Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software

Old 08-01-2017, 01:26 AM   #1
sdmachead

Default USB ports stop working

I'm running Mac OS 10.10.5 Yosemite with the DisplayLink 3.0 drivers on a MacBook Air 11". After the initial installation everything seems to be running ok but after an hour or so of computer usage the USB ports on my computer stop working. My USB to HDMI adapter is plugged into it's own USB port and the keyboard and mouse that are plugged into a different USB port. But for whatever reason, they both end up not working and the only way to fix things is to reboot. I've tried upgrading and downgrading the drivers but the issue remains.

Anyone else experiencing something similar?
sdmachead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 03:10 PM   #2
paultzirides

Default Sounds like an issue with your MacBook?

I had a MacBook Air 11" from 2011/2012 and it worked like a champ with DisplayLink - never an issue with any ports. I would lean towards a motherboard problem, especially if the ports stay down after disconnecting the DisplayLink products. It doesn't sound temperature-related since a reboot solves the problem.
paultzirides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 10:25 PM   #3
sdmachead

Quote:
Originally Posted by paultzirides View Post
I had a MacBook Air 11" from 2011/2012 and it worked like a champ with DisplayLink - never an issue with any ports. I would lean towards a motherboard problem, especially if the ports stay down after disconnecting the DisplayLink products. It doesn't sound temperature-related since a reboot solves the problem.
Do you mind sharing what OS version and driver version you were using?
Old 08-02-2017, 08:33 AM   #4
Carlo
Mac Team

Hi sdmachead,

Being a USB to HDMI adapter a power issue is always the most likely, but it's strange that it would affect the other ports... You may want to look at Console and check for the specific error messages when this happens.
In any case I'd try to connect the adapter through a powered USB hub - even a USB2 powered hub would do for this experiment.

Carlo
Carlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 11:31 PM   #5
sdmachead

I think I figured out the culprit behind my USB woes. After trying numerous different configurations on my Macbook Air, I have discovered that the DisplayLink driver does not get along well with Logitech's Control Center v. 3.9.4 system preferences software.

If I have the Logitech software installed without DisplayLink, everything's fine and the same the other way around. But if they are both installed, even if the USB to HDMI adapter is not plugged in to my computer, the USB ports stop working eventually (and sometimes I get logged out right after the ports fail).

So my solution was to uninstall Logitech's software and so far, I've been running for over a day now without the USB ports failing on me.

Just wanted to note that DisplayLink v. 3.1 does not work with Yosemite at all but 3.0 works fine.

Also the Mac DisplayLink support tool app that is found here - http://support.displaylink.com/knowl...to-displaylink does not seem to work properly in Yosemite. I ran the app and let it sit for 30 minutes and the app never left the "Collecting system information. This process may take a few minutes to complete" screen.

Last edited by sdmachead; 08-02-2017 at 11:32 PM. Reason: typo