Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software

Old 08-07-2021, 04:30 AM   #1
drmaxjuniorusa

Angry Displaylink + M1 not working with.plugable 14-in-1 usb c and thunderboard 3

HELLO,

I HAVE A NEW MACBOOKPRO M1, 16GB + DELL 24" + DELL 24" + Plugable 14-in-1

USB-C and Thunderbolt 3 Dock - Compatible with Mac and Windows, 96W Laptop

Charging, 2x HDMI 2.0 and DisplayPort, 7x USB ports, Ethernet, Audio, SD/MicroSD.

WITH MAC OS BIGSUR 11.5.1.

I tested the same configuration with my macbookpro intel and it worked, however with the m1, it only works one screen and still with everything cloudy. without definition. Can someone help me?
drmaxjuniorusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 12:13 PM   #2
rboerner
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmaxjuniorusa View Post
HELLO,

I HAVE A NEW MACBOOKPRO M1, 16GB + DELL 24" + DELL 24" + Plugable 14-in-1

USB-C and Thunderbolt 3 Dock - Compatible with Mac and Windows, 96W Laptop

Charging, 2x HDMI 2.0 and DisplayPort, 7x USB ports, Ethernet, Audio, SD/MicroSD.

WITH MAC OS BIGSUR 11.5.1.

I tested the same configuration with my macbookpro intel and it worked, however with the m1, it only works one screen and still with everything cloudy. without definition. Can someone help me?
Based on your description, it sounds like you are using the Plugable TBT3-UDZ docking station. Presuming for the moment that my understanding is correct, the TBT3-UDZ does not have DisplayLink technology inside. As a result, DisplayLink will not be able to assist in this specific case.

Intel-based Macs with Thunderbolt 3 can support up to two external displays via a single Thunderbolt 3 connection to a Thunderbolt 3 device.

The M1 MacBook Pro you are using can only support one external display via a Thunderbolt/USB4 connection to a Thunderbolt 3 device. Apple calls this out specifically under the 'Video support' section of their technical specifications --> https://support.apple.com/kb/SP824?locale=en_US

This is why two displays work when the dock is connected to your Intel Mac, and only one display works when connected to your M1 Mac. To put that another way, the limitation is internal to your M1 laptop.

In order to have more than one external display connected to your Mac, you would need to be using a docking station that has DisplayLink technology within it.
rboerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 04:00 AM   #3
drmaxjuniorusa

Unhappy it didn't help me much, I'll explain more

SO,
As soon as the update of displaylink 1.3 and 1.3.1 came out it was working, but after 1.4 it stopped working, as well as many macmini owners who were using dock stations and displaylink with up to 3 screens simultaneously, and after the update it stopped working . as you can see here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzzM8gOT1zI

So my question, why did it stop working?
drmaxjuniorusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 12:16 PM   #4
rboerner
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmaxjuniorusa View Post
SO,
As soon as the update of displaylink 1.3 and 1.3.1 came out it was working, but after 1.4 it stopped working, as well as many macmini owners who were using dock stations and displaylink with up to 3 screens simultaneously, and after the update it stopped working . as you can see here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzzM8gOT1zI

So my question, why did it stop working?
The docking station shown in the YouTube video you linked to is the Plugable UD-ULTC4K docking station. That docking station has DisplayLink technology in side.

Based on your original description, you are using the Plugable TBT3-UDZ docking station. That is a different product than the one shown in the video, and does NOT have DisplayLink technology inside.

If you are in fact using the TBT3-UDZ, then DisplayLink will not be able to help. In addition, the DisplayLink Manager Application will not affect the behavior of the TBT3-UDZ.

The other information in my previous post still applies.
rboerner is offline   Reply With Quote