Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software

Old 10-11-2011, 02:53 AM   #1
RichMorin

Default "No input signal" block

I just installed DisplayLink Installer 1.7b3.dmg on an eight-core Mac Pro, running OSX 10.5.8. The machine has three DVI-based screens (2@25"; 1@30"). I'm using DisplayLink to add a 14" Toshiba screen for Skype, etc. I also plan to use the screen with my MacBook Air, under OSX 10.7.*

The added screen is working fine, but I now have an annoying blue block (about 3"x5") in the lower-right corner of one of my 25" screens. (This would be the upper-right corner, if the monitor were not rotated.) The block, which contains the white text "No input signal", is oriented vertically (ie, sitting in the upper right-hand corner of the physical monitor.

The block is not a window; specifically, it appears "in front" of windows. Also, when I tried to take a screenshot of it (with cmd-shift-4), all I got was the desktop image. When the block is being created, the white text shows up first, then the blue block itself.

I tried several ways to get rid of the block (eg, Detect Displays in System Preferences, power-cycling the monitors, and rebooting the Mac). I even powered off the monitor and then tried Detect Displays. None of these approaches made any useful difference: the block always reappeared.

My suspicion, FWIW, is that the driver is using what it thinks is "spare" display real estate (ie, off the edge of normal coordinates for real configurations) to store this nastygram, in case it is needed. However, my configuration uses a LOT of display real estate, so this strategy may not be working as planned.

Another possible consideration is the arrangement of my monitors (see screenshot at http://cfcl.com/rdm/g/screens.png). The 30" screen is normally oriented and has the menu bar. The 25" monitors are on the left and right sides, oriented vertically. The Toshiba sits at the "bottom" (ie, right-hand end) of the right-hand monitor. This arrangement might be confusing the code which is trying to find some spare display real estate.

-r

Last edited by RichMorin; 10-11-2011 at 01:40 PM.
RichMorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 06:35 AM   #2
RichMorin

It has been months since I posted this message, with no replies. I still have the blue block, even though I have upgraded my OS and the DisplayLink software. I also tried to uninstall the DisplayLink software; the block did not go away.

This is getting really annoying, folks. Is anyone home at DisplayLink?
Old 01-24-2012, 08:01 AM   #3
philip

Default Run Color sync utility

Run Color sync utility in your utilities folder. verify and repair. This might be a hardware issue.
philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 03:13 PM   #4
RichMorin

Quote:
Originally Posted by philip View Post
Run Color sync utility in your utilities folder. verify and repair. This might be a hardware issue.
Thanks for the suggestion. The utility didn't find any problems, but the monitor was confused for some reason. I was able to resolve this by doing a factory reset on the monitor.