Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software

Closed Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 12:58 PM   #11
luckman212

Ditto of above post. Performance is much better with this version but I am also seeing the visual glitches a lot more. I am running 10.12.2 beta (16C60b) on a mac Mini 2012 core i7/16gb ram. I have DL3.0 beta installed from "DisplayLink Installer 77739.dmg" and my device is a "Plugable USB3-HDMI-DVI" that uses the DL3500 chipset I believe.

I am attaching a couple of pictures I took with my phone to show the artifacting. Hoping that these visual glitches can be improved...

Old 12-08-2016, 02:23 PM   #12
Unforgiven23

New user to the forum just to add feedback on the Beta drivers. Mouse latency is much MUCH better. Thank you for addressing this.

I'm experiencing the exact same artifacting as the above 2 posters so I wanted to make sure to add that feedback for your team.

I can deal with the artifacts as a trade off for the mouse latency being better. It's a huge help in my workflow that's for sure!
Old 12-08-2016, 06:42 PM   #13
brianstanfill

Thumbs up Stability is improving. Yay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlo View Post
How is it working for you?
Display Link driver v3.0 beta 1 stability compared to v2.6 is much improved running on macOS Sierra. On v2.6, my extended displays would become unresponsive and only a reboot would restore functionality. Something as simple as moving windows around the displays would crash the driver and require a reboot. This hasn't happened nearly as often with v3.0 beta 1.

Thanks for the continued development!
Old 12-09-2016, 12:06 AM   #14
jared52

Used the beta drivers for the first one today on OSX 10.12.2 beta 5 and they worked quite well. Granted I really only use that monitor for iTerm to ssh to Linux servers, but I did drag winded around in it and it worked well. I didn't notice any issues with the Windows being black when dragging them to the DisplayLink monitor. So for me, it's been good overall.
Old 12-09-2016, 11:16 AM   #15
Lasse S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasse S View Post
I've been using a Dell D3100 on a MacBook Air (early 2014) for about two weeks. I have three Dell U2515H displays hooked up at 2560x1440. One is connected directly to the Thunderbolt 2 port and the others to the dock (DisplayPort and HDMI - unfortunately I'm only getting 50Hz on the HDMI).
With 2.6 on Sierra I was quite disappointed and even considered going back to my Lenovo PC, but with 3.0b1 I have my hopes up! Performance is considerably better, although I still find it unacceptable in the long run.
"WindowServer" and "DisplayLinkManager" are still hogging my CPU, mouse movement is laggy and the display I use for coding in Sublime Text also lags. I find myself moving important windows to the TB display where performance is excellent.

I haven't had any crashes, but I see the occasional black windows and other graphical glitches. That doesn't bother me that much though - performance is the most important.

I have enabled "Reduce motion" and "Reduce transparency". Is there anything else that can optimize performance?

That's just my 2 cents - let me know if I can contribute in any other way!
I have attached a screenshot of CPU usage from Activity Monitor when using Safari on one of my DisplayLink connected displays. MacBook has been powered on for 2 hours, so quite a bit of CPU time used.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Activity Monitor.jpg (9.8 KB, 3 views)
Old 12-09-2016, 08:28 PM   #16
phrogg

Default 3.0 b1 experience

So I actually just received my first DisplayLink device yesterday and I'm actually starting off with the 3.0b1 drivers as my very first experience with the product. So I cannot compare to using something previous.

But I can give a comparison of using my 4K monitor on a MacBook 2015 (10.12.1) either directly on the machine or through the DL adapter. I've simply just moved the cable over to the new device and will bring my other monitor and connect both next week.

The first thing I noticed is that when I close the lid on my Macbook that it doesn't reset the display preferences to delete that monitor from the config. It still exists in my monitors and I can put windows there or get my mouse lost on that screen. Not sure if that's an intentional design of the way the driver works, but its different from using the AV adapter.

Second there is a little bit of lag on the DL but not that much. However, I do seem to be running about 10% CPU higher than I was before. There was usually a little bit of background stuff always going on but its made a 10%+ jump. Looking in top it seems that the DIsplayLinkManager is keeping about 10% of my cpu occupied all the time now. I think I can probably live with that in order to have both of my 4K displays at the same time.

Third, the mouse seems a bit laggy specifically on tap-presses. When I go to click on another email message or something I find that I have to either click on the message or hold on the trackpad just a little longer than usual. I'm not sure how that is connected into the DL driver but its something I noticed today.

Overall, I'm pretty impressed in the whole technology and stoked to get both my 4K monitors (and potentially a couple of my 2560x1600 monitors) hooked up to my little Macbook ;-).

Phrogg
Old 12-09-2016, 11:27 PM   #17
rboerner
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by phrogg View Post

The first thing I noticed is that when I close the lid on my Macbook that it doesn't reset the display preferences to delete that monitor from the config. It still exists in my monitors and I can put windows there or get my mouse lost on that screen. Not sure if that's an intentional design of the way the driver works, but its different from using the AV adapter.

Phrogg
In regard to clamshell mode not working as you expect, Apple has very specific requirements in order to make this mode work -> https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201834

In short, with only a USB attached DisplayLink-based adapter connected the above conditions will not be met, so clamshell mode will not work.
Old 12-12-2016, 05:17 PM   #18
phrogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboerner View Post
In regard to clamshell mode not working as you expect, Apple has very specific requirements in order to make this mode work -> https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201834

In short, with only a USB attached DisplayLink-based adapter connected the above conditions will not be met, so clamshell mode will not work.
Well I didn't know that. Learned something new today. I plugged in my second 4K display and now clamshell mode works fine. I'm going to spend the next week or so running with both displays and clamshell and report back. Hoping that 10.12.2 actually releases soon as well.

Phrogg
Old 12-12-2016, 07:55 PM   #19
phrogg

Default Artifacts

I am noticing that there is a little artifact being left in the search boxes on my DL monitor that aren't in the non-DL monitor. Even trying to capture it in a screen grab doesn't quite show it since it comes and goes as you move the crosshairs over it. But I see this in every search box and sometime in others like the new invitations box of Calendar.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2016-12-12 at 1.53.18 PM.jpg (3.4 KB, 1 views)
File Type: png Screen Shot 2016-12-12 at 1.55.25 PM.png (5.9 KB, 1 views)
Old 12-13-2016, 07:38 PM   #20
phrogg

Default Further reports

Ok, another day, another report for you.

Yesterday I had to finally just stop using the DL attached monitor. Every now and then (maybe every 30 minutes or so) both of my screens would black momentarily and then reset and come back on. But when they did this, they dropped all of the windows off the DL screen back to the onboard monitor. I finally got fed up and just stopped using the other screen for anything I was working on. But it did continue to happen throughout the day. I'd put one finder window there and then sometime within the next 30-45 minutes it would blip and then that window would move over.

Today, however, is a new day with 10.12.2 downloaded and installed. At this point, it seems to have been working pretty stable most of the day. I have not seen that same issue where it blanks and resets at all today.

I do still have the artifacts in the search boxes as reported earlier. I can actually take a window and span it across both screens and when I get to about 60% on the DL screen the artifact (even if on the non-DL screen) appears.

New issue is that I'm seeing the windows losing little pieces of their display and showing artifacts as I drag my mouse across them like luckman212 reported back on 12/8. However, performance seems pretty nice on this. I can tell the difference between the DL and the non-DL monitors but its really not terribly different now in speed and responsiveness. It is quite usable and I'm forcing myself to actually put windows on the DL screen and use them for the sake of these reports and getting the driver to be all it can be ;-).
Closed Thread