Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software

Old 06-09-2015, 04:30 PM   #1
dispnev

Default 2.4b2 Forgets Display Positions

I was stuck on Mountain Lion because of Displaylink. Finally, I couldn't wait anymore, and upgraded Mountain Lion to Yosemite and Displaylink 2.4b1. While it was working okay, my Mac would just shut off a few times per week. POOF, rebooting. I looked in the log and it appears it's with 'window server', which points me to probably Displaylink.

I put up with it for a month. I frequently checked this site for new drivers and found the new one yesterday -- 2.4b2. I installed it, hoping it might help. Now, however, every time I reboot I have to re-position the monitors. I guess it's better than just randomly shutting the Mac off, but I don't know if the shut off problem is even fixed in 2.4b2.

So, while I'm still trying out beta2, is there a way to put the monitor positions back to where I had them without opening Preferences>>Displays>> and dragging them back to where they belong?

Is there some way to put it in a script?
Like:
set monitor1 3434, 0, 1920x1200, portrait
etc.

Then I could just double-click it every morning. That wouldn't be horrible.

If it matters, I have a Macbook pro, yosemite, a 30-inch on displayport, and 2x 24-inch monitors (one portrait, one landscape) on displaylink adapters, for a total of 4 monitors.

Last edited by dispnev; 06-09-2015 at 04:35 PM.
dispnev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 04:45 PM   #2
dispnev

So I'm not the only one with this problem, but according to the version notes it should no longer be a problem in 2.4b2. But it *is* still a problem for me.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Issues fixed since version 2.3
------------------------------
Workarounds for some long standing issues on OS X 10.9 and later:
- Display arrangement is not kept when using 2 or more DisplayLink displays. (16112)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by dispnev; 06-09-2015 at 05:01 PM.
Old 06-10-2015, 04:38 PM   #3
dispnev

I have to go to preferences and drag them around after every reboot.

Carlo, can you share the 'workaround' for the display arrangements?
Old 06-10-2015, 05:21 PM   #4
dispnev

So, I've been experimenting.

Apparently, OSX stores an arrangement for every combination of displays you have connected, and if OSX detects that you have monitors A, B, C connected, it will apply the ABC arrangement. If you add a monitor, say D, it will look for an arrangement setting for ABCD.

Apparently, what is happening on my system, and maybe everyone with this trouble, is that OSX is seeing a new Displaylink monitor or monitors, but is not getting the ID of the new monitor, so OSX just arranges them how it sees fit.

If I unplug one of my monitors, and replug it, my desired monitor arrangement comes back.

Why didn't it apply the saved arrangement when it boots? Apparently, it's getting the monitor IDs from Displaylink too late.

My guess is that simply delaying the connection of the DisplayLink monitors until the IDs are ready to give to OSX, could fix the problem. Or even just delay the whole process x (configurable) seconds.

I have an SSD, so parts of boot up may be way ahead of the USB devices. I wonder if booting on the old spinner might eliminate the problem too? I've spent too much time on this already to do that experiment though.
Old 06-11-2015, 09:10 AM   #5
Carlo
Mac Team

Hi dispnev,

With the 2.4 workaround you should not be seeing the OS X bug that mixes up the monitors.
But there may be other reasons for a lost layout. For example problems in reading reliably the monitor's EDID or simply a bug in our SW.

Can you send to us the logs collected just after a wrong layout has come up?

The log tool is at http://www.displaylink.com/support/ticket.php?id=269
You can attach the logs here or send them through http://www.displaylink.com/support/ask_question.php

Thank you,
Carlo

Last edited by Carlo; 06-11-2015 at 09:11 AM. Reason: Clarify
Carlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 07:25 PM   #6
hitmusic100

Default Yosemite forgets display arrangement after reboot

thank you so much dispnev and Carlo

I am having precisely the same problem with Yosemite forgetting my display arrangement after reboot . I have 3 monitors plus my MacBookPro inbuilt monitor. Am using this:

http://www.displaylink.com/shop/hot_...php#dell-d3100

Am using the latest Yosemite and Displaylink 2.4b1.

