Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software

Old 02-03-2022, 01:33 PM   #1
rebaser

Default Disconnecting : Blank Screen

I have the DisplayLink successfully working but ....

When i disconnect I generally get a blank screen or my laptop reboots. If I get a blank screen; then the only way to continue is to reboot the laptop (by holding down the power button)
On the laptops my touch bar it still believes I have my two monitors connected, but will not display anything on the laptop screen. Aso reconnecting the USB-C cable the monitors that were working do not detect the laptop any more.

Details
---------
macOS Monterey 12.2
MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019)

Any ideas on how to investigate or resolve this problem, I can not see anything in the troubleshoot guide

Thanks
rebaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 03:23 PM   #2
solo-act

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebaser View Post
On the laptops my touch bar it still believes I have my two monitors connected, but will not display anything on the laptop screen. Aso reconnecting the USB-C cable the monitors that were working do not detect the laptop any more.

Details
---------
macOS Monterey 12.2
MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019)

Any ideas on how to investigate or resolve this problem, I can not see anything in the troubleshoot guide

Thanks
Do you have DisplayLink running and in the top menu bar where you have clock, battery etc.? Look for an icon with 2 interlinked rectangles. If it's not there, then the application is not running and external displays will not work. You can launch the application click on the icon and see if the "login screen extension status" app is installed. If not, there should be a link to install.

That extension will activate external screens for computer login when your laptop is in clamshell mode.

If DisplayLink icon is in the top menu bar and there's an exclamation point in the icon, you can click and it'll tell you it doesn't have screen record permission.

I have exact same laptop and OS as you. The repeatable problem that DisplayLink has not addressed in my posts is whenever my laptop (which is clamshell mode) goes to sleep or I tell it to sleep, it will wake up and the installed "login screen extension status" will wake up the external displays.

Here's the problem I'm having: as soon as I log in AFTER waking the computer from sleep, the screens go black and THE SCREEN RECORD PERMISSION that was working perfectly before sleep IS FORGOTTEN.

Only 2 things correct the situation:
  1. Opening the laptop, unchecking and re-checking screen record permission for DisplayLink in system preferences > security & privacy > screen recording. This will activate external screens.
  1. Rebooting the external dock the screens are connected to.
solo-act is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 07:25 AM   #3
rebaser

When connected to my screens, DisplayLink works great. My problem is when I remove my laptop, it then breaks. It appears to never realize and nothing is displayed on my laptop screen. The only way I can fix this is by hard rebooting (holding down the power button for 10s)
Old 02-04-2022, 05:19 PM   #4
solo-act

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebaser View Post
When connected to my screens, DisplayLink works great. My problem is when I remove my laptop, it then breaks. It appears to never realize and nothing is displayed on my laptop screen. The only way I can fix this is by hard rebooting (holding down the power button for 10s)
Not sure if this helps, but our MacBook Pro Intel 16" laptops have a somewhat unique feature of automatic graphics switching. Unless something has changed, DisplayLink is not coded to support this so you have to turn it off.

Go to system preferences > battery > and make sure "automatic graphics switching" is UNCHECKED in the power adapter and battery categories.

If "removing my laptop" includes disconnecting from power, and your laptop is set to automatic graphics switching, it WILL switch graphics chips on-the-fly when you unplug power, and I don't think DisplayLink likes that. IIRC, my laptop would go black and only a force restart would get screen running again.
solo-act is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 08:53 AM   #5
rebaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo-act View Post
Not sure if this helps, but our MacBook Pro Intel 16" laptops have a somewhat unique feature of automatic graphics switching. Unless something has changed, DisplayLink is not coded to support this so you have to turn it off.

Go to system preferences > battery > and make sure "automatic graphics switching" is UNCHECKED in the power adapter and battery categories.

If "removing my laptop" includes disconnecting from power, and your laptop is set to automatic graphics switching, it WILL switch graphics chips on-the-fly when you unplug power, and I don't think DisplayLink likes that. IIRC, my laptop would go black and only a force restart would get screen running again.
Automatic graphics switching makes sense in this case, as I connect via a USB-c cable that also supplies power.

I will try when I am back in the office on Wednesday. Thanks (really appreciate it)
Old 03-02-2022, 03:18 PM   #6
rebaser

I eventually had to use the gSwitch Application to stop Macos switching between discrete and integrated graphics and this seems to have resolved my problem