Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software

Old 07-18-2018, 05:46 PM   #421
Neo.aka.Darkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by donluca View Post
I was about to ask if anyone has tried the new Mojave beta
Mojave Developer Beta 4: Still forced AirPlay with mirrored display.
Neo.aka.Darkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 11:44 PM   #422
donluca

I'm curious as to what technical challenges the DisplayLink team has been dealing with. It's been several months since Mac OS 10.13.4 release and while it's probably true that Apple made drastic changes to how video output is handled to enable support of external graphic cards, I'm surprised that a competent team of software developers hasn't been able to find a proper solution other than the AirPlay hack.
donluca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 08:55 AM   #423
MAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by donluca View Post
I'm curious as to what technical challenges the DisplayLink team has been dealing with. It's been several months since Mac OS 10.13.4 release and while it's probably true that Apple made drastic changes to how video output is handled to enable support of external graphic cards, I'm surprised that a competent team of software developers hasn't been able to find a proper solution other than the AirPlay hack.
At the moment only possibility if you use three monitors like me is to switch back to Sierra. Of course, it's painful but at least you can use your monitors.

I have been following this thread for a long time and I haven't seen anything positive.
MAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 10:19 AM   #424
Pbowater

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC View Post
At the moment only possibility if you use three monitors like me is to switch back to Sierra. Of course, it's painful but at least you can use your monitors.

I have been following this thread for a long time and I haven't seen anything positive.
I use three monitors, built in mac air monitor, one airplay, and one via display port.
Pbowater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 05:51 PM   #425
MAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pbowater View Post
I use three monitors, built in mac air monitor, one airplay, and one via display port.
I meant three externals, one Ultrawide 2560x1080 via thunderbolt and two 1920x1080p monitors via DisplayLink all driven on a Macbook Air. Of course, its worked well all the way from El Capitan without any hitches
MAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 10:50 PM   #426
Gudd

Quote:
You can if you want upgrade to 10.13.3 from Sierra. I wiped, went back to Sierra then upgraded to 10.13.3. It was a major pain in the ass, especially when I discovered that my time machine backup would not restore but I just took it as an omen that I should give my laptop a spring clean! I didn't lose anything in the end except three days of my life I'll never get back.

Wish they would sort this though as I now have an external GPU setup that I really want to use at home but still need the display link dock for work so am still stuck because I'm not shelling out for a 2nd eGPU setup for work!!!
Gudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 10:30 AM   #427
donluca

Quote:

I have a 4 monitor setup: main iMac 27" screen, two vertical screens by the sides and a fourth horizontal high end photography monitor which I use for photo postprocessing and editing.

My issue is that the airplay trick won't let me rotate the monitors, because I need the direct connection for my photography monitor to show the entire range of colors it is capable of and my iMac has only two thunderbolt ports.

So right now whenever I need to work on photos, I need to detach one of the vertical monitors and connect the high end one and all the windows around will scatter and make a mess. Thank God there's the Stay app which will restore the window position and sizes when I get back to the two vertical ones.
Old 07-20-2018, 04:10 PM   #428
Sofla David

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudd View Post
You can if you want upgrade to 10.13.3 from Sierra. I wiped, went back to Sierra then upgraded to 10.13.3. It was a major pain in the ass, especially when I discovered that my time machine backup would not restore but I just took it as an omen that I should give my laptop a spring clean! I didn't lose anything in the end except three days of my life I'll never get back.

Wish they would sort this though as I now have an external GPU setup that I really want to use at home but still need the display link dock for work so am still stuck because I'm not shelling out for a 2nd eGPU setup for work!!!
I also wiped and clean installed Sierra (currently at 10.12.6) from scratch because I did not have a pre 10.13.4 backup. I would love to upgrade to High Sierra 10.13.3 (and then turn off updates) in order to be able to regain some High Sierra functionality (like automatically unlocking my MacBook Pro when wearing my Apple Watch 3).

Unfortunately, I have not been able to find the installer to upgrade from Sierra, to [pre-10.13.4] High Sierra. I found the ones to upgrade to 10.13.3 if you already have Sierra, but they don't appear to work if you are not already on High Sierra.

Any suggestions, or a link on how you got from 12.12.x to 10.13.3?

Last edited by Sofla David; 07-20-2018 at 04:13 PM.
Sofla David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 05:04 PM   #429
rwr9012

Default Tired of Waiting

For those of you that were tired of waiting for a fix to work on High Sierra, just wanted to let you know I tested out the dell usb-c adapter and it works for the dual monitor setup.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-gr...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
rwr9012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 01:42 PM   #430
donluca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofla David View Post
Any suggestions, or a link on how you got from 12.12.x to 10.13.3?
I *think* I still have the original image to High Sierra 10.13.1. From there you can manually update to 10.13.3.

If you give me a bit of time I can check this and at that point is just a matter of making an image out of it and upload it somewhere.

EDIT: yup, found it, it should be .1 or .2 at best. Ripping it right now, will upload somewhere.

EDIT 2: There you go:

Installation image: https://mega.nz/#!Z6gCQSbD!O6ZoaUvLR...4opkVyLQQrTO8Y

Combo update to 10.13.3: https://support.apple.com/kb/dl1953

Last edited by donluca; 07-21-2018 at 02:52 PM.