Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software

Old 02-02-2012, 09:16 PM   #21
falcom

Default same here, deleting files doesn't help

I have two rotated displays and have the same issue as others after having upgraded to 10.7.3. I've tried deleting the files:

sudo rm -f /Library/Preferences/com.apple.window*
rm -f /Users/"USERNAME"/Library/Preferences/ByHost/com.apple.window*

and restarting, and still have the same issue. I've also tried this in conjunction with reinstalling the display link software but still no go. While waiting for the bug fix it would be great to at least get things working in non-rotated mode if there is some other suggestion as to how to do this.

thanks,

Mark
falcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 12:58 AM   #22
Sofiaan

Are there any updates on this issue's resolution? I have been staring at a blank screen all day.
Sofiaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 02:03 AM   #23
philip

Not to sound harsh... but it seems like the DisplayLink for Mac team doesn't have a developer's build to test on and will only know once the build is live...

Is this true or is that too personal? I don't mean it to be, I'm sure a fix will be coming as soon as possible.

Keep on Truckin'!
philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 02:15 AM   #24
Mac L

Default Exact Same Issue on MBP 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7

Wow, I am really re-thinking this whole DisplayLink thing. Can't work like this.
Mac L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 03:56 AM   #25
rickbdotcom

Quote:
Originally Posted by philip View Post
Not to sound harsh... but it seems like the DisplayLink for Mac team doesn't have a developer's build to test on and will only know once the build is live...

Is this true or is that too personal? I don't mean it to be, I'm sure a fix will be coming as soon as possible.
Yeah honestly I was thinking the same thing, but was keeping it to myself since that's not really helpful. Maybe they had a dev seed but didn't think to test on a rotatable monitor or have one that reproduced the bug. I remember fixing a bug one time that involved a game being flipped upside on certain videos cards and had no idea until I happened to get a configuration that would replicate it and figure out what was going on. Programming is complicated especially when it's low level and depends on the vagaries of the OS maker. Sounds like they're on the ball now though.

If I had happened to have been running a dev seed I could have let them know about it earlier, but I tend to stay away from OS betas since I don't have the time to test the OS for Apple.
rickbdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 08:17 AM   #26
Carlo
Mac Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickbdotcom View Post
Yeah honestly I was thinking the same thing, but was keeping it to myself since that's not really helpful. Maybe they had a dev seed but didn't think to test on a rotatable monitor or have one that reproduced the bug. I remember fixing a bug one time that involved a game being flipped upside on certain videos cards and had no idea until I happened to get a configuration that would replicate it and figure out what was going on. Programming is complicated especially when it's low level and depends on the vagaries of the OS maker. Sounds like they're on the ball now though.

If I had happened to have been running a dev seed I could have let them know about it earlier, but I tend to stay away from OS betas since I don't have the time to test the OS for Apple.
This is very close to what happened, good insight.
But first things first: please continue to keep the feedback coming, even criticism. We make Mac drivers for Mac users and are Mac users ourselves: we know what is the expected user experience.

We don't test thoroughly every developer drop but we do try them, the level of testing depends on the perceived risk in the update. It would be great to have a decent change log with the OS updates from Apple but we live on Earth in 2012 so that's not possible.

In the meanwhile my rotated screen is black: have to fix this issue quickly! Hopefully it will be possible, it's likely that Apple does not test much with rotation now that they have removed the option from the standard interface and don't sell any displays that can be rotated.
Carlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 02:57 PM   #27
nejec

Default same here

Just updated MBP13(2010) to 10.7.3 and connecting two displaylink adapters just makes default screen + external LCD blue and stays so for ages.

Here is what I found:
- unplugging USB displaylink adapter does NOT fix the issue and external LCD and MBP monitor stay blue. Unplugging external LCD fix the issue blue screen issue, not the displaylink issue.
- reinstalling drivers do not fix the issue
- removing files (sudo rm, etc.) does not fix the issue
- applying combo update to 10.7.3 does not fix the issue

I am pretty much stuck with one external monitor now (although I usually use 3: 2 on displaylink adapters and 1 on mini DisplayPort)

Any additional hints?
nejec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 04:33 PM   #28
Sofiaan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlo View Post
This is very close to what happened, good insight.
But first things first: please continue to keep the feedback coming, even criticism. We make Mac drivers for Mac users and are Mac users ourselves: we know what is the expected user experience.

We don't test thoroughly every developer drop but we do try them, the level of testing depends on the perceived risk in the update. It would be great to have a decent change log with the OS updates from Apple but we live on Earth in 2012 so that's not possible.

In the meanwhile my rotated screen is black: have to fix this issue quickly! Hopefully it will be possible, it's likely that Apple does not test much with rotation now that they have removed the option from the standard interface and don't sell any displays that can be rotated.
It's too bad you didn't test on your rotated display but thank you for looking at it now. Some more detailed information for you if it helps: I have a "pluggable" brand at home connected to a DELL 2005FPW. The amazon description of the displaylink card is "Plugable UGA-2K-A USB 2.0 to VGA/DVI/HDMI Adapter for Multiple Monitors up to 2048x1152 / 1920x1200 Each (DisplayLink DL-195 Chipset)". Sorry, I left it at home so I don't have the part number. However, that one works in standard/landscape mode on the dell display running at 1050x1680. I can even switch to rotate mode, without the other screens getting stuck blue, but the displaylink display shows some weird patterns which looks like a corrupted signal on the screen and the list of resolutions are completely blank in the display preference options (when rotated). When I rotate back to standard mode, I see the resolutions again and I have a working display in standard/landscape mode.

However, my NEC LCD2070 display at the office, doesn't work in any mode, but I am using a different displaylink device. I can't get past the blue screens but my keyboard is probably working, only if there was something I could type into terminal to fix it while it was like that. I thought blue screens only happened with Microsoft . That display was running at 1200x1600 with the aforementioned device by Encore Electronics "ENMUV rev 2". Oh, and I can connected the ENMUV to my mac without any display plugged into the dvi connector, and it doesn't cause the stuck blue screens. Plugging the DVI connector in afterwards triggers a display detection, then the encore LED turns off - looks like it died and doesn't come back. Plugging and unplugging the DVI connector after that has no effect. I have already uploaded my log files, but I can do some more stuff if it helps. Please let me know!

Last edited by Sofiaan; 02-03-2012 at 05:11 PM.
Sofiaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 07:33 PM   #29
rmhayler

Have a DELL2408 in portrait mode and same problem after upgrading to 10.7.3.

Tried all the suggestions in this forum but nothing works. Have uninstalled the driver and now waiting for someone to release an update or suggest a workaround.

Pretty gutted as I literally just bought my DisplayLink less than a week ago and have been loving the experience of having two additional monitors attached to my mid 2010 27" iMac.
rmhayler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 07:54 PM   #30
rickbdotcom

Some people seem to be having issues with the 10.7.3 delta update. Has anyone tried the combo update to see if that makes any difference?
rickbdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1.7, 10.7.3, bvu195, diamond, lion