Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software

Old 03-12-2015, 06:17 PM   #1
fuhrmanator

Unhappy Windows 8.1 forgets monitor setup after screensaver

I have a Dell XPS12 running windows 8.1 and the latest DisplayLink_7.7M4.exe. I recently upgraded from 7.4M2 installed. I removed DisplayLink Core and ran the removal tool per the instructions on the support site, then reinstalled 7.7M4 but still have this problem.

I have only one external monitor connected to a D3000 with ethernet, keyboard, mouse and audio.

My monitor is on a stand that is "above" where I place my laptop, so I position the monitors in the Windows "Screen Resolution" program vertically (external monitor is "above" laptop screen). However, whenever Windows goes into its screen save (after some inactivity), it's like Windows 8.1 "forgets" the screen setup. All my open windows get moved to my laptop's monitor, and/or the monitors are moved back to the default placement in "Screen Resolution" -- as if my laptop were to the left of my external monitor.

It's worth mentioning that I take my laptop to my classroom which has a HDMI input that I use twice a week. In those cases, the monitor setup should be horizontal (as the default).

How can I revert to the previous version of the software (it seemed to be less trouble). When I downloaded that software and ran it, it tells me that the DisplayLink software is already up to date. Do I first have to remove the old version?
fuhrmanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 03:30 PM   #2
JamesH

Hi,

Yes please uninstall the M4 version before installing to the M2 version.

Thanks,
James
JamesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 12:07 AM   #3
fuhrmanator

Hi James - thanks for your answer.

I indeed uninstalled M4 and reverted to M2 with the same problems.

Furthermore, when I first move a window to the "forgotten" desktop, the D3000 seems to crash (the screen turns a random color or freezes) and Windows 8.1 tells me that the "last USB device connected was not recognized". I hear the USB disconnect sounds. My ethernet, mouse, keyboard all work fine, but the monitor is blank.

I went to Dell's site and I (painfully) installed all the latest driver files I could find, but none of this solves anything. I am starting to wonder if it's a hardware (D3000) problem. The time I have spent on this problem is surely worth the $ of a new port replicator.

Any other ideas?
fuhrmanator is offline   Reply With Quote