Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software

Old 10-09-2012, 11:37 PM   #11
cmwade77

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkirker View Post
I'm curious if you noticed performance improvements going to USB 3.0?

Thanks for the reply,
John
Not really, but I had no complaints with my USB 2.0 device either, except the login issues, which then cause all of the other issues. I have even done some video editing on both devices, they both work fairly well. All in all, I would say the DisplayLink works slightly better (faster) than the J5Create when it works, the problem is the when it works portion. At least with the J5Create device, it works all of the time, without fail.

FWI, the DisplayLink device is Pluggable Model UGA-2K-A and I have also worked with Revit and AutoCAD on it, all works just fine.

One thing I do like about the J5Create device is that it is a dock and will also work as a Keyboard and Mouse switch (something I use frequently, as I am the IT Manager at my company).
cmwade77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:22 PM   #12
claywd

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmwade77 View Post
J5Create has Mac USB 3.0 drivers and they even have Mountain Lion compatible ones on their facebook page, so it can be done, DisplayLink just needs to do it.
Yeah for real, I just talked to Sabrent support and they said there aren't even beta's for mac... sounds like it just isn't getting done.

Can we get some support here?
claywd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:46 PM   #13
cmwade77

Quote:
Originally Posted by claywd View Post
Yeah for real, I just talked to Sabrent support and they said there aren't even beta's for mac... sounds like it just isn't getting done.

Can we get some support here?
Unfortunately, the problem isn't Sabrent or any other manufacturer, the problem is DisplayLink is not getting the drivers out. Between this and not running on Windows 8, it seems to me that they truly don't care about supporting the latest OSes. Both work fine with J5Create's devices (which use MCT chips). So I honestly cannot recommend anything with a DisplayLink chip in it, nor will I probably be able to do so in the future due to the lack of support. This is truly a shame, as I have found Plugable (who uses DisplayLink chips) to be a great and responsive company, I just wish their chip provider was equally responsive.

Last edited by cmwade77; 10-10-2012 at 05:49 PM.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:31 AM   #14
jkirker

Bummer... Oh well, off to the store I go - to play and test...
jkirker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:20 PM   #15
cmwade77

Quote:
Bummer... Oh well, off to the store I go - to play and test...
The problem is trying to find a store that carries these devices. I find myself ordering from Amazon, because they have a good return policy.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:03 AM   #16
jkirker

Picked up two J5Create JUA350's... Not happy yet... Maybe their support will be able to help tomorrow.

But unplugged my DisplayLink boxes, installed the J5 drivers (BTW - they are unsigned so you've gotta open your computer to potential security threats temporarily - no big deal but an extra hassle)...

Rebooted, screen just flashed and flashed and flashed.

Unplugged by J5 and things went back to normal.

Replugged and it recognized the device, but the screen was blank.

Tested multiple monitors and multiple cables.

Perhaps it's my Retina MBP - dunno... We'll see tomorrow.

I'm just hoping to nerd out and drop all my USB 2 stuff (displaylink boxes are all that's left).

Oh well... More to come.

Perhaps DL will give us some good news....SOON

PS. Then proceeded to uninstall the drivers - no go... System reports them to be corrupt. Strange.

Last edited by jkirker; 10-12-2012 at 12:14 AM.
Old 10-17-2012, 02:33 PM   #17
Casshern

Default I have one of the new devices!

I have one of the new devices - unfortunately it does not work with the Apple Cinema Display. See this thread:

http://www.displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1966

It is highly likely that the devices show the same behaviour with the mac driver. We need displaylink to fix this!
Casshern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 05:31 PM   #18
cmwade77

Quote:
Picked up two J5Create JUA350's... Not happy yet... Maybe their support will be able to help tomorrow.

But unplugged my DisplayLink boxes, installed the J5 drivers (BTW - they are unsigned so you've gotta open your computer to potential security threats temporarily - no big deal but an extra hassle)...

Rebooted, screen just flashed and flashed and flashed.

Unplugged by J5 and things went back to normal.

Replugged and it recognized the device, but the screen was blank.

Tested multiple monitors and multiple cables.

Perhaps it's my Retina MBP - dunno... We'll see tomorrow.

I'm just hoping to nerd out and drop all my USB 2 stuff (displaylink boxes are all that's left).

Oh well... More to come.

Perhaps DL will give us some good news....SOON

PS. Then proceeded to uninstall the drivers - no go... System reports them to be corrupt. Strange.
Did you make sure you downloaded the Mountain Lion drivers from their Facebook page (as mentioned earlier)? The ones on their website are older and do not work properly with Mountain Lion. There are also special instructions needed to remove the incorrect drivers on their Facebook page, there are a few extra steps needed for theirs.

As for the Cinema Display, I don't know, as I will not pay that kind of money for a monitor with a few extra ports.
Old 10-25-2012, 02:03 AM   #19
displaylinker

I am also waiting for DisplayLink to put their act together to release a ML driver, but in the meantime, would the J5Create JUA350 driver co-exist with DisplayLink driver and hardware?

Can I use the J5Create device and DisplayLink device at the same time on the same computer?
displaylinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:09 PM   #20
jkirker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmwade77 View Post
Did you make sure you downloaded the Mountain Lion drivers from their Facebook page (as mentioned earlier)? The ones on their website are older and do not work properly with Mountain Lion. There are also special instructions needed to remove the incorrect drivers on their Facebook page, there are a few extra steps needed for theirs.

As for the Cinema Display, I don't know, as I will not pay that kind of money for a monitor with a few extra ports.
I was working directly with their tech support getting refreshed drivers before they went live. Nothing would work. Really sucked because I wasted about 4 hours of my time and because there was no real uninstall (that wasn't corrupt) I had to reinstall Mountain Lion to unhook. They also didn't sign their drivers so you had to open your OS to potential security issues.

I really like what they are trying to do, but unfortunately, I can't afford to be their beta tester.

Tags
mac, usb3 displaylink