Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > Alpha, Beta Software Testing Programs > Closed Alpha and Beta Programs > CLOSED - 8.1 Alpha for Windows

Old 11-04-2016, 12:34 PM   #1
rbm

Default Feedback to 8.1 Alpha under Windows 10 Build 1607

Hi,

first let me thank you for providing an early release of the new DisplayLink Drivers. I´m using the Kensington SD3500V Dual with 2 external Monitors on a Microsoft Surface Pro 3 and I was one of those who experienced massive mouse lag under different circumstances on the external Monitors.

I installed 8.1 Alpha this morning, which seem to be focused primarily on the mouse lag issue.

The install procedure itself ran smooth. No issues here. After the installation, I got exactly what was mentioned in your announcement: It took around 30 seconds until the external Monitors showed a picture again. Unfortunately the picture was not clear. It consisted primarily of black and white and made me remember the picture on old TVs when the antenna signal was sub par. I could barely make out what a window was and what not. So I went to my Surface Screen, opened the control panel and disconnected both external monitors. I did a reboot and expanded my desktop again to all 3 Monitors and the issue was not present anymore. So it was either the reboot or the action in control panel where I disconnected / expanded the desktop. I should have tested that separately.

I´m using the Alpha driver now since a few hours and the mouse movement is much, much better. I might still need a few more days testing to say it´s gone for sure, but all the work I did this morning up to now felt really good!

A few minutes ago it seemed like the driver crashed. I heard my surface fans starting to work, watched in Task Manager and I had seen some high CPU utilization in the wudfhost.exe process. Seconds after that both external screens went blank, it took a few more seconds and they came back. In that time also the Network connection was gone. But it´s back to normal now. So I think the driver crashed.
To help you identifying the cause of such crashes / problems: Is there a log file the drivers generate which I can send you maybe?

So far I´m impressed and I´m glad to be able to get my hands on the Alpha version for testing :-)
Old 11-07-2016, 04:00 PM   #2
rbm

Is there a way to give you information regarding driver crashes (Log files, event log entries...)? Or is this something you are aware already in this Alpha release and don´t need any information from testers?
Old 11-08-2016, 02:04 PM   #3
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Thanks for taking the time to use the 8.1 Alpha and report on it.

We have a Customer Support Tool which will collect the crash minidumps. They include the calling stack. From its analysis, we can see if it's a bug I've already scheduled or if you uncovered a new one.
The last link in my signature shows how to use the tool. Simply reply to this post attaching the zip created by the tool: only DisplayLink employees have access to downloading these.

Where to download the latest DisplayLink drivers
How to clean up a corrupted installation
How to report issues to DisplayLink for a speedy resolution
Old 11-08-2016, 02:10 PM   #4
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbm View Post

1. After the installation, I got exactly what was mentioned in your announcement: It took around 30 seconds until the external Monitors showed a picture again.

2. Unfortunately the picture was not clear. It consisted primarily of black and white and made me remember the picture on old TVs when the antenna signal was sub par. I could barely make out what a window was and what not. So I went to my Surface Screen, opened the control panel and disconnected both external monitors. I did a reboot and expanded my desktop again to all 3 Monitors and the issue was not present anymore. So it was either the reboot or the action in control panel where I disconnected / expanded the desktop. I should have tested that separately.
I forgot to reply to the items!
1. Yes indeed. This will be fixed in the release. It was fixed the day after we did the Alpha! A time out was a bit too long so it was shorten to a more acceptable value.

2. I think this was probably because the monitor was not properly identified and you defaulted to a funky resolution. That default resolution works in most cases but because it was not the native one, the text usually looks out of focus. If there are some issues like that, a monitor replug would be enough as it will force the adapter to read the monitor identification again. A USB replug would work too.

Again thank you for the feedback!

Old 11-08-2016, 03:40 PM   #5
rbm

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbanRampon View Post
[...]Simply reply to this post attaching the zip created by the tool: only DisplayLink employees have access to downloading these.
Thanks for your reply. Surprisingly the connection was very stable today (despite having 3 driver crashes, but no bluescreens yesterday). I attached the ZIP anyway, just in case information from yesterday is also included.

As soon as I experience another driver crash, I´ll create a new one. I hope it helps.

