Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software

Old 06-21-2018, 09:10 PM   #1
jbenvenuti

Default Black or Non-Functioning USB Screen on a Large Displaylink install

Hello,

I use a lot of Display link (6 Asus MB168B+ 2 more coming and one Dell Displaylink dock with 2 Monitors attached) setup in combination with My Dell Windows 10 Build 15063) E7470 laptop with Intel Integrated Graphics and docking station with 2 Displayport Monitors attached. So effectively I have 11 screens.

I have two issues I want to run by here that I'm hoping someone may answer.

The first issue is my 11th USB screen an Asus MB168B periodically works. But, more often that not, it either displays a black screen or shows a static windows background. It does report as available in the Display properties and it can be rearranged there. Moreover, a mouse and windows can be moved there, but the screen fails to display the content. I have tried to minimize the amount of USB 3.0 devices (Only 56 USB 3.0 Devices in total).

Secondly two other Displaylink Monitors in the same setup are refusing to upgrade their Firmware to the latest build and are stuck on earlier firmware. How can I force them to accept a new firmware build? I do not think that this is a factor with the first issue.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks, Ben
jbenvenuti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 01:49 PM   #2
jbenvenuti

A few things to add, I’m on the latest drivers for everything. The latest build of the Displaylink drivers and I’ve already followed the cleanup and reinstall procedure suggested in the KBs. The issue on the 11th monitor is not specific to one device but jumps around from one usb screen to another when I start up the computer in the morning. The number order is Not a factor.
Old 06-25-2018, 09:55 AM   #3
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Hello,

I will log a bug report to get this reproduced. We don't routinely test 11 displays as we only claim supporting 6. It's technically impossible to get a good test on 11 displays due to the test matrix size (machine, monitor, adapter, and connection tree) it represents.
There was an OS bug a while back, let's see if it came back.

For the firmware update, where do you get the firmware version from that tells you that?

Kind regards,
Alban

Report 28164 - 11th display black with multiple Asus MB168B+ and Dell dock

Where to download the latest DisplayLink drivers
How to clean up a corrupted installation
How to report issues to DisplayLink for a speedy resolution

Last edited by AlbanRampon; 06-25-2018 at 10:01 AM.
AlbanRampon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 09:07 PM   #4
qp6019352

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenvenuti View Post
Windows 10 Build 15063
Why not Build 17134?
qp6019352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 11:22 PM   #5
jbenvenuti

I'm in a corporate environment.
Old 07-06-2018, 07:51 PM   #6
jbenvenuti

OK to respond to the first question. The utility I am using is USBDeview v.2.75. At this point the firmware version I am seeing seems to be inconsequential to this issue as all are running the same displaylink software build 8.5 MR1.

I am now to 13 Monitors of which 8 are Asus MB168B monitors connected to a Plugable 10 port USB 3.0 48 watt hub and two are 19" Asus Monitors Connected to a Dell D3100 USB Dock ultimately connected to a Dell Advanced port replicator with two Display Port Connected 24" monitors and a Dell E7470 laptop using the native display as well. I have 3 displays either showing a blank or static windows screen which the mouse can be moved into as well as windows but are not able to display the content or mouse cursor when it is moved there. I am on the latest BIOS and drivers for everything. (Laptop Devices, Monitors and Dock)

Bottom line, anything beyond 10 screens does not work.

Last edited by jbenvenuti; 07-06-2018 at 07:56 PM.
Old 07-06-2018, 08:35 PM   #7
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Interesting.

Are the 3 missing always the last 3 you connect?
I would especially be interested in confirming all portable monitors work first, then you add the ones on the dock.

We knew of a bug in your version of Windows 10, fixed in the following one (build 16299), but the limit reached was lower before some would freeze.
I think it would be judicious to try Fall Creators Update instead of Creators Update.

Kind regards,
Alban

Old 07-06-2018, 09:39 PM   #8
jbenvenuti

Docking station monitors work always as well as HDMI connected monitors to the Dell 3100 USB Dock. It's isolated to the USB portable monitors regardless of Hub connection, and if I disconnect a functional portable monitor one of the non-functional monitors will start working so it's isolated to a specific monitor or number order I believe.
Old 07-06-2018, 09:50 PM   #9
AlbanRampon

But your mega hub is connected to the Dell docking station?
It could make the dock displays always be first.

Try and move the first non functioning display to the docking station high power port(s) and see if it works there. I doubt it... Issue is not enumeration as you've got the displays in the Windows display settings panel so they are up and the driver is running or they wouldn't be activated.

Easiest is to remove both monitors from the docking station, replug the non functional USB monitors. If then you've got two more displays updating then you've met the bug.

Otherwise, the last link in my signature explains how to gather logs. If you post here, only employees can download.

Kind regards,
Alban

Old 07-06-2018, 09:55 PM   #10
jbenvenuti

I'll see about getting approval to get the update and let you know.