Xantchi

Default Mac Mini Issue (help!)

Hi All,

Hardware
Mac1 Mini
Sumsung 34" screen
2 Acer 24" screens
Thunderbolt 4 USB-C adapter

Recently swapped from windows to Mac (yesterday) and I did my research or so I thought about how to hook 3 screens up. The issue I am facing is I have the display link app when I plug the thunderbolt 4 into the mac it doesn't give me the option to have 3 screens it doesn't even recognize that there are screens attached.

I am sure this is a me problem, what do I need to buy or do here when the display link doesn't recognize other screens?

TIA for the help
Xantchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 12:18 PM   #2
rboerner
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xantchi View Post
Hi All,

Hardware
Mac1 Mini
Sumsung 34" screen
2 Acer 24" screens
Thunderbolt 4 USB-C adapter

Recently swapped from windows to Mac (yesterday) and I did my research or so I thought about how to hook 3 screens up. The issue I am facing is I have the display link app when I plug the thunderbolt 4 into the mac it doesn't give me the option to have 3 screens it doesn't even recognize that there are screens attached.

I am sure this is a me problem, what do I need to buy or do here when the display link doesn't recognize other screens?

TIA for the help
Can you please provide the brand and specific model number of (or a direct web link to) the 'Thunderbolt 4 USB-C adapter' you are using?
rboerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 03:01 PM   #3
ScreamCZE

Hello,

You have to use a DisplayLink-based docking station. Thunderbolt 4 docking station is a completely different technology.
As mentioned by rboerner - please let us know the exact model of the adapter/docking station.
ScreamCZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 04:58 PM   #4
Xantchi

Hi guys' thanks for the response

https://www.newegg.com/plugable-tech...9SIA2XBFRE3788

It's this one here.
Old 02-07-2022, 12:17 PM   #5
rboerner
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xantchi View Post
Hi guys' thanks for the response

https://www.newegg.com/plugable-tech...9SIA2XBFRE3788

It's this one here.
The device you purchased is a Plugable TBT4-HUB3C Thunderbolt 4 hub. The TBT4-HUB3C does NOT use DisplayLink technology.

As a result, DisplayLink will not be able to assist you with the TBT4-HUB3C.

My impression based on your original description is that you are using an Apple Mac Mini 2020 model with an Apple M1 processor.

Presuming for the moment that my understanding is correct, the M1 Mac mini supports a maximum of two external displays. One via the built-in HDMI video output, and one via the desktop's Thunderbolt/USB4 ports. Apple calls this out under the 'Video Support' section of their technical specifications here --> https://support.apple.com/kb/SP823?locale=en_US

In order to add a third external display to your M1 Mac mini you will need to use a product based on DisplayLink technology. DisplayLink has a guide to locating products based on their technology here --> https://www.synaptics.com/products/d...ylink-products
rboerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 01:21 PM   #6
Xantchi

rboerner thanks for your help here!