And so far I can tell you that using the mouse is fun again. Good job with that!
Attached Files
File Type: zip RV-0007_20161108_163515.zip (1.67 MB, 1781 views)
Old 11-08-2016, 04:24 PM   #6
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Thank you, I only see one crash from WUDF (Windows USB Host USB).
I've queued it for analysis.

In the meantime, I can recommend you upgrade your Intel graphics drivers.
My department is using the Surface Pro 3 and the Intel graphics driver from last year is not spotless at handling the Windows 10 RS1 builds.

Here is the driver for you to install. Do download the ZIP version, **not** the EXE.
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/dow...?product=81495

Here is how you should install it through Device Manager.

After the installation, the entry in Device Manager for Intel HD Graphics 5000 should say version 20.19.15.4501

Old 11-09-2016, 02:57 PM   #7
rbm

Hello,

I tried to update the Drivers, but my Surface Pro 3 seems to be a special Snowflake. I used the ZIP and tried to install the manually via Device Manager. But Windows is sure I have the current driver already. Using the .exe, the Installer tells me the Driver is not for my device (although my CPU is listed on Intels Download page). I even uninstalled the Graphics Driver (complete with the "remove driver" checkbox) and after a reboot I still have the old driver again. But that should not be of your concern. I just wanted to tell you that I was not able to upgrade the graphics driver yet.

I had another crash today, but since I enabled the "Advanced DisplayLink Logging", the ZIP file is now 500 MB, which is probably a bit too much for uploading it there. I switched the Advanced DisplayLink Logging off and will generate a new one maybe tomorrow or whenever it happens again.

I´ll keep my eyes open on the new Driver Package for my graphics Drivers in the meantime.
Old 11-09-2016, 03:33 PM   #8
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Hello RBM,

So... The way the Intel graphics driver package works is that it checks if you have a vanilla computer or a special one. That's why you can almost never install these on the Dell computers as unless Dell has said Yes, then the installer simply refuses claiming incompatibility. That's why Intel did their webpage doing the manual change.

When you reboot, Windows will either fetch the driver from the driver store, or from Windows Update (WU). You can't forbid the installation of device drivers from WU in a standard Windows 10 installation.

The last 4 digits are the version of the driver. The first ones are about the capability of the driver (which WDDM, DirectX, branch). So, if your first one is 21 it means it supports WDDM 2.1... It means, only compare the last 4 numbers to check what is installed. Alternatively, if you look at or post the system_details.txt from our logs, it will state the version in use.

I would recommend disabling the advanced DisplayLink logging. It captures much more stuff, and doesn't do a rolling log files. It's nice when the issue can take a while to appear but the increased number of hard drive access has an effect on performance, and on the footprint of these logs... This is only useful in very particular conditions like debugging. We use the same tool (with more options) internally with machines running tests all year round so having the verbose option can be interesting when there is no error.

Can you check if you've got any WudfHost_*.dmp with a timestamp matching the time of the observed crash? They may be in C:\CrashDumps, or C:\Windows\Minidump.
They compress very well.

Then, you can do the logs reset in the tool, it will free your drive.

Old 11-09-2016, 03:46 PM   #9
rbm

Yes, the automatic download and installation of the driver is probably what happened after I removed it completely and did a reboot (which took longer as usual then). Since the manual upgrade (I did it exactly as Intel described it in your link) is not allowed by Windows too, I think I´m locked in to the 20.19.15.4331 version from September 2015 for now. Microsoft releases new Driver Packages for the Surface from time to time, so maybe I get lucky soon with the next release.

I found a WudfHost*.dmp in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\WDF from today, which I attached for you. I hope this is the right one.
I turned off Advanced Logging, so next time I can provide a ZIP again. I´ll keep my eyes open for new GPU drivers in the meantime.
Attached Files
File Type: zip WudfHost_ext__2008.zip (38.9 KB, 1503 views)
Old 11-09-2016, 04:18 PM   #10
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Hi RBM,

Windows can't block the manual one. I use the SP3 myself (great product I think).
The file to download is called win64_154028.4501.zip
Then, in Device Manager, Update Driver, Browse, Let me pick, Have disk..., select igdlh64.inf, OK. It should stay "Installing driver software...". Your Surface tablet will blink and DisplayLink freeze (as we don't compute any pixels but get them from the graphics card you just pulled the rug under from) and then everything should work... should.

I analysed the dump. It shows the bug we know about and I set as a blocker for the release.

Cheers,
Alban

My ref SwapChainTimeoutDriverDidNotReleaseFrame