Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Enabled Products > What to buy?

Old 09-13-2013, 09:47 AM   #1
Lope

Exclamation Don't buy displaylink if you use Linux!

Do some google searches on 'displaylink linux' and see how linux users have been struggling for years.

Displaylink makes working drivers for Windows and Mac ONLY.
Displaylink conceal the functioning of their devices because they're paranoid about competition, preventing linux support.
http://displaylinklinuxdriver.wordpress.com

Displaylink pretend to be Linux friendly, but they're as bad as Nvidia.

Displaylink's policy won't change until the community puts pressure on them and boycotts their products.
Bump this thread if you support Displaylink opening up information to allow for Linux support.

Its important that we come back to this forum regularly and post and post our disagreement with Displaylink's policies and get the word out (on other forums and blogs) that Displaylink is not Linux friendly as they claim to be.

Look how many people have registered just to complain about Displaylink's lack of support for us as customers, to use what we paid for.
http://www.displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1748

Last edited by Lope; 09-13-2013 at 10:26 AM.
Lope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 02:23 AM   #2
brycenesbitt

Except for the official support on Linux, I'd be using a DisplayLink device on an embedded Linux project I work on. It's a simple as that for us.
brycenesbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 09:54 AM   #3
georgebester

Unhappy All Six USB Displaylink DVI Failed One after another

I bought six displaylink adapters USB2.0 for my development desk and within 12 months every one of them failed The first two that failed were replaced by Lingage the supplier of Displaylink. I had used them with a unitek usb Ipad charger ( also ROHS complaint ) specially supplied by linqage for this job.
The rest of the 4 , including the two replacement usb devices which I used on another Computer, also failed ,I now have a bank of monitors with no way to display on them I wrote to Displaylink via their contact on their we site about this and never got a reply. The only response I got was that if I was submitting an unsolicited email idea then this idea now belonging to Displaylink - how is that for support !!! I took them back to my supplier Daniels from linkqage.co.za but they said that they could also do nothing about it besides sell me another set of six usb 3 display link adapters
After paying for the first six and having nothing to show for it I am reluctant to even consider this as they will probably fail as well
I am considering reporting Displaylink to consumer sites.
georgebester is offline   Reply With Quote