Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2015, 02:38 PM   #1
Techtomic

Default Three AOC monitors all working differently

I've got a Dell Inspiron 17 model 7737, which has 4 USB 3.0 ports. I also bought a powered USB 3.0 hub which can supply up to 2A per port, see http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00MLVOA7K

I bought three AOC monitors, model E1659Fwu, used, from a reputable company.

The first monitor works perfectly, straight away in any port of the USB hub or laptop.

The 2nd monitor works sometimes, but only on the two right hand ports on the laptop. Sometimes it keeps disconnecting and reconnecting. If plugged into the hub the connect/disconnect noise is heard repeatedly and screen backlight flickers on and off.

The 3rd monitor works only on the two right hand ports on the laptop. If plugged into the USB hub, the LED on the USB port on the hub flashes on and off in time with the disconnect/reconnect chime.

Any idea why they all behave differently? And why the first monitor 'just works'? Can I find out anything about different firmware versions or do some diagnostics?

Thanks!

Update: having read about the possible incompatibilities of firmware and Haswell/USB 3.0 I just tried experimenting with a combination of powered USB 3.0 hub, with an unpowered USB 2.0 hub. So the USB 2.0 hub is plugged into a port of the USB 3.0 hub. The aforementioned monitor 2 and 3 are connected to the USB 2.0 hub (for data) with the Y connectors going back into the powered USB 3.0 hub for power. The working monitor 1 is directly in the USB 3.0 hub. In this combination all three monitors fired up straight away with no problems! How strange is that.

Last edited by Techtomic; 01-16-2015 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Additional tests with USB 2.0 hub
Techtomic is offline   Reply With Quote