Please correct -I am wasting so much time arranging displays

Carlo - pls let me know what you need from me - thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2015-06-12 19.23.08.jpg (91.0 KB, 2 views)
hitmusic100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 02:27 AM   #7
hitmusic100

log attached (am using 3 displays as per photo: error occurs when switching from Lenovo T530 laptop to MacBookPro early 2011)
Attached Files
File Type: zip MBPDU_20150614_021637.zip (3.80 MB, 3 views)
Old 06-17-2015, 04:15 PM   #8
ChristianP

Hi hitmusic100,
unfortunately the logs don't show anything wrong. Screen seems correctly mapped to the same screen indexes/IDs.
Could you please try to reset display preferences running the following commands in a Terminal:

sudo rm -f /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver.plist
sudo rm -f /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver.plist.*
sudo rm -f /Library/Preferences/com.displaylink.plist
sudo rm -f /Library/Preferences/com.displaylink.plist.*
sudo rm -f /Library/Preferences/.GlobalPreferences.plist
sudo rm -f /Library/Preferences/.GlobalPreferences.plist.*
sudo rm -f /private/var/db/.com.apple.iokit.graphics
sudo rm -f /private/var/db/.com.apple.iokit.graphics.*

sudo rm -f ~/Library/Preferences/ByHost/com.apple.windowserver.*.plist
sudo rm -f ~/Library/Preferences/ByHost/com.apple.windowserver.*.plist.*
sudo rm -f ~/Library/Preferences/.GlobalPreferences.plist
sudo rm -f ~/Library/Preferences/.GlobalPreferences.plist.*
sudo rm -rf ~/Library/Preferences/Caches

Some files may not exist on your system.

After removing the files, reboot the machine and then connect the DisplayLink screens again, setting the desired layout. Grab the ~/Library/Preferences/ByHost/com.apple.windowserver.*.plist file.

Try to repro the issue (switching from the Lenovo laptop) and if the layout is not correct please grab again the ~/Library/Preferences/ByHost/com.apple.windowserver.*.plist file. I'd like to check the difference in your display preferences before and after the issue.

Since your problem happens after switching from the Lenovo laptop , which driver version are you using on that machine? The problem could be triggered by the firmware upgrade (though it's not a known problem).
Thanks!
ChristianP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 04:49 PM   #9
hitmusic100

Thank you so much Christian for your help. I am using driver DisplayLink_7.7M4.exe on the Lenovo. (I had problems with the recent DisplayLink_7.8M0.exe driver). I will follow your instructions and reply - thanks again and regards, Darren

Last edited by hitmusic100; 06-18-2015 at 05:04 PM.
Old 07-11-2015, 07:33 PM   #10
dispnev

Let me add that I have found that simply unplugging the USB of one of the displaylink monitors for a few seconds and plugging it back in sets everything back to the proper layout.

It appears that OSX remembers the layout you set based on the combination of monitors you have connected. If you have four monitors, ABCD, and lay them out, then unplug D, OSX will look for a saved layout for ABC, which is unrelated to the layout for ABCD. If you have only A and B connected, OSX will look for a monitor layout pattern defined for AB.

Understanding that, this is what I did. I unplugged the displaylink monitors, leaving the other 2. I set a monitor layout. I plugged in displaylink C and set a layout for ABC. I unplugged C and plugged in D and set a monitor layout for ABD. I plugged in C and set a monitor layout for ABCD.

My idea was that as the displaylink monitors are waking up, or getting detected, that it's either too fast for OSX, and it's still laying out AB, or ABC, or ABD, when it gets hit with the ABCD combo; or the monitor ID is changing as the monitor wakes up (from some generic name to the actual name).

In any case, and I'm not exactly sure why, doing this seems to have fixed it 90% of the time, and the other 10%, when the display is screwed up, I just unplug one of the displaylink monitors for a few seconds.

edit- let me add that it seems that the only time the monitors get screwed up anymore, is if I have booted the laptop away from my desk. If I boot at home and use my laptop as a laptop, then go back to work and plug it in and boot, it will probably be screwed up, and I'll have to unplug one of the DL monitors for a few seconds to get it back. I *THINK* that's when it happens.

Last edited by dispnev; 07-11-2015 at 07:38 PM.