Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Linux and Open Source

Old 01-02-2021, 07:20 PM   #1
linuxmaddness

Exclamation Ubuntu 20.04 Boot Fail after DisplayLink Driver Installed ASUS TUF

I installed a fresh Ubuntu 20.04. The install went fine without a problem, the system had a boot issue which was resolved by adding nomodeset to grub. Then, I went to install the DisplayLink driver for my dock, following these instructions: https://support.displaylink.com/know...rticles/684649.

This seemed to work fine until I rebooted my laptop and was given an error message that shows:
"sof-audio-pc1 000:00:1f.3: error: no reply expected, recieved 0x0"
"HDMI HDA Codec ehdaud1o0D2:notifier register failed: err: -19"
"HDMI HDA Codec ehdaud1o0D2:ASoC: failed to probe component -19"
"sk1_hda_dsp_generic sk1_hda_dsp_generic: ASoC: failed to instantiate card -19"

that error message was seen on booting. It won't go any further than that, I can switch tty and do a sudo displaylink-installer uninstall to remove the driver and the laptop works fine, but obviously unable to use the dock and therefore my other monitors.

Can anyone help please?
linuxmaddness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 06:49 AM   #2
omegatheta

What worked for me was removing nomodeset.

Context being - after removing nomodeset, I could get past the hdaudio hdaudio C0D3: unable to bind the codec error onto the login screen and could log in, but my HP laptop would shut down abruptly - which is why I had nomodeset in the first place.

My NVIDIA drivers were messy. They wouldn't function, nor would they get installed properly.

After some forum reading, it turned out that nomodeset isn't a necessity if nvidia drivers are installed properly. I installed a fresh copy of Ubuntu 20.04 LTS, booted in keeping nomodeset, apt installed nvidia-utils-470, rebooted. Now NVIDIA drivers don't boot with nomodeset. Rebooted into a root shell in recover mode, verified NVIDIA drivers are working with nvidia-smi. Removed nomodeset from grub, and rebooted.

Everything was working fine now. Could install Display Link drivers and could reboot without any errors.
omegatheta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 10:53 PM   #3
gigiofreestyle

Default Same issue with dell Latitude and latest Ubuntu 20.04

I have installed the latest firmware of display link USB with version displaylink-driver-5.4.1-55.174.run and start or reboot of machine fails.

During boot there is no error and boot stop as following:

[ OK ] Started Snap Daemon. Starting Wait until snapd is fully seeded„.
[ OK ] Started Daemon for power management.
[ OK ] Finished Wait until snapd is fully seeded, Starting Load/Save Screen Backlight Brightness of becklight:intel_backlight...
[ OK ] Finished Load/Save Screen Backlight Brightness of becklight:intel_backlight. Starting Save/Restore Sound Card State...
[ OK ] Finished Save/Restore Sound Card State.
[ OK ] Reached target Sound Card.
[ OK ] Finished Network Manager Wait Online.
[ OK ] Reached target Network is Online. Starting Docker Application Container Engine...
[ OK ] Starting Tool to automatically collect and submit kernel crash signatures...
[ OK ] Started crash report submission daemon.
[ OK ] Started Tool to automatically collect and submit kernel crash signatures.
_

If i remove driver with: sudo displaylink-installer uninstall Ubuntu start correctly.

I'm not able to open a ticket because there is no error. Do you have some idea to see where could be a log to see the problem?

Thnaks

Last edited by gigiofreestyle; 11-04-2021 at 10:56 PM.
gigiofreestyle is offline   Reply With Quote