote:
Yes as far as I know these are using Quartz Composer that renders the transitions using shaders on the GPU. It appears that these functions are not provided by the SW renderer.

Carlo
Just a thought... Isn't it possible for Displaylink to use similar technology as VMware or Parallells do for 3D Graphics (if it's actually a 3D issue)?