Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2018, 02:48 PM   #1
steel

Default Desktop background changes color

So I'm having kind of an odd problem.

I've got a laptop (a Lenovo Yogo) that I take on and off of a USB 3.0 docking station from time to time. When I dock or undock I get some resolution issues, so I need to sign out / sign back in to Windows 10 to clear things up.

But here's the odd part. Whenever I do that my desktop background changes to "solid color" black. I can right click on the desktop, then click personalize and choose another color, but if I plug/unplug the docking station then sign out/in then it changes back to black.

Note that this is not the "black screen with nothing but a mouse pointer" problem that a lot of people seem to be reporting. Everything works totally normally and I can see all of my desktop icons, etc. It's just that the customizable desktop background color gets selected as "black".

Any thoughts?
steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 03:01 PM   #2
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Hello Steel,

I don't understand what resolution issue you might have whilst docking/undocking.
You may be experiencing scaling differences if your native resolution is very different from the external screen resolution. For instance, if you use a native 4K display on the laptop and only 1080p external displays, the icon size would be different but resolution would be correct.
Then only thing changing at logoff/logon would be scaling, not resolution.

The DisplayLink driver has no access to desktop objects: it only rendered sees pixels, and, depending on the dock model, the mouse cursor separately.
To me, the behaviour suggests you might have either profile preferences saved on a Microsoft account which is applied at login, or enforced by some kind of policy/script. Maybe you have an application running handling graphics.

Kind regards,
Alban

Where to download the latest DisplayLink drivers
How to clean up a corrupted installation
How to report issues to DisplayLink for a speedy resolution
AlbanRampon is offline   Reply With Quote