Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software

Old 01-28-2022, 10:30 PM   #1
solo-act

Default Screen record permission does not "stick"

In clamshell mode, after logging out, I can wake the clamshelled laptop and external screens turn on to log in (which means the login screen extension is working).

However, after I log in, the screen recording permission that was working perfectly fine, stops working, the screens go black, and I have to open the laptop and re-approve screen record permission. Every fix I can think of does not work.

This is repeatable on Monterey 12.1, intel MacBook Pro 16", with latest 1.6 non-beta software with login screen extension installed, with automatic graphics switching UNCHECKED in system preferences "battery" section, with laptop in clamshell mode, and with 2 external displays connected.

This happens not matter what I do:
I can remove the permission, uninstall DL completely, down load DL, reinstall, add the permission, install the login screen extension, and reboot computer and dock. And I can uncheck and re-check the screen record permission hoping it "sticks" eventually -- it does not.

Process to repeat steps:
Scenario 1:
logout, sleep computer, wake computer, screens wake, login, screens go black, screen record permission is lost, a chime/alert comes from laptop, and when laptop opens alert says permission to screen record needs to be granted. Uncheck and re-check permission (with app quit and restart each time). External displays work until above steps repeated.

Scenario 2:
logout, an hour or two passes, wake up screen, login, external displays go black, screen record permission no longer works, a chime/alert comes from laptop, and when laptop opens alert says permission for screen record needs to be granted. Uncheck and re-check permission (with app quit and restart each time). External displays work until above steps repeated.

Sometimes after the screens go black, I can recycle power on the dock, type a bunch of keys as it boots, and screens come on and permission is somehow sticks again.

This permission not sticking is a real hassle...ANY IDEAS/SOLUTIONS?
solo-act is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 02:28 PM   #2
solo-act

Bumping - is anyone having this problem? Are DisplayLink people watching and responding?
Old 02-03-2022, 03:45 PM   #3
solo-act

Bumping - is anyone having this problem? Are DisplayLink people monitoring this forum regularly?
Old 02-04-2022, 05:31 PM   #4
solo-act

I'm going to keep bumping this until a DisplayLink person or person with knowledge on this can chime in.
Old 02-06-2022, 02:46 PM   #5
solo-act

I'm going to keep bumping this until a DisplayLink person or person with knowledge on this can chime in.
Old 02-08-2022, 01:31 PM   #6
KatarzynaCzaja
DisplayLink Tech Support

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out.

Unfortunately as this is not an expected or known behavior I will need a little bit more information about your setup.
Can you please describe in detail how your monitors and dock are connected? What ports are used etc.?

Also I'd appreciate if you could gather two sets of logfiles for analysis (for instructions go here How to Report MacOS Issues to DisplayLink:
  • One set of logfiles when the screen recording permission is not enabled (if you could include a screenshot of it I'd appreciate it as well - both in DisplayLink Manager and in the Security and Privacy).
  • Another set when it is working and approved.

Thank you,
Katarzyna
KatarzynaCzaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 07:47 PM   #7
solo-act

Thanks for finally responding to my post from January 28.

Per reporting link you provided, I'm sending connection description, logfiles and images now to technical-enquiries@synaptics.com

Who will be corresponding with me on this issue - will be you or someone else?
What is the expected turnaround time before someone gets back to me on this?

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatarzynaKowalczyk View Post
Hello,
Thank you for reaching out.
Can you please describe in detail how your monitors and dock are connected? What ports are used etc.?
Connection description:
  • Dock is connected from dock powered thunderbolt 3 output to laptop thunderbolt 3 input
  • 2 monitors are connected to the dock
  • 1 monitor is connected with a standard HDMI cable
  • 1 monitor is connected with a standard displayport cable to displayport output on dock

Also I'd appreciate if you could gather two sets of logfiles for analysis (for instructions go here How to Report MacOS Issues to DisplayLink:
  • One set of logfiles when the screen recording permission is not enabled (if you could include a screenshot of it I'd appreciate it as well - both in DisplayLink Manager and in the Security and Privacy).
  • Another set when it is working and approved.

Thank you,
Katarzyna
Old 02-27-2022, 08:04 PM   #8
solo-act

Cannot send report per instructions you sent - the message is too large.

Brilliant support so far....

<icon.png>
Message too large
Your message couldn't be delivered to technical-enquiries@synaptics.com because it exceeds the size limit. Try reducing the message size and resending.
The response from the remote server was:
550 5.7.0 Message Size Violation
Old 02-27-2022, 09:09 PM   #9
slimbim

I have the exact same issue, 99% of the time when the display goes to sleep and wakes up. I typically just quit and reopen the DisplayLink Manager, or unplug and replug in the DisplayLink adapter to fix it. Since I don't have to touch the Screen record permission setting and that's already checked and enabled, not sure if that is really the issue. Sounds like more some type of timing or race condition between the DisplayLink Manager / driver and the OS/display waking up.

Was hoping recent 1.6.1 version update of DisplayLink manager would help but seems to have the same problem.

I'm on macOS Monterey version 12.1 currently.
slimbim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 02:31 PM   #10
jdodoubleg

I have the same issue. The screen record permissions don't stick. I can go for some time before they need to be reset. Sometimes it can happen many days in a row and other times not at all.

MacOs 12.3.1
MacBook Pro (13-inch, M1, 2020)

DisplayLink Manager 1.6.1 (build 59.135)

I have just gone into the screen recording privacy settings and uncheck, then quit and reopen, then re-check then quit and reopen and everything works again.

Frustrating.
jdodoubleg is offline   Reply With Quote